Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: a new type of CCD?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 08 2005 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I've been searching around for a history of the modern parish CCD class in an effort to understand why it is so ineffective in many cases and also to give more basis to my disappointment with my own classes growing up ('65-'76) and my reluctance to plop my own kids down in a classroom setting on 2-3 seperate weeknights to learn what should be a part of every minute of daily life.

I didn't find much in the way of written history and I'd appreciate any help in that area. Maybe, just maybe (though I have no data to back this up)CCD classes were a last ditch effort to educate the huge numbers of Catholic kids who migrated to the public schools and the format is just a duplicate of secular public education culture pushed in at a time when Catholic leaders were eager to follow progressive ideas regardless of their effectiveness?

I've been pining for several years for a family education program; in the cases where the parents never learned the faith the kids' classes were simply teaching concepts that would have no practical applications once the kids returned home to the family. Nevertheless, the age segregated, classroom setting, family divided approach seems to be the norm in every parish I've heard of. This does not include lay groups and seperate orders like the Legionaires who offer father/son, mother/daughter, family and children's activities with mixed ages (so siblings of the same gender can all attend together).

This article seems like a really good example of a new way of thinking of catechesis. It refers to General Directory for Catechesis, put out by JPII the Great. Here's an excerpt:
Among other things, this document asks the catechetical enterprise of the church to make a historic shift. The GDC calls loudly for a shift away from children's-only religious education to cate-chesis for the entire parish. Catechesis should be provided for children, the GDC says, but "catechesis for adults . . . must be considered the chief form of catechesis."

Has anyone read this? Is it long, short, readable by a lay person? IS there a sense among anyone that it is making an impact among pastors or DRE's ? I feel so strongly about the need for family and adult catechesis to replace the current model that I plan to pray and prepare for my own role in the future (way in the future ). In the meantime I'd love hear your thoughts and experiences of any successful programs .

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2005 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Gwen,

My parish is just beginning its third year with Family Faith Formation. It is based on a program in a parish in Minnesota. The 1-5 graders are with their parents in class. The 6-8 graders are without parents in class, but their parents have their own faith formation class simultaneously. The K level is also with parents--forgot to mention them!

Let me know if I can send you any copies of newsletter, lesson plans,etc. I would also be happy to see if our DRE would be available for you to email. Our church is remodeling and building so I am not sure how often she is on-line. Please let me know any specific questions you have.

This program is such a blessing to our parish. We are so fortunate to have holy and fervent priests and an orthodox DRE.

I teach the 1-5 graders, and my dh teaches 8th grade. Last year we studied the Jeff Cavins Bible timeline. This year we are studying Church history. There are classes once per month and homework for the other 3 weeks. There are doctrine review tests for grades 5-8.

I am rambling so I should get off to bed!

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2005 at 12:23am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We were at a meeting with the Bishop and he said something about catechesis - they had declared the texts used as deficient for over 10 years (the Bishops conference evidently made this observation so maybe a search of the web would give you some history here) and expressed exasperation that the big secular publishers would not listen to the Bishops but kept talking about how children learn. There was something about Catholic publishers going out of business. Catholic World Report had a great article about catechesis - I just cannot remember which issue but that would be another source of info.

I also find it interesting that our Bishop emphasized - doctrine first and then you can draw analogies. Don't do the analogies first or it just makes the sacred seem like one more party, birthday celebration, etc. However, the books that the diocese mandates does just what the bishop said not to do. Where is my tune again!

