Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Charlotte Mason Book Study Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 06 2008 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth is doing a Charlotte Mason book study this summer on her blog.

This is the link for the Charlotte Mason Book Study or you can click on on "Charlotte Mason Book Study" from the category cloud from her blog.

Education Is... is the current book, which is a free download.

Laying Down the Rails will be the second book in the discussion.

I'm a bit behind, but I just printed out the first book and beginning my reading. I thought it would be great to discuss a few things here, especially for those that have no blogs. I'm newer to CM philosophy, but I'm planning to implement much of Mater Amabilis this fall with my Kindergartener, so the timing is very good for me.

And I'd love those who have experiences and intimacy with Charlotte Mason in the past and present to please share your insights!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2008 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Great, Jenn! I just read this last week and found it very inspiring. I'll be back later with a few things I jotted down....

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2008 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

FYI, Typepad is having some problems being read through Internet Explorer, but Firefox works right now. It's a temporary glitch which should be fixed soon by Typepad. Just so you know, as I had some problems today reading the posts. It's only temporary!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2008 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks Jenn. (and Elizabeth) - I just printed out the first few chapters of Education Is - and I can't stop reading! I have a very early baseball game so will have to stop...but will be reading more..

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 07 2008 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

Thanks! I am reading the free e-book now and it is great. I am assuming when we get to Laying Down the Rails that it will be the entire book and not the free sample. So, is it more ecomomical to download it or just buy the book in printed form? I am trying to find out how many pages it is to print and also my computer is probably on its last legs so I am not sure if I can depend on it to do a great print job. Any suggestions?
Also, when you mentioned that Typepad is having problems with internet explorer, could that be why my computer freezes and I have to shut it down everytime lately that I try to access Elizabeth's blog? Maybe someone here can notify us when she has a new discussion on it?
Thanks for "listening"!
Anne
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Laying Down the Rails is 227 pages. I debated and felt is was better for me to buy the ebook and print.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

This is awesome! We really need to get back to CM basics around here. I've been seriously derailed.

Thank you so much for sharing, Elizabeth and Jenn and everyone.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2008 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

Does anyone know when the discussion on Laying Down the Rails will start? I am going to order the printed book (if I order the ebook, I will have to buy a new printer cartridge and then it's not really a savings!) and I want to make sure I get it before the discussions starts so I can be prepared (what? prepared? crazy talk!).

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2008 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I read late into last night and early this morning. My thought for the day "I WILL be a thermostat and not a themometer"

This book study is such an answer to prayer. We had planned to focus on revisiting good habits, good manners, reminding everyone of doing chores properly etc - and this is so appropriate.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2008 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Anneof 5 wrote:
So, is it more ecomomical to download it or just buy the book in printed form? I am trying to find out how many pages it is to print and also my computer is probably on its last legs so I am not sure if I can depend on it to do a great print job. Any suggestions?

You could send the file to Kinko's online to be printed. I priced Education Is... double sided, black and white, on 30% recyled paper for $4.14. You could even add a cheap binding if you want it to stay nice. I don't know about the actual printed book prices though.

I've been enjoying the book study. I'm glad you posted about it here, Jenn.

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2008 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Has anyone ever used Kinko's for printing a book like Laying Down Rails? Any idea how much it would cost to print it out double sided and bind it?

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 07 2008 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

mama251ders wrote:
Does anyone know when the discussion on Laying Down the Rails will start? I am going to order the printed book (if I order the ebook, I will have to buy a new printer cartridge and then it's not really a savings!) and I want to make sure I get it before the discussions starts so I can be prepared (what? prepared? crazy talk!).

Blessings,
Betsie

I'm shooting for a week from Wednesday:-)

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2008 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I'd better get moving, then!

Now that my niece's wedding is over, I should be able to dedicate some time to reading.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2008 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Matilda wrote:
Has anyone ever used Kinko's for printing a book like Laying Down Rails? Any idea how much it would cost to print it out double sided and bind it?

Without buying the e book or calling it's hard to price, but just for the copies I got about $20. And you would have to add in the price of the ebook and the binding.

Kinkos is easy to use. I used it for all of our conference printing. After you set all your print options (you need a file to upload), it gives you a price on the top right of the screen before you decide to buy.
kinkos fed ex

Staples has it too, and if you have an educator's discount, it might be cheaper.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2008 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Rachel,
Did you run into any copyright issues with Kinkos? They asked me if the ebook gives permission for it to be copied. i didn't know the answer to the question...

Natalia

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 09 2008 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Just so you know - I ordered "Laying Down the Rails" from LULU's about 2 weeks ago. It takes a little while to come in because they print as they go. If you need the book - you'll get it faster if you download the pdf and print it yourself.

Having said that, the print copy is quite nice.

Desperately trying to catch up on Education Is...

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
Just so you know - I ordered "Laying Down the Rails" from LULU's about 2 weeks ago. It takes a little while to come in because they print as they go. If you need the book - you'll get it faster if you download the pdf and print it yourself.

Having said that, the print copy is quite nice.

Desperately trying to catch up on Education Is...

Oh dear, I'm doomed on all sides! I printed out Education Is...but the state of my printer is so horrible, I have to hand feed each page, and then I have to double feed some pages because the memory is so low it won't take the very full pages. So I thought I would definitely get Lulu to print, but I haven't even ordered it yet! Thanks for the heads up. I'm behind anyway! Out of pocket all week this week. Reading? What's that?

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Mackfam wrote:
Just so you know - I ordered "Laying Down the Rails" from LULU's about 2 weeks ago.

I ordered mine on May 29th, it shipped on June 3, but I haven't rec'd it yet and it's the 9th. So, they may not always be 2 weeks out....but it's certainly not as if you receive it 2 days later.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2008 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

I'm so excited that we are going to be discussing Laying Down Rails too!!   

I printed out Education is and have really enjoyed it. Food for thought and I'm praying and asking the Holy Spirit for guidance in areas where habits need to be worked on.

I already own Laying Down Rails and had planned to start it after reading Education Is. Now I can read along and discuss with all of you.

I ordered the printed version and I'm so glad that I did. It is a very nice copy on quality paper and seeing as how this is a book I will probably refer back to more than once it should hold up well.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2008 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Natalia wrote:
Rachel,
Did you run into any copyright issues with Kinkos? They asked me if the ebook gives permission for it to be copied. i didn't know the answer to the question...

Natalia

No, but I haven't actually printed these books there. I just checked the price. I have a great printer at home now, and the conference printing wasn't copyrighted (that I know of). Surely, when you purchase an ebook, you can print a copy for your own use? I'm surprised they asked. Would the Simply CM people send an ok for a single print job, I wonder?

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version