Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Picture Books about Washington DC Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ElizaPA
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 30 2008 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote ElizaPA

I hope you all can help. I've been having trouble coming up with picture books or historical fiction related to our nation's capital. In particular, I'm interested in stories related to the major landmarks, their architects or the stories of people. I have found "N is for our Nation's Capital". Also, the Capital Mysteries series. Finally, a wonderful picture book called "Vinnie and Abraham" about a young woman who convinced Congress to grant her the commission to sculpt the statue of Abraham Lincoln which stands in the Capitol Rotunda.

Does anyone know of any others?

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2008 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Our favorite is Capital! Washington DC from A-Z.

Link

It is a simple piture book with general tour of landmarks in DC (plus the Pentagon). There are 4 rhymed lines plus little notes on each page. We use it as a jumping off point for our field trips.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2008 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

There is a whole series of them by Peter and Carol Barnes - about the White House, Capitol, Supreme Court etc - I am on my way out - I will link you to my blog where I have them (we used them for our US Elections and Govt studies) and all the kids from 3-11 loved them.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 31 2008 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

ElizaPA wrote:
In particular, I'm interested in stories related to the major landmarks, their architects or the stories of people.

Finally, a wonderful picture book called "Vinnie and Abraham" about a young woman who convinced Congress to grant her the commission to sculpt the statue of Abraham Lincoln which stands in the Capitol Rotunda.

Does anyone know of any others?

I think that Vinnie and Abraham book is very nice as well - I learned a lot!

So here are a couple picture books focusing on the White House and it's past occupants that are fun for kids.

Dolley Madison Saves Geroge Washington - Since Dolley and her husband were the first to live in the White House and she was quite a hostess, there is a lot of White House coverage in here (and the story of her saving the portrait in the War of 1812, whence the title).

These two are "seasonal" but really could be read anytime - they give a behind the scences look at the White House from the perspective of presidents' children:
A Christmas Tree in the White House, about the Teddy Roosevelt children, funny story, those children were quite a adventurous bunch!
Thanksgiving in the Whitehouse - Lincoln children, sweet story

The Wall - about a visit to the Vietnam War Memorial, sad/touching

Farmer George Plants a Nation is a fabulous book - I can't say enough about it. It's not really about Washington DC but Mount Vernon. I still consider that the "area," so think you should consider it.

Our White House: Looking in Looking Out is one I found while searching for book links. It is to be published Sept. 2008. Our library has it on order and I just reserved it. It looks wonderful and very much like what you might be looking for - but is a larger volume, not really a picture book per se. I love the illustrations already.

I have a few more ideas on "people" books that I'll add later.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2008 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Not about the landmarks, but good Washington D.C. books...

You Can't Take a Balloon into the National Gallery

Woodrow, the White House Mouse

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2008 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Jen L. wrote:
Not about the landmarks, but good Washington D.C. books...

You Can't Take a Balloon into the National Gallery

Woodrow, the White House Mouse

The series I was going to link to was the Woodrow the White House Mouse ones - lots of them by the same authors.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2008 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

These books look interesting...

(I'm getting this one, I think...)
The Inside-Outside Book of Washington D.C.

Vietnam Veteran Memorial

Korean War Memorial

Here's one of the Barnes books...

Washington D.C. A, B, C's

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

ElizaPA
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 01 2008 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote ElizaPA

Thanks everyone. All good suggestions. I could kick myself. Since I intended to borrow the books from the library, I was using its catalog and the search tool isn't as powerful or accurate. I should have thought to do searches on Amazon and just searched specific titles on the library's site.

Thanks again.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Picture Window books has a series called American Symbols illustrated by Matthew Skeens. They tell the history of and info about the buildings/statues/etc. The Washington DC ones include Capitol, Lincoln Memorial, White House, and Supreme Court. Our library had a couple so I just checked some out to see what they were like. I think they fit the bill of what you are looking for. The one I just read on the U.S. Capitol does talk about the designer and the history of it being build and damaged and redone with a pretty entertaining text.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 10 2010 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

The Easter Parade
Martin Luther King Jr books
Journey Around Washington DC
MaryM wrote:
Dolley Madison Saves George Washington (Don Brown) – about the burning of Washington DC during the War of 1812

Who Let Muddy Boots into the White House? A Story of Andrew Jackson (Robert Quackenbush)

Chari wrote:
N is for our Nation's Capitol: A Washington DC Alphabet

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version