Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: 4th of July Cookout Ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 30 2008 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm hosting our annual 4th of July cookout for my local extended family, but we're also making it my father's 65th birthday bash.

I usually do the standby hamburger and hotdog route, but I was thinking of doing something a bit different. I don't want too time consuming or expensive. I was thinking maybe a bbq brisket?

I'd love to hear suggestions and recipes! What are you planning for your 4th of July?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2008 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Jenn, I went to the butcher on Friday to find out if they have brisket over here. I gave the explanation, "You know it is what you would make corned beef out of." Well, I came home with a brisket all rolled up (that is the way I usually find roasts here).

Well, I am going to dig up my most favorite bbq sauce and try to cook it in the oven (we do not have a grill yet). Mum used to cook them in those bags you can buy in the store (what are they called). I am not sure that we have them here, but you can also use a brown paper grocery sack.

I will also serve some lovely sausage (we have many wonderful English and Welsh sausages here). I will probably serve coleslaw, sauteed peppers and onions, and a tossed salad.

As you might have guessed, dh has to work that day ... they do not celebrate Independence Day here! So no fireworks or music unless we create it ourselves!

That is the plan. I am interested to see what others are doing.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2008 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Jenn,
We have a party every year with the standard hot dog/ hamburger menu. One thing my dh does to lessen the standing at the grill/ watching the meat thing is to cook the burgers all at once (we get the box of frozen burgers from Costco. Surprisingly good!) and put them in a aluminum buffet pan with warm water. Then he can just throw one on the fire for a couple of minutes when someone requests one.

We always provide the meat and drinks. Guests bring side dishes and desserts. Everyone brings some fireworks for our display at dusk.

Off to clean my house!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 01 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Carole, please share your brisket recipe when you have a chance!

It's our traditional cookout menu once again. My mother will be adding steaks for the grownups, but hamburgers and hotdogs for the kids. Dh didn't want me to get fancy and change tradition.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Anyone making a flag cake?

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 01 2008 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Tina

The flag cake looks so good! I haven't gone to the store yet to get our dinner for the 4th, so I just might try that one this year.

My husband turns 40 this July 4th! We aren't having a big party because we don't live near family. Plus, he's on a bodybuilder's "getting cut" diet . We'll be having low fat hamburgers on wheat buns (surprisingly my kids like them) and maybe turkey dogs. And some sides that he will probably avoid. And even though it's his birthday (and a big one at that) there is not a cake on the planet that he will touch right now. Luckily he doesn't care if we have one in his honor.

We love to go see the local fireworks, but we just don't do it if it's 90 degrees and humid. So we'll have to see how the weather is.

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2008 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Jenn, I made this cake one year. It was so good. May have to make it again this year. We have lots of berries around.

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 05 2008 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Tina

I "attempted" the flag cake! It tasted great, but looked more like polka dots instead of stripes . I posted about it   here. My dc and dh loved it, so I guess that's all that matters! Thanks for the idea, Jenn!

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2008 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

The brisket was great! I could not find those brown-n-bags (I did not look that closely, however). So I made the sauce Texas style and then placed the brisket in the pan and cooked and cooked it over low heat covered with the sauce for about five hours. My family likes meat very tender, and it came out perfect for us.

I saved some of the sauce to serve on top of the brisket. My dh and my dc love it that way. And for dessert, I served mixed berries over Bird's custard with double cream whipped up nicely. There was none left!

Our only downfall was no fireworks. By the time we could see them on television it would have been the middle of the night. So we watched an old Elvis film instead. I hope everyone had a wonderful Independence Day.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version