Your desire for age integrated activities is dittoed here. We find that not only are the catechetical programs divided by age, so are all the social and many of the service functions. There is a young singles group, a young married group, a teen group (9-12), another group for 6,7 and 8 etc., a seniors group (over 65), a mom and toddler play group, and so on. I get the feeling that people don't want to be with their families. There was an attempt at one parish to open the gym for family night - and only us and one other homeschooling family showed up. The only rule was parent had to stay with any children even teens. The teens all went across the street to the Protestant church for teen basketball. We had an Ok time but there just wern't enough people to play much volleyball of any sort. When we had the teen group before dc came along, we had the teens playing volleyball with all ages and tons of littles and toddlers could safely participate with very slight modification of rules. Everyone had fun together! It drives me nuts how things are now.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 09 2005 at 2:47am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Gwen,
Our Lady of Loreto does family catechesis, not traditional CCD/religious ed. I'm not sure exactly how it is set up - but they teach the parents to teach the children. They have a director of faith formation (not a DRE) that you could call and talk to.

I also suggest talking with Sean Dalton in the Youth Ministry Office as he has a vision of family youth ministry (groups of families working together) as the way to go for young people. I don't know if it is being implemented anywhere in the Diocese or not.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2005 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

MaryM wrote:
they teach the parents to teach the children.

This is such a great idea. If it weren't for the fact that I taught my dc through homeschooling I'd probably still have no clue what the sacraments are! This is how I was introduced to almost all the doctrine I know and then I extended my studies with adult materials.

MaryM wrote:
I also suggest talking with Sean Dalton in the Youth Ministry Office as he has a vision of family youth ministry (groups of families working together) as the way to go for young people.

Really? Fantastic! Dd is in his youth group    He also might know of whether and how I should talk to my parish staff.

Our diocese and many others have had some wonderful bishops come in and reform a lot of the CCD policies and materials and I'm not faulting them at all. I think this has to do more with a failed educational method and many of those who are trying to bring quality, orthodox materials back into CCD have to have time to see that the methods must also be reformed.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2005 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Marybeth your parish program sounds wonderful. I'll PM you soon to get a copy of that newsletter since I'd like to see what resources they're using.

I don't think the solution is for the pastor to just open the doors to the gym and say it's "family night." Then it's just one more thing to do on top of all the other age segregated activities. I love the idea of bringing the parents into the K-5 activities with middle school being together during the same time slot .

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2005 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

This thread couldn't be better timed - I NEED HELP!!!!! Specifically I need ideas on how it might be possible to set up some kind of family catechesis in what seems a near impossible parish situation. Or if that can't be done, ideas for alternatives.

Here is the background ...

Our parish has a weekly Mass attendance of just over 500. The average number of baptisms / first communicants each year is between 15 and 20. I would guess the number of children between ages 3 and 12 actually attending Mass weekly is around 60. There is no Catholic school - most parishes of this size in the UK have access to Catholic state (public) schools, but we don't. There are no social activities for children apart from a mothers and toddlers group. There are a core of maybe 20 or so children and teens involved in the parish as altar servers and musicians.

The only religious education available within the parish is two years of compulsory catechism classes before first communion, with an optional year for 5 to 6 year olds. There used to be a post-communion class, but that folded last year due to lack of interest (some weeks no children at all turned up). The catechism classes are on Saturday mornings when they have to compete with lots of out-of-school activities (soccer, music school, dance classes etc). There are usually confirmations once every two or three years. Confirmation preparation is a 10 or 12 week course. There is currently no religious formation available for adults, although an RCIA class is starting this month for the first time. Baptism preparation is minimal. I don't know about marriage preparation. There is no catechetical plan for the parish, no key catechists, and nobody in charge of faith formation.

Earlier this year our then parish priest called a meeting to try to get something set up for religious education for the older children (age 8 to 12). Three of us volunteered to run something on a monthly basis. We then discovered the priest had resigned the parish due to abuse from a small group of parishioners (part of a long-standing problem). He left and was replaced by another priest who seems very reluctant to take a lead in anything - possibly because he is treading carefully due to the parish's previous history. We have run monthly activities, but haven't been able to link them into parish life in any meaningful way and due to lack of any structure or catechetical plan they haven't been much more than a club with some religious content. On average, about 15 children have been coming. On the positive side, we have attracted volunteers, and three other adults are now willing to help work with the children.

