Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Charlotte Mason Book Study Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 10 2008 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Rachel May wrote:

Surely, when you purchase an ebook, you can print a copy for your own use? I'm surprised they asked. Would the Simply CM people send an ok for a single print job, I wonder?

The lady told me that if the book said something about it being copyrighted even if you bought it, they won't print it. If when they actually receive the ebook it doesn't have whatever they are looking for, even if the order went through they won't do it. You will then have to go through the hassle of getting a refund. I asked about getting a permission and she said that as long as it has a letterhead or something that proves its authenticity they will accept it.

Has anybody bought the ebook? what does it say in the copyright page?

Natalia

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2008 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Laying Down Rails has no copyright page. It goes right from the cover to the table of contents. The copyright page of Education Is... says:

All rights reserved. You may reproduce or distribute this work without written permission from the publisher if you include the following credit line...

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2008 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Rachel May wrote:
Natalia wrote:
Rachel,
Did you run into any copyright issues with Kinkos? They asked me if the ebook gives permission for it to be copied. i didn't know the answer to the question...

Natalia

No, but I haven't actually printed these books there. I just checked the price. I have a great printer at home now, and the conference printing wasn't copyrighted (that I know of). Surely, when you purchase an ebook, you can print a copy for your own use? I'm surprised they asked. Would the Simply CM people send an ok for a single print job, I wonder?

Rachel - can you recommend your printer? My printer is dying - and I am desperately trying to research different ones before buying.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 11 2008 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

The first page of Laying Down the Rails reads as follows:

Laying Down the Rails wrote:
Thank you for purchasing Laying Down the Rails from Simply Charlotte Mason! Your download links were good for only a limited time, but now that you have your book you can continue to use and print it as long as you like. That’s why it’s a good idea to make a backup copy in case something happens to the one on your computer. We encourage you to do that right now.
Access Bonus Features
For helpful links, updates, and tips related to this e-book, visit its Bonus Features page at:
http://SimplyCharlotteMason.com/books/layingdowntherails/
Get Printing Help
Having problems printing your book? Adobe has a page to help with common printing problems. You can find it at:
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/316508.html

Surely, this is enough permission for Kinkos or Staples.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2008 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

Okay, I was just at Elizabeth's blog and I saw the logo for the book study (I'm assuming that's what it is) with the train (very clever!). Has that been there the whole time, did I miss it before? Anywho, is that something that those of us who are participating could put up on our blogs? I don't want to be presumptuous, I just thought it would be cute and sort of unifying.

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 11 2008 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

mama251ders wrote:
Okay, I was just at Elizabeth's blog and I saw the logo for the book study (I'm assuming that's what it is) with the train (very clever!). Has that been there the whole time, did I miss it before? Anywho, is that something that those of us who are participating could put up on our blogs? I don't want to be presumptuous, I just thought it would be cute and sort of unifying.

Blessings,
Betsie

Betsie,
You are welcome to use it--that's what I was hoping! It hasn't been there the whole time. I added it this week, but there's a note in the post encouraging you all to use it.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2008 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Elizabeth wrote:
mama251ders wrote:

Blessings,
Betsie

Betsie,
You are welcome to use it--that's what I was hoping! It hasn't been there the whole time. I added it this week, but there's a note in the post encouraging you all to use it.

Could someone tell me how to use a logo on a blog? I'm trying...

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2008 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Patty, do you mean how to copy a logo and use it on your own blog?

If so, this is what I do:

1. Right click on the logo, and select "save picture"
2. Save it onto your computer.
3. Upload the picture onto your blog.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2008 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I just printed out the ebook. I'm sooo behind on everything since vacation. Where did all that relaxation go?

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2008 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

KC in TX wrote:
I just printed out the ebook. I'm sooo behind on everything since vacation. Where did all that relaxation go?

KC, skip ahead to chapter 4, specifically page 20 and relax!    Go reset your thermostat.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2008 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Maryan wrote:

Yes, ma'am that is exactly what I meant.    Thank you, Maryan!

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2008 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

PDyer wrote:
Maryan wrote:

Yes, ma'am that is exactly what I meant.    Thank you, Maryan!

I did it! This is so exciting. Now if a person had a private blog, and certain family members wanted said blog to remain private, and a person wanted to respect their wishes, how would the blog writer add a second blog that isn't private to her account?

