Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: debt-free college degree? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

How non-rich people can go to college.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

This is a must-read article. Thanks, Angie!

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

Great read! I've often thought that some people just aren't ready at 18.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 5:24am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

That is a great article, Angi! I also really liked this Interview with Mike Rowe that I read recently.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Mike Rowe is coming to the Science and Engineering Festival in Washington, DC, at the end of April. It's a free event and great fun - tons and tons of science and engineering demos and activities. Highly recommended!

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Angie Mc wrote:
How non-rich people can go to college.

Love,

The link was empty when I tried it. Said it's gone.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Martha, it should still be there:

Article

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Dh and I were talking about this article last night....I thought I would share.

Testing Out: How to "Moneyball" Your Way to a Debt-Free College Degree

P.S. Angie--there is a baseball reference!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Betsy wrote:
Dh and I were talking about this article last night....I thought I would share.

Testing Out: How to "Moneyball" Your Way to a Debt-Free College Degree

P.S. Angie--there is a baseball reference!

<- Billy Beane laughing all the way to a win!!!!

Thanks, Betsy! Great post on a quality blog. What I like most about aiming for a debt-free college degree is being able to talk truthfully about costs while also broadening options.

I started this topic 6 years ago. Because of the recession, technology, social media, and other factors, the idea of a debt-free college degree has become more popular... and doable. Sadly, more people now have first hand experience with crushing debt.

Also, in my own family and among my children's friends, I'm seeing more and more benefits for young adults being able to enter into the adult world fully between the ages of 18 and 22. If during these years they can do purposeful work, avoid debt, and become skilled (w/ or w/out a degree) then they are more likely to consider getting married, having children, and growing in confidence as adults.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Quote:
A modest proposal: All college applicants—even those not seeking financial aid—should be required to present a personal, 10-page business plan that illustrates how they’ll put the value of their education to work. That includes studying an industry (or maybe a few) and calculating the potential return on the investment required to succeed within it.

How To Deal With The $1 Trillion Student Loan Crisis

Love,

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2015 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Bumping this thread because I still believe that a debt-free college degree is possible. Our son incurred some debt (he had to pay to retake a couple of classes), but he is far, far ahead of many of his peers in terms of financial solvency at graduation. Our daughter plans to take the same path - two years of community college, two or 2.5 years at a transfer school - and then she's hoping to be accepted into a Master's degree program. She is motivated by the "debt-free college degree" slogan!

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote Martha

I've gotten my oldest two graduated from home schooling and a decent ways without debt.

My oldest has 40+ credits debt free and a trade. The allure of the trade pay is stopping him from pursuing college further right now. I don't think that wise, but the credits are there if he changes his mind and he is certainly making enough to sustain himself.

My second oldest has about 45+ credits debt free and is enrolled at both college and university. (Taking as many cheaper CC as possible in conjunction with uni classes.) So far debt free.

Starting third this year. We'll see. His interests are going to be much harder to do debt free.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I want to read (or re-read) this thread. Our daughter moved out of state- took a gap year, applied for residency and got in state tuition. She has been working two jobs and covering most of her school and living expenses with just occasional help from us.
Our son is a senior this year, and his story is not the same. He is bent on going to University of Dallas. There is no way we can even begin to swing something like that. Loans will be the only way he could do it. I am torn in whether to deter him from going to UD.It is a great school and it would be a perfect fit to my (mostly)classically educated child! It is such a hard decision! He has received his scholarship package. We are hoping more money can be found. I 'll read this threat with interest to see if there is anything here to help us. Thanks for bumping it!

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

We have always hoped that our children will have a debt-free education. I have researched CLEPs and College Plus, scholarships, grants, community college, dual enrollment etc. And we are blessed to live within 15 minutes of a dual enrollment community college and a half hour from a good state university.

However, having been through the journey with our first, I realize that there are other considerations than money and debt. Just as with homeschooling, the souls of my children are my first consideration. I wish they could all go to faithful Catholic schools, and I wish these schools were not so expensive. I believe too that each child will have a different calling, and we will try to support this, within reason.

My first dd had her heart set on a particular Newman guide school from Grade 8. The sticker price was high - so she knew that she had to get scholarships and jobs. She worked hard and got the highest academic aid. She also worked all the way through senior year of high school. At college she works two jobs with a full course load. She works every vacation. She know what she is expected to contribute, and we help as much we can. She is happy to be this busy and fulfilling her dreams.