We now have to decide whether we want to keep going in 2006 and if so, what we should do. One of the other volunteers has experience running confirmation classes, marriage prep etc. in South Africa. His family are also involved in family catechesis there. He feels strongly that this is the way we should go, and is not prepared to carry on being involved unless we are able to involve families and the parish in some real catechesis. I agree that this would be the ideal, but I'm not at all sure it is a realistic possibility. We suspect that the most we will get from our parish priest will be lukewarm support, which won't make things easy. I have promised to talk to him about the future and try to pin down just what, if anything, he would like to see happen. I think having some clear ideas to suggest will help.

These are the options I can see so far ...

(1) Suggest setting up something along the lines of the Family Faith Formation mentioned here. To do this I really need a much clearer idea of how we could make it work so I can put forward some sort of coherent plan. I'm not at all sure we have either the experience or the resources to do this.

(2) Ask permission to go over our parish priest's head and ask the diocesan Director of Religious Education for suggestions. At one time the diocesan DRE was assistant priest at a former parish of mine so I know him quite well. I know he is also friendly with our parish priest and celebrated his induction Mass, so I think I don't think our pp will be offended by the idea.

(3) Decide the catechetical gaps in the parish are just too huge to be plugged and settle for some other type of group ... maybe something along the lines of Little Flowers / Blue Knights? Any ideas?

(4) Give up! Decide that it is the parish priest's job to sort this out and leave it to him to do something ... or nothing. (Tempting, given that my children get religious education at home and through our Catholic homeschool group ... but the lack of input for the rest really bothers me.)

A few other points ...

We have been meeting for two hours after the 10.30 Mass on Sundays, which seems to be a workable time. Evenings are out because most of the kids have after-school activities or homework; Saturday mornings are out as we already know the older kids won't come then.

It isn't likely to be possible to do anything more often than once a month.

We have no money - funding from the parish, if any, is likely to be minimal.

We have a parish hall, with one side room. It is tatty, and cold in winter. Not an inviting environment.

Ideas? Comments? Anything????? Please!!!!

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Kathryn UK wrote:

Dear Kathryn,
I don't have any great words of wisdom, but I wanted you to know that I will pray for wisdom for you and the other parishioners you are working with. What an awful situation! Speaking as a former DRE and youth minister, I personally think it is inexcusable for a pastor to offer absolutely no religious education for all but a few years of a child's formative years. Even if there are only a small number of children in the entire religious education program, something should be worked out to teach them in multi-age, small groups.

Family Formation from the Church of St. Paul in MN might be the answer. An old friend sent me their sample materials this past summer. We are thinking about trying it out as a family and then approaching our pastor with the idea of making it a parish-wide option in the future. My pastor believes strongly in the idea of forming the adults well, so the parents can form the children well. That program may work for your situation.

What an example you are to all of us in your desire to provide good catechesis for all the other children of your parish. It sounds like God has put this on your heart for a reason, so I would really encourage you not to just let it go, but to continue to work to bring a program of faith formation to your parish that would encompass all of the children.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2005 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

momwise wrote:
This article seems like a really good example of a new way of thinking of catechesis. It refers to General Directory for Catechesis, put out by JPII the Great. Has anyone read this? Is it long, short, readable by a lay person?   

Here is a link to this document at the Vatican website. I found it there but haven't read it yet so can't speak to your questions - though I'm intrigued by it. I also wanted to let you know that I have a copy of the book National Directory of Catechesis (from our DRE )that was just issued a few months ago by the USCCB. It is referred to in the article as a document the US bishops are working on.

Here is the excerpt on family-catechesis:

"Many parishes offer family-centered catechetical programs within the total parish catechetical plan. All forms of organized family catechesis should flow from and lead back to the parish. Special attention needs to be given to the catechetical needs of interchurch families. Catechesis can help strengthen the family bond of interchurch families through hospitality, including everyone in activities and encouraging them to celebrate what is held in common."

