Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Family Rosary Tips Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Since October is Rosary Month, do any families have tips on getting successfully through the Rosary? When do you pray it during the day? Who joins in? Should we require the kids to come pray if they claim they are tired, busy, playing, in the bathroom, etc. At what age?

In our house, my husband and I have jokingly called it Rosary Circus (to each other). It does get frustrating when chaos breaks out and you can't even hear the one leading it. We finally cut back to one decade and required silence during that time. Toddlers could quietly play, older kids had to join in and we encouraged them to kneel (for some reason I feel abusive if I force them to kneel, although I know it really works for some families). It seems when we get on our knees, the older ones (7 & 9) join us. I would like to get back to praying the whole thing as a family but for now we're going to do the decade. We've just joined the Living Rosary Assoc. where each person is assigned a mystery to pray each day and people all over the world unite and say their decades thus making up full rosaries (Does that make sense?) I guess it was 1st started by Pauline Jaricot in France. Do a Web search for info since I don't have a link. (Its based in Texas).

Also we found it so hard to bring everyone together after dinner, so we moved our decade to pray right before bedtime when we are all together anyway, getting ready for bed.
Love to hear what people have to say. I want my children to love the Rosary.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Laura
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Laura

We say the rosary at 3:00 M-Th, and the Divine Mercy Chaplet on Fridays at 3:00.

My 2 year old is napping at that time, so it is me and the other 5, well 6 if you count baby Naomi!

And yes, it is the Rosary Circus here as well on most days.
I used to get very angry and frustrated about how crazy it was, but now I try to keep order and peace the best I can and tell myself that a crazy rosary is better then none.
They all like the Divine Mercy Chaplet better because it is faster, but as time has gone on they no longer complain about saying the rosary, but they still do not enjoy it with the exception of my 17 year old dd.
I think they will come around though now that Baltimore Catechism has started up again at our church. My son is already geneflecting and making the sign of the cross with much more reverence and care then he did before and I credit his Catechism teacher for that!
Starting off with a decade and building from there is a great idea with the littler ones.

wife to Ken and mom to 8 blessings with #9 due July 26,2009
Back to Top View Laura's Profile Search for other posts by Laura

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Do you have pictures of the mysteries you could display? I heard Matthew Pinto talk at a homeschooling conference, and he recommended a book in which the dc could draw a picture for each mystery. This way they are coloring (quiet) and praying at the same time.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

We have a laminated poster of the mysteries, and it definitely helps. My neighbor suggested, since she has four children old enough to participate, that she and her four each lead two Hail Marys. It helps to keep some kiddos from getting off track on the beads.

We usually start our day with the rosary--around 9ish. Nighttime is too crazy. We typically sit where we're comfortable, usually cross-legged in a circle in the family room. I know we should probably kneel, but we would never make it through. Patrick plays with his toys or trys to steal our rosaries, but we usually do okay.

This Scriptural Rosary is nice, but we will usually only do one decade if we do this. It is very meaningful, though, and helps littles to understand what's going on.

My 9yo is doing a Rosary Scrapbook (ala Elizabeth's First Holy Communtion Scrapbook) using the mysteries pictures from CHC. They are very nice. We're using a spiral bound scrapbook so that, hopefully, it will guide the whole family through the mysteries.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

We say ours most nights just before RA time. It is sometimes a circus, but we believe the Blessed Mother will still take our prayers straight to the top with or without the rukus Sometimes we'll light candles if it's a special feast night and we always add in prayer intentions.

Thanks for the scriptural rosary site it looks great!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Laura
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Laura

Yes, letting the children help to lead the decades makes a BIG difference. Adding the many prayer requests from our group here, and from our church helps them to pay attention as well.

wife to Ken and mom to 8 blessings with #9 due July 26,2009
Back to Top View Laura's Profile Search for other posts by Laura

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Marybeth wrote:
Do you have pictures of the mysteries you could display?

Faith and Family magazine had beautiful full color pictures of the mysteries in several issues 2003-04. I copied those and laminated them.

