Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Daily Bible reading Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 21 2008 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I had planned on my dd (age 9) reading the daily readings and using the Gospel for narration. But while sorting books I found a "Read the Bible in a Year" book for children. She doesn't have a good grasp of chronology of the Bible, so I thought this would be a good plan instead.

We also read "Daily Saints for Young Readers" each day.

Any ideas of which would be better, Mass readings or Bible stories?

LeeAnn

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2008 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

LeeAnn -- we found that reading the OT thru helped solidify our ancient history unit. When reading the Bible in order, it really helps place things and events ... especially if you use something like the Navarre Bible Commentary on the Pentateuch (OT) or one of the gospels (like Matthew). At first, your daughter would probably need help reading the commentary, but she'd get it after a while (it's really well written).

Another option, for the NT, would be reading Marigold Hunt's A Life of Our Lord for Children which is more story-like.

ETA: Altho doing the daily readings would be a good idea, it would be hard for your daughter to make the links of the story-line as the readings don't necessarily follow in order .... if you know what I mean?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2008 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Thank you for the links Mary.

I think sequential Bible reading is the plan for her, and my older son will read aloud the dailies at lunch.

LeeAnn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version