Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: favorite things to do with ~3yo Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 02 2008 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

My 3 yr old loves casting his fishing pole off our deck and catching "baracudas". We just spent a week at a cabin on a lake and dh set him up with a hookless rubber lure on his Scooby pole and my son his loving it.

We're also having fun washing his big wheel and other outside toys, gardening, watching birds and their babies, and using chalk outside. Oh, he loves playing rock, paper, scissors too. We play it all the times and it's great when you have to wait in line or something.

Jackie
5 boys 1,3,6,8,11
Back to Top View mooreboyz's Profile Search for other posts by mooreboyz

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 02 2008 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

happymama wrote:
washing rocks outside,

This is an all-time favorite past-time here too. It always makes DH and I . I wonder if we will ever NOT laugh at this. It's just so funny!

And, then after they wash them, they'll all go around to the neighbors trying to SELL them!!!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 05 2008 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

pipandpuddy wrote:
Ring games are games like Ring around a Rosie, Oats and Beans and Barley Grow, Oranges and Lemons, etc.

Got it! Thank you, Karen .

Thank you, all, especially the forum newbies . It is fun to share fresh ideas with each other.

I'll add one more activity from this week, playing with a balloon. We must have played *keep the balloon off the ground* for 30 minutes each day since Monday. It it so much fun to watch him enhance the game through different rules and silliness. My favorite is when he does slow motion instant reply of a great catch! (I'm thinking that we're watching too much baseball on TV around here, lol!)

I copied out the ideas that you shared and plan to post them on our refrigerator. Then I thought you all might like this compact list, too. Hope I didn't miss any:

Sing songs.
Read books.
Pretend to be animals.
Do finger games and hand rhymes.
Play ring games.
Play in sandbox.
Water plants.
Play with playdough.
Dance.
Tickle.
Go for walk.
Throw rocks.
Color.
Swing.
Dress up.
Play memory card games.
Play fort.
Play with button box.
Play in bathtub.
Pour stuff.
Play with stuffed animals.
Hand clapping games.
Hide from monsters.
Weeding.
Give rides.
Play baseball.
Talk to relatives on the phone.
Ride bikes.
Run.
Play with wooden train tracks.
Play with toy cars.
Cook in the kitchen.
Play with blocks.
Cut with scissors.
Wear gloves and ride a tractor.
Collect and sort.
Play in the pool.
Imagine.
Play board games.
Collect & wash rocks outside.
Wash tricycle with the hose.
Paint.
Hammer golf tees into hard clay.
Help wash & dry dishes.
PBSKids website "going on adventures."
Cast fishing pole.
Watch birds.
Play with chalk outside.
Play rock, paper, scissors.
Play with balloons.
Sell clean rocks .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 05 2008 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Laughing about this, but I was building sets for our production of 12th Night, and I had two 3yo "helpers"...so, I guess you could put "set building" on the list. Mostly, they enjoyed holding tools and taking large pieces of duct tape to "fix" things. It was very cute, and they were so serious!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 16 2008 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

MacBeth wrote:
   Mostly, they enjoyed holding tools and taking large pieces of duct tape to "fix" things. It was very cute, and they were so serious!

They are so serious about their work...I love it!

More activities that have been a hit here:

Wrapping presents. John Paul will wrap old stuff to give to his family members, but he prefers to wrap *new* stuff for him .

Shaving cream bags. Squirt cheap white shaving cream into snack size ziplocks. Place 2 drops of food coloring in each bag. (We used the same color in each but you can mix them.) Zip bag and squish until blended. Take bags into shower, open bags, and play.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Two more:

Ball Toss:

Collect all of your small indoor balls and place them in a container. Collect several different containters, such as large bowls, baskets, clean garbage cans, etc. and place them around the floor. Take a ball and say, "I'm going to throw this in the big red bowl." Take turns. Cheer when ball goes into bowl. Once you have gone through all the balls, pick up the balls that missed containers and keep throwing until all are in the bowls. Cheer again!

Indoor Fishing:

Draw outline of fish on cardstock. Have 3yo color. Cut. Paste or tape magnet on back of fish and distribute across floor. Find stick. Tape string to one end of stick. Place metal paper clips on the other end of string. Arrange couch so that the 3yo kneels on the couch and fishes over the back. Catch fish and place in bowl.

Any new ideas to add? My oldests boys are out of town with the dad and my dd and I are trying to be half as much fun as my 3yo's brothers...tough act to follow!

Love,

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version