"Within family-centered catechetical programs are opportunities for parents to catechize their children directly, for spouses to catechize each other, and for children to catechize one another and their parents. Family catechesis should include prayerful celebration within the family that is closely linked to the liturgical celebration of the parish. It should include opportunities for Christian service within the family and the neighborhood, which at the same time disposes the family members to render service in the name of Christ to the whole human family."

There is also a short section on Home-based Catechesis which addresses the homeschool family.

Gwen, if you'd like to borrow the book I'd be happy to get it to you.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Kathryn UK wrote:
It isn't likely to be possible to do anything more often than once a month.

We have no money - funding from the parish, if any, is likely to be minimal.

We have a parish hall, with one side room. It is tatty, and cold in winter. Not an inviting environment.

Kathryn,
We can remember you and your parish in prayer and I'd love to have an update when you decide what to do. I think the Family Formation program Irene is going to use sounds ideal.

I think it's fantastic that they are offering it to those away from the parish but I wonder; does it qualify as a "parish based" program if you are using it through another parish than your own? From what Mary's written the Church is wanting these programs to flow from and to the parish. Just wondering if it has to be your ownparish?

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

I know this is a very old thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that the Church of St. Paul family formation program has a new redesigned and up-to-date website:

http://www.familyformation.net/

It's really nice. I have ordered this program for my own family even though we use Faith & Life at home and participate in parish RE. If anyone else is using it, I would love to hear how it works for you!

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2008 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

How frustrating! I typed out a post, and then the site went capyooey! Anyway, I'm typing fast, to be sure this gets in.

This is also a passion of mine as well. Some day, in God's time, I believe He'll call me to do something in the field of catechesis, but I trust He knows best if or when that will be.

I am both a product of being a public school kid going to CCD Monday afternoons while my friends got to go home in the 60's and 70's, AND also was a CCD teacher in the *traditional classroom* for almost 10 years for 2nd grade CCD (First Reconciliation class). So I have MANY opinions about this subject!

Our parish has done something called, Generations of Faith.... Generations of Faith This is more of catechesis for the entire parish, family, PLUS others, meant to help build community as well.

Our parish, however, cannot seem to lose their grip on the traditional model of CCD either, so do the GOF sessions only three times per school year, and it's not enough! But at least there's some progress there, and I pray for progress toward parish/family catechesis for ALL parishes in our country, because there's a real need to undo much of the lack of catechesis for so many in the past. It's a real problem.

Thanks for the discussion!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 21 2008 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

TracyQ wrote:
Our parish has done something called, Generations of Faith.... Generations of Faith This is more of catechesis for the entire parish, family, PLUS others, meant to help build community as well.

Tracy, maybe if you have time you could take a look at the Church of St. Paul's Family Formation webpage titled: Family Formation is NOT Whole Community Catechesis and tell me what you think of their criticisms of WCC.

Some of their criticism seems spot on. For example, many current adult faith formation materials DO focus on sharing my feelings and reactions to a text rather than learning actual Church teaching on the subject.

However, I don't know enough about WCC to say whether or not the rest of it is true. It's a little combative in tone--I'm not certain this is a webpage I'd want my faith formation colleagues in the parish looking at, because generally WCC has this aura of "the new best thing" around it.

I have glanced through some WCC materials (Call to Faith) but haven't ever actually seen such a program in action. My previous parish, St. Stephen the Martyr in Renton, WA, changed to a program called GIFT-Generations in Faith Together, after I moved, but I think they wrote it themselves.

Any others have experience in whole community catechesis or family formation programs?

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 22 2008 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I have a story about the memory of an over 40 mom. I started reading through this thread after seeing it on the active topics list. I got to Kathryn's post about the lack of religious ed in her parish, and found myself appalled at the situation. I was mentally preparing a reply. Then I scrolled down and found my own response to Kathryn . . . I was confused . . . then I noticed that the thread was from 2005!    

