Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Candlemaking 101 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
marym wrote:
If you are feeling adventurous you may want to make your own.
I have been a wishful candlemaker. I have been reading books and have several here for "that some day". I'd love some web sources and some cheap supplies for melting wax and dipping pots. That's the other part that intimidates me...buying the supplies that I may not ever use again.

So we've moved this discussion to start a new thread for anyone interested in candlemaking.

In addition to any type of regular or seasonal candle you could make your own Advent candles or Easter candle (a paschal candle or egg shaped candles). You could make your own birthday candles or baptismal candles, votive candles for home altars or to place by saint statues. So many kinds.

Why make your own candles?
-It's fun and a creative outlet.
-Can get exactly what kind/color/scent of candles you want - good quality
-It's educational (learn about history, science, lots of math/percentage/weight in the formula calculations

I like this symbolism from a quote by Helen McLoughlin (from Catholic Culture page) about the dipping of wax to form each layer. "Children who make their own baptismal candles to set around the family Lumen Christi will learn what to 'put on Christ' means as they add layer after layer of wax to the wick of the candle. It is from such work as this that the world will receive the imprint of Christ, restoring all things to Him."

Also from Helen McLoughlin - "A child's mind, like soft wax, receives impressions with ease. These first impressions sink deepest and remain longest."

Some candle making supply sites and web resources:

Pacific Northwest Candle Making Supply (same company also has the Discount Candle website - same supplies) has lots of supplies as well as a great tutorial section linked to it - CandleHelp.com - tons of info and ideas. In general I think their prices are less than other suppliers I've found on-line.

Lone Star Candle Supply is also one of the larger on-line suppliers. They have a very good selection and one of the best for containers if you are doing container candles.

Campbell-Light is a helpful candlemaking site - no sales, just info

Cierra Candles - average prices but offer periodic sales, includes an instruction and troubleshooting section

Peak Candlemaking Supplies - average prices, lots of selection, helpful and detailed tutorial section. I use this one for my supplies mainly because it is local and I can pick purchases up at the store so I don't have to pay shipping. (Wax is heavy and shipping is expensive).

It is helpful to find a local source for your wax since it is expensive to ship. If you buy in bulk 50-60 lbs. you save quite a bit in the per lb price.

I'm the queen of cheap, Jenn, so don't like to spend more money than I have to on craft supplies.    Taper (or dipped candles) are not that expensive to make since all you need is the wick and the wax - no mold. For supplies you can use the 40-50% of coupons from Michael's or JoAnn's (and Hobby Lobby just started doing them also) to get candle molds, mold release, scents/dyes. I don't like the parafin wax there though and tend to get better quality wax from the companies above. Those hobby stores do sell pure beeswax though and the coupons are great for that.

I don't even have a real melt pot. I got a used kitchen pan from a thrift store that I use for the bottom of the "double boiler" melting method. Then for the actual melt/pour pot I use tall tin cans (48? oz juice cans that grapefruit juice came in). I pinched one side slightly to make a spout for pouring. It doesn't have a handle but we just use pot holder gloves. You can use an inexpensive candy thermometer (instead of buying one from the candle supply places). You would need a scale which you may already have (another item to get used from a thrift store or borrow from someone -borrow is what I do).

So if you don't ever think you would use it again, just plan price for supplies you have to have like wax and wick. You actually don't even need molds - you can use everyday items around the house for creative molds.

Please add your thoughts and suggestions to this thread!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
So we've moved this discussion to start a new thread for anyone interested in candlemaking.

You are the greatest!!!! Thanks for taking the time to type this up and share your secrets!

Marym wrote:
I'm the queen of cheap, Jenn, so don't like to spend more money than I have to on craft supplies.
Now, I thought that was your sister?

These are all great ideas!!! I'll see what I can pull up around my house and take the plunge! I got a lot done today...things that hubby can see, so perhaps I can squeeze in project time.

How about the heat for melting? Does it matter what kind of stove one has? I just have electric.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
Marym wrote:
I'm the queen of cheap, Jenn, so don't like to spend more money than I have to on craft supplies.
Now, I thought that was your sister?
Well, she is actually more frugal than I am, but we were raised by the same mother - so that rubbed off on both of us!

jenngm67 wrote:
How about the heat for melting? Does it matter what kind of stove one has? I just have electric.
I have electric also (glass top at that). The melting point varies with the type of wax selected. Just heat it at a low-to-medium heat setting and watch the thermometer to get to the correct temp based on your wax specifications.

I've seen where some people use a separate heat source like a Fry Baby to melt their wax in and then transfer to a pour pot.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Just one quickie right now: I bought canned aspargus just for the cans. Then, when I bought my new crockpot, a little tiny crockpot with it came with it. I think it's for warm dip. It's perfect for holding the asparagus can. The wax melts in the asparagus can and I leave the can in the tiny crockpot where it stays at the perfect temp.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 2:22am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Elizabeth wrote:
Just one quickie right now: I bought canned aspargus just for the cans. Then, when I bought my new crockpot, a little tiny crockpot with it came with it. I think it's for warm dip. It's perfect for holding the asparagus can. The wax melts in the asparagus can and I leave the can in the tiny crockpot where it stays at the perfect temp.

