Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: what do you do EVERY DAY with the littles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mumsrea
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 04 2008 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote mumsrea

I am thinking my little almost two year old needs to have a circle/song time every day with rhyming and general body movement.

What kinds of things to you put into your 'schedule' just for the littles? Do they older ones want to join?
Back to Top View mumsrea's Profile Search for other posts by mumsrea

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2008 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Philothea

The only thing I schedule is naptime, which usually includes reading a book. Everything else is pretty slapdash (well, I do feed my preschooler daily, just not always at the same time). That said, things we do EVERY DAY are:

Read books together -- lots of books. We own a ton, but we're also frequent patrons of the library and usually have a theme going -- right now it's space/planets/rockets.
Talk about letters we see and what sounds they make, try to sound words out.
Count.
Pray together.
Sing silly songs.
Play outside, or if it's nasty out, we go somewhere like a mall play area so he can get that gross motor exercise he craves.
Work on life skills like pants zipping, putting on shoes, folding laundry, cutting food, setting the table, etc.
I try to give him serious answers to his eight billion questions -- he actually knows why the sky looks blue, for example.

Hope this helps ...
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2008 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote joann10

One thing I try to do everyday, mainly for the 2 and 3 year old is listen to fun music. I get cd's from the library for nursery rhymes and musicians like Raffi (this is what we are enjoying right now) and Lauri Berkner. They both just love it-my 2 year old more than my 3 year old-I think because my 2 year old is a girl-maybe-

It usually ends up as a big dance fest-we have very active chilren!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2008 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

For our littles, we make sure that every day we:

Read aloud
Go outside (even if the weather is bad)

I try to serve meals and snacks around the same time every day, and at bedtime, we are sure to get in prayers and snuggle time.

Everything else from day-to-day is, as Philothea says: slapdash! I made some Montessori materials we get out every once in a while, and of course they love playing in blanket forts or with play doh, but we don't get to these things every day- just when the mood strikes us.

I love the idea of daily circle time with songs, movement, and stories- and will try to start incorporating that more routinely in the fall. I haven't had much success in doing this on a regular basis so far...
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2008 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Philothea

We love music, too. Dan Zanes, Imagination Movers, any classical CD, Jars of Clay and Newsboys are favorites here.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

websterm
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 04 2008 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote websterm

Our day is a bit more structured, I guess because I have other people's children also
A typical day for us goes like this
7:30 breakfast
8:15 circle / calendar / theme talk
8:30 free play - blocks and cars/trucks are a favorite
9:15 outside
10:30 art stuff / playdough / rice & beans - something they can get their hands into
11:00 I start getting lunch together - feed the younger ones
12:00 lunch
12:45 everyone down for nap / quiet time
2:45 everyone waking up
3:00 snack
3:15 draw / read / playdough / puzzles
4:00 outside
****Keeping in mind not EVERY day goes perfectly smooth or on schedule but this is what routine our days normally follow.

Marcia
My Thoughts While Learning
Back to Top View websterm's Profile Search for other posts by websterm Visit websterm's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2008 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Meals, prayers, reading aloud, playing outside, conversation. My 4yo usually does some kind of art, but that's her scheduling herself, not my scheduling her. The 5yo goes around spelling things. Again, self-scheduling. I try to work in some math conversation.

That's about it . . .

Sally

Isa in Michigan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 12 2008 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote Isa in Michigan

For my preschoolers I'll vary what we do, but I usually read to them, sing songs, and have some kind of an art activity. I spend at most 30 minutes a day, but when I do it really makes a difference because they will then do their own activities contentedly.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version