A friend is asking.   

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2008 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

PDyer wrote:
Now if a person had a private blog, and certain family members wanted said blog to remain private, and a person wanted to respect their wishes, how would the blog writer add a second blog that isn't private to her account?

A friend is asking.   

Never mind, the blog account only allows for one blog. Harumpf.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2008 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Well... wordpress allows you to have many free blogs...

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2008 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thought you might get a chuckle out of this..

We started our "good habits" in earnest this week - mine was to talk in a quiet and kind voice. Well..God has a sense of humor - I have some kind of weird laryngitis - lost my voice And no it was not from talking too much at the IHM - it started going this morning! So for those of you who think I have a voice like Demi Moore - this is not the case!!

Oh well - it should be easy to implement my good habit. Though a few prayers for my voice to return would be appreciated as I have such a busy weekend ahead.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2008 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth just posted more thoughts on Education Is... on Education is a Life.

I'm way behind on my reading, and just caught up today. What a lovely and thought-provoking book! I'm so happy to have Charlotte Mason's ideas represented for newer homeschoolers like me. So much of her wisdom speaks directly to me. The last month or so I've been trying to formulate a plan for my upcoming Kindergartener. Although I've been planning for this official day for many years, the reality hit home and I started doubting if I could do it. The choices of approaches and curriculums are overwhelming. I have been praying to God, discussing with dh, reading and researching, and asking for experiences from other moms so I can decide what would be the best for my son.

Homeschooling isn't new in my radar. I did it off and on in high school, and my siblings underneath also homeschooled. Then I worked for Our Lady of the Rosary School for a few years, so I was immersed in homeschool curriculum. My mother used Seton, and all I knew was a boxed curriculum, with all Catholic books. Even before I was married I would go to homeschool conferences to see materials and curriculum. I remember one year at NACHE I saw a table with Charlotte Mason in the title. I didn't know what it was. I asked someone, and they said "Oh stay away from that, she is anti-Catholic." So I did for a while.

But then I read Elizabeth Foss's columns in our diocesan paper, The Arlington Catholic Herald. I'm not sure what column it was, or which came first, her book or or the Catholic Charlotte Mason yahoo group but it was a light bulb moment for me. I furthered on some reading, as recommended, like Karen Andreola's A Charlotte Mason Companion and it all clicked. That was probably 3 or 4 years ago, when my son was just an infant, so I didn't really put all ideas into practice.

And that anti-Catholic Charlotte Mason? I found her writings to really be more Catholic in understanding and philosophy--the role of the parents as primary educators and forming the child, understanding our fallen nature, seeing the unity of the physical, spiritual, and emotional beings...I could go on.

I really love to apply Real Learning to our life. I take and pick the best and what appeals and works with our family needs, our temperaments, and our learning styles. I'm attracted to various approaches, but need to find a balance in our home. And I think that balance is defining our goals, and defining what education is for our family. And Charlotte Mason three pronged approach of Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, a life is just perfect.

It's hard work ahead of me, though. There's no rest and it is so similar to my spiritual life. I can't become complacent or lukewarm, but be sorry and pick myself up and try again. God's grace helps me start anew.

Definitely reading all the chapters I felt quite a few stings on the reality of my life -- I'm such a thermometer, and I have my very observing and vocal 4 yo telling me how it doesn't seem like I'm doing a good job in the temper department. But I also am reading How to Profit from Your Faults by Joseph Tissot which is so fabulous on understanding how not to get mad or discouraged. I picked that up on my retreat and highly recommend it. Follows closely on working on being a good parent!

And the habits, of course our family needs to develop some good ones. Her suggestions of how to get prompt obedience, and suggestions on discipline were just what we needed (and started right away). It seemed almost overnight that my authority was being questioned or ignored, so we want to nip that in the bud.

But working on that habit also helps me in the habit of speaking softly and sweetly. I just finished my final week of training in the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. I came away very discouraged that I wasn't a naturally sweet, soft spoken, gentle and patient person.

