Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: Being Intentional in HSing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 27 2008 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

Willa mentioned being intentional in homeschooling. There seems to be a lot of wisdom locked up in this (not so little) word.

I would love to continue to learn from ponderings about what it means to be intentional in our homeschooling.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2008 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I would, too.   I was just thinking that though I used the word, I don't know precisely what I mean by it. OR at least, I have intuitions about it, but it would be hard to put into words.

From the dictionary:

----------------

1. A course of action that one intends to follow. 2a. An aim that guides action; an objective. b. intentions Purpose with respect to marriage: honorable intentions. 3. Medicine The process by which or the manner in which a wound heals. 4. Archaic --import; meaning

-------------

Just to start it off,
Elizabeth's post called On Being Intentional -- though it is about housekeeping, made me reflect on my life as a whole and my homeschooling in particular.

She writes (substitute hsing for housekeeping) -- and I've excerpted the points for reflection and action, particularly the ones that seem to apply to this situation:

Quote:

I think that intentional housekeeping is how we establish and maintain rhythm and conquer the deadly sin of sloth.

Claim a quiet moment and think about what you want for your home.

Imagine Sunday mornings and the scramble to get to church. How can that look different? Imagine meal times. Imagine holidays. Imagine the ways in which your house will support your vision for family life. As you engage your imagination, jot down those things which come to mind. It's all fair game right now. Don't let the things that pop into your head be distractions; all of them to shape the picture.

Now, what stands in the way?

Set about making a list. Don't let yourself get caught up in a fussy system of notebooks or card files or anything else.

What needs to be done in your house every day?

What is necessary in a day to make life pleasant and peaceable?

The list needs to make sense within the context of your family. No one can make the list for you.

Which days are you home all day? Which ones call you out into the world? Which days precede days with special needs?

Now think about your children. Who is capable of helping with which tasks? Who is home at certain times? How can you share the load?

It's not a perfect list. PRINT IT OUT. Hang it on your refrigerator. Live it for a week. Make notes on it. Tweak it. Think, think, think about it. But do it. Do those tasks as you have listed them for a whole week. At the end of the week, look at your notes and adjust.Then do it again. Give yourself three weeks before you really will have nailed your routine.

I hope this helps give us a start! Again, I'd love to discuss it, too.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

In education classes, you learn that before you plan a lesson, you write a "facilitory set"--three points to clarify your purpose.
1. What: What are you going to do?
2. Why? Why are you doing it? What is the goal of the lesson?
3. How? How are you going to accomplish this goal? What will your materials, methods, and plan be?

This might be a nice way to start thinking through "being intentional". If you think about your family studies and each students' core subjects and answer each of these questions, you should get a pretty clear of "the aim that guides your action" and "the course of action you intend to follow".

I might to try to think a few these through and post later today. Hope that idea helps.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

sevenblessings
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 27 2008 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote sevenblessings

I'm glad this was brought up. I read Willa's comment yesterday about "intentional homeschooling" and haven't stopped thinking about it!!

This morning during my errands, I was thinking how I could be more 'intentional' with our homelearning today. I had no idea where to start. I have attempted to set routines down before, stemming from a list, but that seems so unnatural for us. I'm thinking that is not what is necessarily meant by 'intentional homeschooling'.

I want our homelearning to be more of a natural rhythm instead of a forced sit down for circle time, etc. I'm not sure how to acheive 'intentional homeschooling' without 'structured time', but I'm all ears for suggestions and thoughts.

Back to Top View sevenblessings's Profile Search for other posts by sevenblessings

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2008 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

Pondering as I write...

So, being intentional seems to start with a vision for your home and your homeschooling. What do you want your days to look like? What is the atmosphere (borrowing from CM) you want in your homeschool? Then, it would seem important to define what ideas you want to spread before your children over the course of a defined time period. I think building in "margins" (borrowing from Lissa Wiley I believe) is important here to avoid feeling rushed. In other words, what does "Education is a Life" look like in your home?

(I think I will enjoy a review of the recent discussions on Education Is...)

Once you have the vision firmly in place, you can devise a plan to make that vision a reality. Then, you have to execute the plan consistenly (tweaking as necessary).

While executing, it seems essential to live in the moment and not rush to get things done or fall into the trap of "checking things off of the list." You need to enjoy the unfolding of your vision instead of mentally jumping ahead to the next step.

Another one of the traps I seem to fall into is thinking too much about what the school me (that's the part of me with lots of school experience) says I SHOULD be doing. This is usually very different from the vision I come up with for our homeschool when I simply use my imagination and heart.

Maybe being intentional lends peace of mind? Or is it the other way around?

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 27 2008 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I wrote about being intentional with regards to home education in this post, which is part of a book study on Education Is... Like Willa, I applied the same philosophy as with homemaking... In part, I wrote
Quote:
To me, intentional is what happens when I ponder what I want life to look like. I think about a a certain component, whether it's the smooth running of my household or the academic development of a child in his last four years at home, or the nurturing of a love of literature, and I mull it over. I think about it as you take a walk in the morning, the rhythm of stroller wheels setting the cadence of my thoughts. I discuss it with my husband before I go to sleep at night. I pose questions to Our Lord again and again as I offer it in prayer. Then a plan begins to take shape in my thoughts and soon, the plan can be put into action. It is intentional action. It is a thoughtful, prayerful approach to life itself.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version