Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. Joseph Picture books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 21 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

The St. Joseph picture books of the saints by Fr. Lovasik....

I see they are recommended by several programs like Kolbe for the early elementary years. They are only $1.50 each, and there are many titles.

Are these well done- pictures not too scary, etc? Do kids like to hear them read aloud? Thoughts, opinions?

I'm considering buying a few, but I have no local source to see them first.

Thanks

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2008 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

My children love them. Everytime we go to the local Catholic book shop, they each get to pick one out. Mine have never been scared by the pictures and they do enjoy them as read alouds.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2008 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thank you, Angi. Your input is very helpful!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

My kids LOVE them!!! There have been some pictures that they question, but we just read about that saint to find out what it means. My kids know that many saints died unpleasant deaths. But it's how they held onto their faith even during the pain that makes them saints. We have so many!!!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 24 2008 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have several of the Fr. Lovasik saints series (and a ton of the St. Joseph picture books.) They are nice, succint little bios of the saints. I don't remember any of the images being too scary - I think there's one of St. Francis holding our dear Lord on the Cross with His wounds illustrated. I flipped through them and nothing jumped out at me, Melinda.

I actually prefer the illustrations in Miniature Stories of the Saints written by Fr. Lord and originally published in '43. There are 4 in the set and they aren't very expensive. The books are slightly smaller than the St. Joseph books, but each illustration looks like an image of an older holy card.

I hate to throw another option at you at a time when yet another option can be overwhelming...but...there it is.

Allright...I'll stop overwhelming you now.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2008 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I agree, Jennifer! I love those Daniel Lord saints books. I grew up with those, just LOVED them!

I have some of the St. Joseph picture books. I have heard that new ones are changing a bit, but I haven't done a comparison. My son likes them. I'm not fond of them because they have no spine, they fall apart easily, and they don't call or draw in my son from the bookshelf. But they are still solid little books. Don't a few of the curriulum programs incorporate them?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2008 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

We love these books in our household - the pictures are well-done and artistic. Some are better than others, but I don't find any of them "obnoxious" (and I find a LOT of supposed artwork "obnoxious" )

I've not had problems with the lack of spines and my son loves them, but I always pull out a certain few that are displayed with their covers facing out rather than just the side so he can choose which ones he would like to read or take to Mass with us.
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2008 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I'm embarrassed to admit that the Fr Lovasik books sit on my shelf and I never use them I also have the Daniel Lord books and they are my preference. His books on First Confession and Communion are just perfect.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version