I have twin ds coming up next who will dual enroll some high school classes and think that they may want to go to the local state university and live at home. That is a good alternative - they can get the degree they want, at a reasonable price, and not have to live in the often nasty mire that is college dorms. If they decide they prefer to go to a good Catholic school, they will have to get scholarships like their sister and work multiple jobs.

I am really scared of college debt, and sticker prices - but over the last 2 years I have also seen how trust in God is necessary. God has provided for us to help our dd at school - and we feel that for her it is the best environment. I also feel that we need to trust Him - for the best place for our kids, not necessarily the cheapest. It is hard to abandon my (CPA by training!) ideas and discern what is the will of God for each child.

That being said - I think that student debt is the worst way to start adult life - and I would not encourage my kids to do this.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I just read through this thread all the way through again and wanted to add some things.

1. We live a very small and simple and frugal life on one income - and so helping our kids with college costs involves a lot of budgeting and sacrifice, and college decision is not made lightly. I always worry that we can help the oldest but may not be able to for our 5 year old when it is her turn.

2. Re Catholic college - seeing the previous posts, many people were criticized for not sending their kids to Catholic colleges. Funny because it was the other way for us - people were critical that my daughter was going to a "small religious school"

3. My previous post was not well articulated. I just was trying to say that God has a plan for each of our children - and I need to trust that. I am the youngest of many, and my parents had nothing when I came to college age. But I was able to follow my dreams and graduate debt free from undergrad and grad - and so was my husband..

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Natalia wrote:

Our son is a senior this year, and his story is not the same. He is bent on going to University of Dallas. There is no way we can even begin to swing something like that. Loans will be the only way he could do it. I am torn in whether to deter him from going to UD.It is a great school and it would be a perfect fit to my (mostly)classically educated child! It is such a hard decision! He has received his scholarship package. We are hoping more money can be found. I 'll read this threat with interest to see if there is anything here to help us. Thanks for bumping it!

Hi Natalia,

I empathize with your son - I just wish their was more aid for those wonderful Catholic schools. But here are some thoughts:

1. Can your son look for lots of little scholarships - essay contests, banks, knights of columbus etc

2. Can he call the school and find out if there are any other essay contests etc he can apply for

3. Look at the opportunity cost. eg my daughter received an almost full ride to attend a nearby state school and she would have lived at home. But she did us an opportunity cost analysis - showing us the extra costs from buying a car, driving, parking etc In the end it was not much extra to go to her dream school

We had a whole scholarship document that my daughter and I put together - she spent a lot of senior year of high school working long hours and applying for scholarships. I will ask her if she still has the document and then pm you for your email if she does.

4. I don't know about UD - but my daughter takes it semester by semester. She knows if money is short she would have to take time off to work. Our advice to her was to only incur debt in senior year and even then not a lot. She will have made it through sophomore year without any - by the grace of God. And there are many kids at the school in the same situation.

5. UD may be able to give your son some kind of work-study scholarship. At my dd's school there are kids to get extra money with a job package.

6. PRAY - when my dd did not get the full tuition scholarship (which she had really worked for and dreamed of and needed) the bottom fell out of her world. But she picked herself up, got a job and worked really hard and prayed really hard - and is still doing this day by day.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2015 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thanks Marilyn for your advice! I know you guys understand where we are coming from.

We are not giving up yet. We have counseled him against debt, but ultimately the decision I guess it his. Our resources, like yours, are very limited. The admission counselor for homeschoolers at UD has been great. One thing that she told us is that he has up until August to take the SAT and ACT as many times as he wants. Every time he takes it and gets a higher score, his scholarship gets adjusted. He is not penalized for lower scores.
He has not taken the SAT, just ACT. She suggested he takes a practice SAT, score it, convert it to ACT. If higher, go ahead and take it for real.

We wrestled with the dual credit option. Our community college here and our local college are not the greatest. For us, sending him there for his senior year would've compromise what we have always strived for: the best education we can afford. He is being tutored by a doctor in Mathematics in physics and calculus; he is taking/has taken some Homeschool Connections courses which he loves, he is teaching himself Russian. He would not have been able to do any of this, had he been taking classes at LSUS. No dual enrollment for him then.

The there is the CLEP option. We didn't even considered it (plus I can't imagine that UD does Clepping) It seems to me that it betrays, negates our life as homeschoolers. What education is that?What about learning? ( I am not criticizing those who choose that option-just sharing our thought process).

I am thinking like you, Marilyn, if God wants him there, he will open doors. On our case, I think our son needs to be more proactive searching for doors, engaging in problem solving, imagining scenarios,, etc. But we pray and pray , hoping that he will be able to go where he wants.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version