Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Pre/K World Atlas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 21 2008 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

Anyone have any suggestions for a living book or world atlas that could be used for a pre-K/K?

My son is absolutely fascinated with maps and geography
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2008 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

We have several around here since my son also loves geography - all packed still (we just moved!). None of them are my "favorite" or "ideal". I was hoping others would post suggestions.

I'd like to see something that has less *clutter* of information and more real information - with real pictures (no cartoon styles). I've not found the perfect ones, but when I get unpacked, I'll share the titles of the best of what we have.
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 24 2008 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

That sounds exactly what I am looking for too!
Thanks for sharing what you have. We moved a few months ago, still have boxes! :) So, know what you are going thru!

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2008 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I find that just going into the bookstore and looking at the Children's atlases helps :) I picked up a cheap one though, because I decided that Google Earth and the library could do most of the rest ;)

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2008 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Ok, I got some things unpacked AND I just got my hands on another atlas I like:

Our almost favorite initial one is from First Discovery (Scholastic puts them out - the ones with clear pages that when turned change the pictures...): Atlas of People (I've seen other geography ones as well, but don't have them).

The one I saw today that I just fell in love with is "National Geographic Student Atlas of the World" which I think could be used from Preschool for basic information through probably 4th or 5th grade at least. The one I saw today was published in 2001 (there may be others???), and I thought it was comprehensive in its topics without going too far in depth (not overwhelming for young ones). The photos (to state the obvious) are the most beautiful I've seen in just about any atlas.

I'll be looking for that one on Ebay or elsewhere.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

Catholic Mommy,
Thanks for the update and the great recommendations!
Sylvia

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version