And isn't it neat how life hands you unit studies? I was nodding in agreement on how I've lived my life in personal unit studies or rabbit trails. This summer is educational and parental, (but of course that will be a long unending one). I love it when there are connections to other current readings (as I tend to be involved in very many books at one time). The education is an atmosphere reminded me of St. Josemaria Escriva's exhortation to strive for "bright and cheerful homes": If you live marriage as God wishes you to, in a holy way, your house will be a bright and cheerful home, full of peace and joy. (Christ is Passing By, 78, 6) You might enjoy reading Bright and Cheerful Homes booklet, a reprint of an old Scepter booklet. So many of these thought meld -- it's so important for the parent to be working on their faults (or lack of good habits). And the child sees and observes everything!

Elizabeth wrote:

Elizabeth wrote:
Tell us all about how education is a life in your home and and how you implement Charlotte Mason's methods as you and your children pursue an authentic education.

I'm only in the beginning stages of formal learning, but we really strive to let living ideas "grip us" -- my 4 year old son will say often "I have an idea" and links together what we see and read. Yesterday we went to Mount Vernon, my son's first visit. Later that night we read some of our books talking about George Washington and Mount Vernon. We have discussed our first president before, but now there's a real fire and desire to find out more about all the presidents. I love this quote:

"Education is a life. That life is sustained on ideas. Ideas are of spiritual origin, and God has made us so that we get them chiefly as we convey them to one another, whether by word of mouth, written page, Scripture word, musical symphony; but we must sustain a child's inner life with ideas as we sustain his body with food" (Vol. 6, p. 109).

I'm forming most of our plan around living books. I need some accountability in some subjects, but I want to make sure I have very large margins for our Kindergartener. I'm still in the planning stages, but it's not to force feed our son, but to gently open him to the ideas so he can make it his own.

As I was reading the chapter, I was thinking I needed to start a Book of Centuries and was going to have track down some links, but Elizabeth saved me the trouble.

I shared too much! I'm looking forward to more thoughts and discussions here!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2008 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Great post Jenn. Thanks for your thoughts. Even though I downloaded the book, I haven't begun to read it. You've made me rethink that decision!

Thanks

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2008 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Love your post Jenn.

I especially like the Bright and Cheerful home quote and link.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2008 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, Helen and Marilyn. Just trying to get the ball rolling.

I had some other thoughts. I really appreciated Elizabeth's nutshell summaries of the different subjects and how they are treated in her home, and many of the quotes from her own Real Learning.

But the quote from Laura Berquist resonated with me -- not necessarily the contents of the quote, but how much of this living approach to education does not clash with the classical curriculum. I'm not saying they are one in the same, but it's "Real Learning" in action, where some elements can be extracted and applied seamlessly to the learning at home. We don't have to have a single philosophy of learning. It's very freeing to not feel caged by one approach.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2008 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm back again to add to my monologue. I love the simple breakdown of the Charlotte Mason Materials for the subject areas on the second to last page. Reading this last chapter felt like a sigh of relief. This is what I've been doing loosely, and next year I'll just fine tune it more.

Nature study will be more focused and purposeful (by purposeful I mean starting a notebook and some definite outdoor times).

The math I chose definitely has manipulatives, and I may incorporate more of Montessori manipulatives.

To go back to the previous chapter, Education is a Life, this paragraph really spoke to me:
Quote:
"...keep in mind that self-discipline is the ultimate goal. It's not true freedom if you always depending on someone else to prod and push you. That's why discipline is such an important part of our children's educational process. Notice that word "process." We guide them with discipline from without until they can make the transition to discipline themselves from within.

The subject of self-discipline has been the topic of conversation lately in our house. Much of it has been tied into Father Thomas Vander Woude's speech at IHM on Homeschooling and the importance of sports, especially for boys, and then watching Tiger Woods win the US Open overcoming knee pain to persevere to win. Both areas show how sports and exercise can help one in the realm of self-discipline. Another book I've been reading on this area is The Catholic Ideal: Exercise and Sports by Robert Feeney which touches on these points and more.

As with all the areas we are pondering in education, I always look back at myself. How do I rate on self-discipline? Can I control my eating habits for healthy choices? Do I keep my body in shape? Right now I'm woefully inadequate. And it's another area I need to address. How can a very unmotivated and out of shape mother encourage her son to develop habits of perseverance, fortitude, self-discipline in daily exercise in sports...and also in music, in his prayer life, in his daily habits at home? It all is linked together. If I work on me, he'll see the example before I have to say anything to apply to his life.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version