I had absolutely no memory of having read this thread before and hadn't noticed the date. That's what happens when an old thread is revived and you have the memory of a 60 year old!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2008 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Irene, that's alright, I was reading through some search results yesterday and ran across a similar thread but one of the moms stated that she had X amount of kids and I was confused - didn't she just have a baby? Poor Mom, she's got mommy brain bad. Forgot to count the babe in arms. Ummm...no. It was from a few years ago. Who's got mommy brain now?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2008 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

LeeAnn,
    I'm sorry it took so long for me to look at this website.

I can understand many of the criticisms on this website, and why there would be concern with WCC as opposed to FF. FF is DEFINITELY more ideal! I SO wish our parish had this!

My experience with WCC in MY parish (have NO idea in other parishes) is not exactly what's here in the WCC column, though there are elements. Our parish has kind of adopted their own way of doing it. But it's NOT FF either, that's for sure, and it's not ideal. But it's better than nothing, I guess??

In our parish, the kids all go to regular, *traditional CCD* bi-weekly (classes longer). But three times per year, the families MUST come to the GIFT (we call it GIFT, but it's based on GOF, I think?)sessions. There are three sessions. We gather as a family and basically wait. We used to have dinner, but they nixed that, as it became difficult. Then we go into sessions according to level (I usually teach the 5yo-6th grade), and then the 7th grades - adult go to another session, but same subject matter, according to level. Sometimes, there are three levels, as teaching 5yo-6th graders is NOT easy! And then if parents want to stay with their kids, they can, so I'm also trying to teach adults!

Believe it or not, God always helps me to do that somehow, and I hear comments after from parents that they learned a LOT while listening with their kids. So I do think that though it's not ideal, and SO MUCH MORE can be done, at least they're getting SOMEthing!

Then we gather as a family for some famiily activity, promoting of faith within our domestic church (banner for the home, planting a plant for the home, etc.), and discussion through the activity.

After that, as a family, we go to the end of the evening prayer service type of activity. One time, we had confession, one time, we had Adoration, to teach families how to go to adoration. One time we had a Rosary Musical, saying the rosary to the DVD musical. For Christmas, we had a living nativity type of service. They're all meaningful.

We have a fantastic DRE, who does her best, I think. She's orthodox, and full of faith, and I just love her to pieces! But she's limited to what the pastor wants, and she can only do so much according to what he thinks, etc. I know what my vision is, but sometimes it isn't the same vision as the pastor, or the execution of it is problematic due to other circumstances, etc. Or sometimes pastors just don't want to stop their traditional way because they are nervous to try it. I can understand that too.

But the problem is not that the kids are not catechised, the problem is that their PARENTS are not catechised, and that the parents don't know the faith, and don't have the tools in order to TEACH their kids. It's imperative to be sure we work on the family in my opinion, because even though catechising the children may result in better catchised Catholics when they have children, without having any faith in the home, I fear the poor, watered down catechism they're getting won't be able to bear much fruit in the faith.

We DO have *Gift bags* we take home, with some neat things in them.....prayer/holy cards, special prayers, sacramentals, information, etc. that can be used in the home, but I wonder how much they are used.

My vision, my PRAYER is a Catechism for families as is outlined on this website. Presenting catechism to all ages together is not a good idea, because real education in the faith truly can't take place properly. ANd talking about *feelings* isn't always a good thing, though talking about truth is. Reflecting on the Sunday readings is nice, but should be taught to be done within the family. Our topics are done differently, according to a program. One year, the three sessions were, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. So it's not just reflecting on the Sunday readings. But yes, the CCD is probably weak in the regular traditional classroom, and I can't say these sessions help a lot in that arena, but they may help a tiny bit.

So I say our program is more like the WCC, with some elements of FF in it. I see the criticisms in this site as being very valid. And I know the criticisms of the traditional CCD are also valid. I wish I could do more, but maybe one day, who knows?

I think FF is the PERFECT solution though, and pray for that for all to be honest. I'm going to bookmark this site for future reference, thanks.

I hope this helps some.
God bless!
Tracy

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version