Very clever, Elizabeth. See how inventive one can be with candlemaking supplies.

I had mentioned using the 48 oz juice cans becasue they are tall and you can get the wax deep enough to make dipped candles. I use a variety of smaller cans if I don't need so much wax in a particular color.

Our Domestic Church

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 4:28am | IP Logged Quote Donna

Marym wrote:
These are all great ideas!!! I'll see what I can pull up around my house and take the plunge!

By all means....do.

I started dipping candles about 10 years ago with my mom in her small kitchen using coffee cans on the stove. I enjoyed it so much that I eventually moved up to real dipping vats. I purchased them on-line from Germany for a fairly inexpensive price. I wanted real deep ones because I like to make long candles...always adding a spicy fragrance. When I'm finished dipping I just store the remaining wax right in the vat. Then it's ready next time we pull them out. I'm not able to make them often...usually only once or twice a year....but it's an all day event with everyone getting involved. Last year we gave candles as Christmas presents.

It's by far my favorite hobby .

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

Caryn
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 07 2005 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote Caryn

Hi Moms,

I love candle-making, and wish I made a more regular habit of it. My family knows that a hunk of beeswax is a great holiday gift

One thing you might want to consider is paying a bit more for lead-free wicks. There has been quite a bit of press in the past few years about the highly-contaminated wicks, often from China, that come in many kits (and in nearly all cheap tealights). The wicks are high in lead and other carcinogenic materials, and there's been an increase in reports of respiratory problems in susceptible folks when the wicks are burned in an enclosed area.

If you do a search for "lead-free wicks," you can find some suppliers. I am using up a supply from an old Waldorf friend, so I don't have a current recommendation.

Now you've all inspired me to make holiday candles :)

Caryn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Donna wrote:
I started dipping candles about 10 years ago with my mom in her small kitchen using coffee cans on the stove. I enjoyed it so much that I eventually moved up to real dipping vats. I purchased them on-line from Germany for a fairly inexpensive price. I wanted real deep ones because I like to make long candles...always adding a spicy fragrance. When I'm finished dipping I just store the remaining wax right in the vat. Then it's ready next time we pull them out.

The vats sound great. I like the tall tapers, so that's what I planned on making when I dipped candles...so the cans idea will work, but I have to "shorten" my plan.

Do you have the link for the vats for future reference? Thanks!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Caryn wrote:
to consider is paying a bit more for lead-free wicks. There has been quite a bit of press in the past few years about the highly-contaminated wicks, often from China, that come in many kits (and in nearly all cheap tealights). The wicks are high in lead and other carcinogenic materials, and there's been an increase in reports of respiratory problems in susceptible folks when the wicks are burned in an enclosed area.

Caryn,

Thanks for the info. I presume that unless the wicks are marked "lead-free" to presume they contain lead? Or is there a law to make this disclosed on the package?

If anyone finds a good source for lead-free links, please post them!

I've been given a "free day" and so I'm planning my trip to Michael's right now. Woohoo! Coupon in hand, of course!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Back in the days when tennis balls came in long tall tin cans, we used those. Now we resort to coffee cans...not quite as good.

We make candles every year for Advent. My mother loves getting her Advent candles as the first gifts of the Christmas season. We even made them with Little Flowers a few years ago-it's easy and fun with a group, and while our candles were not perfect, I am firmly of the opinion that one learns as much from making mistakes as one does from a successful endeavor.

The instruction I use are the simplest (I think) for any large group of children. The instructions are on my
Christmas Page

Recently, I have been enjoying soy candles, so I think I may try my hand at pouring some for gifts. I don't think the soy base would work well for tapers...anyone?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote Donna

jenngm67 wrote:
Do you have the link for the vats for future reference? Thanks!
Sorry, Jenn, I do not. It's been a few years.   I do remember doing alot of internet searching to find what I wanted at the price I wanted to pay, though. I'll look around when I have a few minutes and see if I can find the link again.

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

Caryn
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 10 2005 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Caryn

Quote:
I presume that unless the wicks are marked "lead-free" to presume they contain lead? Or is there a law to make this disclosed on the package?

Jenn,

I don't think there's a law about it; I know that the companies that sell the lead-free advertise "lead-free," but the others are quiet about the contents

I'll try to get to our local candle shop later this week (maybe I'll float downhill in the rain!), and see what brands the owner is carrying and recommending. She has a great shop that my dh and dd visit to buy me gifts, but I stay out of, so I don't spend the grocery money..I'll report back when I find out.

Blessings,

Caryn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version