Marybeth wrote:
I heard Matthew Pinto talk at a homeschooling conference, and he recommended a book in which the dc could draw a picture for each mystery. This way they are coloring (quiet) and praying at the same time.

This is the workbook that Matt Pinto recommends for young children to draw along with the rosary. They have a larger tablet version as well.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My problem is toddler-sized. I have rosary pictures in a flip easel to display, but he's rough with it and I need to come up with an alternative that he can touch and play with.

I got this idea from another list:
Church of St. Paul Catechesis Program. The rosary cards which are very sturdy laminate (safe for teething toddlers). They come on a sturdy keyring, feature very simple watercolors of each mystery based on simple line drawings.

What ages is this workbook from Ascension Press?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Thanks. These are all great ideas. We prayed the entire Rosary last night and it was great. I'm going to get some pictures also.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
My problem is toddler-sized. I have rosary pictures in a flip easel to display, but he's rough with it and I need to come up with an alternative that he can touch and play with.

You could get those pictures color copied and then laminated. And hook them together with a ring clip for him.

jenngm67 wrote:
What ages is this workbook from Ascension Press?
I don't know - I imagine it would work for any age you wanted to spend the money. Personally for one younger than say 4 or 5 or so I probably wouldn't spend the money since they just scribble. I would make my own along the same lines or buy it and photocopy pages so it would be reusable.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
jenngm67 wrote:

You could get those pictures color copied and then laminated. And hook them together with a ring clip for him.

I like that idea...why didn't I think of that!? I'm just not savvy with lamination yet.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
I like that idea...why didn't I think of that!? I'm just not savvy with lamination yet.

Photocopy places will laminate for a fee (kind of spendy). Mardel's (Christian and school supply) stores laminate and the price is much lower. There have been several threads about personal laminating machines. I don't have one so if I want to laminate something myself I just use the clear contact paper method. Not quite as durable but it still works.

Our Domestic Church

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2005 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

We have Schoolbox educational stores where i live. They charge about 40 cents a foot for laminating, but the machine is about 4 feet wide, so you can fit a lot of stuff across it. Teachers use it all the time to laminate those big things they get for their walls at public schools. Just be sure to cut apart anything that will be separate *before* you laminate, so there are sealed edges around the entire piece.
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was searching for some coloring pages of a rosary...just the beads of the rosary. Haven't found one yet...so if anyone can pass one along.

But I did find some great workbook/coloring pages for the mysteries of the rosary from catechetical resources. I hope this link works. This pulled up many activities on Mary. Scroll down to see the options for the rosary.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

A long time ago I signed up as a member of Rosary Confraternity. This is a good organization...even if you don't want to commit to being a member. Who knows the rosary better than the Dominicans? I enjoyed receiving their newsletter because they would have scissored paper cuttings of Sister Mary Jean Dorcy. I'm a huge fan of hers! Unfortunately, none of her cuttings are displayed in the archived editions.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

CHC has something on the rosary in their 3rd grade lesson plans. We haven't gotten to it yet but are planning to. It involves coloring mysteries of the rosary and writing their own meditation. I'd use the pages for all to color as long as I had permission from CHC to copy that part for each of the children for this year.

We have also used coloring books - Tan sells a bunch on the rosary, but that didn't work as well for us. We end up saying the prayers very slowly so our toddler can participate and then somewhere in the middle, he wanders off.

We're still looking for solutions to the rosary circus as 3yo still thinks he should be center stage at all times and becomes very distracting if the rosary continues for very long after he's wandered.

Also, how do you keep 3 yo from breaking the rosaries and does anyone know how to repair the chain/metal rosaries?

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Holy Cross Family Ministries also has a set of Mysteries of the Rosary Activity Booklets. This thread reminded me I need to pull those out again.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2005 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Just found this virtual rosary site -59 Beads. It is really cool. They only have the joyful mysteries up right now, but are working on it. I know Gwen posted a children's on-line rosary awhile back, but I'd never seem this one.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version