Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Montessori help - can I do this? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 28 2008 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

JennGM wrote:
Meredith, this sounds really interesting, but I couldn't find anything on this link. Can you check it for me, please?

Well, no wonder, that was positively the wrong link. So sorry, try this. You sign up but it's free and then click and download away.

Learning Page

Here is a link to a sample First Grade math page in their Oceans theme:
First Grade Math Page Sample

When you download them they are all in pdf format. Hope this helps, sorry again about the other link, it was interesting but definately not what I meant to link

Hugs,

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2008 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

JennGM wrote:
Thanks so much for the feedback on math. Lots to mull over. So what I'm hearing is the RightStart is based on Montessori concepts, but using traditional Montessori beads alongside would be confusing and incompatible?

Andrea, what were the downsides of Singapore math? Compared to RightStart? I know my one sister who loves Montessori used that for a while.

Jenn - re Singapore - I used the Singapore Early Bird this year with Matthew and I loved it - I think it would go well with Montessori.

My 3 older ones did Singapore in Grade 1 (twins), Grade 3 (Abby) - it was very good for mental Math and developing thinking skills rather than boring drill - but this in my opinion is also its negative point - it moves onto concepts too quickly and it does not have enough drill. I used to supplement with Calculadders

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2008 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Meredith wrote:
JennGM wrote:
Meredith, this sounds really interesting, but I couldn't find anything on this link. Can you check it for me, please?

Well, no wonder, that was positively the wrong link. So sorry, try this. You sign up but it's free and then click and download away.

Learning Page

Here is a link to a sample First Grade math page in their Oceans theme:
First Grade Math Page Sample

When you download them they are all in pdf format. Hope this helps, sorry again about the other link, it was interesting but definately not what I meant to link

Hugs,

Meredith - what an awesome resource - thank you for linking.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2008 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

You're welcome, I'm glad it is helpful. I do not forsee needing to buy a workbook for early elementary math again as these are so much better and work so nicely with any of the Montessori math materials!!

Have a great day!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2008 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Angel

MarilynW wrote:

My 3 older ones did Singapore in Grade 1 (twins), Grade 3 (Abby) - it was very good for mental Math and developing thinking skills rather than boring drill - but this in my opinion is also its negative point - it moves onto concepts too quickly and it does not have enough drill.

I totally agree. I just decided to go straight Montessori with my dd instead; now we stick with her timetable.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2008 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

No I don't think you'd want RightStart if you weren't going to follow its schedule. I think the worksheets Meredith linked would probably be better for that!
RightStart does sell a math games book and kit that would work well with montessori, the games are designed to make the math drill fun! Some are montessori inspired.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2008 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

JennGM wrote:

It does help, Donna. What I'm trying to picture is when you used Right Start, were you pushed along by their schedule, or could you do a Montessori Math approach and supplement with the RS, maybe with gaps when you didn't need their scripts? Or vice versa...the materials were the supplements?

The Mortensen math sounds intriguing, but I can't navigate the website, and it loooks like it hasn't been updated since 2006. Can't find the pages...

I used Right Start as it was written. There are several activities for each day and we "played" with them for as long as the children wanted to. I didn't feel pushed along a schedule...I found it was a good way for me to pace myself and I always read ahead and plugged in Montessori materials wherever I felt we needed them. The extra materials were not necessary as there were plenty of materials used within the program, the main one being the abacus and math card games to cement concepts quickly (FYI: I got the more expensive abacus and the mini one that you make out of skewers, pony beads and popsicle sticks...the mini one has lasted and held up even though it has been used and abused for many years!...besides the fact that they helped make them and GOT the concept of how many beads were on each line and why quickly because of that "craft")

The author of the program was Montessori trained and was well accepted by the Montessori community.   There is a powerpoint presentation ather site that is geared toward Montessori. I talked to her once and she says she was trained under Mario Montessori and had a few quibbles about some of the presentations based on her research...she then began to back up her issues one at a time. They made sense. She made the Montessori math even more visual and user friendly for the young ones. You can even CALL her with questions...a very interesting lady. I have a few cassettes of her talks at various conventions. These talks are what made me want to use the program.

I was using this just the other day with my 5yo. I really enjoyed the time spent with him and loved the "lightbulb" moment he had when he realized how simple the idea of subtraction was. Just by using the very visual abacus he could easily see that in his words "subtraction is just addition backwards!!"    One of my twins was very delayed in math due to a processing issue. Between this program and other things we did, she was able to overcome so many of her issues. She had a visual processing problem as well as a visual gift. By being able to visualize everything she did, she was able to use the "abacus in my head" and come up with the right number, not just a guess.

Yes, it can be a bit mommy-intensive but! The RESULTS were wonderful! And this comes from a lady who used quite a few programs and is often distracted by many things in any given minute...

God love you,
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc +one more due 10/08!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2008 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I am using Montessori pretty much exclusively with dd. I do occasionally use the same site as Meredith for sample problems to do with the beads or strip boards (dd's choice), just to add variety. Or sometimes I just jot down a few for her to do. I feel confident the Montessori materials will be more than adequate for computation and concepts, but one thing I will be adding in next year is some problem-solving.
I will be using this series:
Read it! Draw it! Solve it!
and this one:Primary Grade Challenge Math

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 28 2008 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Donna Marie wrote:

I used Right Start as it was written. There are several activities for each day and we "played" with them for as long as the children wanted to. I didn't feel pushed along a schedule...I found it was a good way for me to pace myself and I always read ahead and plugged in Montessori materials wherever I felt we needed them. The extra materials were not necessary as there were plenty of materials used within the program, the main one being the abacus and math card games to cement concepts quickly (FYI: I got the more expensive abacus and the mini one that you make out of skewers, pony beads and popsicle sticks...the mini one has lasted and held up even though it has been used and abused for many years!...besides the fact that they helped make them and GOT the concept of how many beads were on each line and why quickly because of that "craft")

The author of the program was Montessori trained and was well accepted by the Montessori community.   There is a powerpoint presentation ather site that is geared toward Montessori. I talked to her once and she says she was trained under Mario Montessori and had a few quibbles about some of the presentations based on her research...she then began to back up her issues one at a time. They made sense. She made the Montessori math even more visual and user friendly for the young ones. You can even CALL her with questions...a very interesting lady. I have a few cassettes of her talks at various conventions. These talks are what made me want to use the program.

I was using this just the other day with my 5yo. I really enjoyed the time spent with him and loved the "lightbulb" moment he had when he realized how simple the idea of subtraction was. Just by using the very visual abacus he could easily see that in his words "subtraction is just addition backwards!!"    One of my twins was very delayed in math due to a processing issue. Between this program and other things we did, she was able to overcome so many of her issues. She had a visual processing problem as well as a visual gift. By being able to visualize everything she did, she was able to use the "abacus in my head" and come up with the right number, not just a guess.

Yes, it can be a bit mommy-intensive but! The RESULTS were wonderful! And this comes from a lady who used quite a few programs and is often distracted by many things in any given minute...

God love you,
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc +one more due 10/08!

Donna Marie - this was so helpful to me.

Donna Marie and Andrea -
I'm sitting on the fence with Right Start. I do like the program. I'd like to know a couple of things...

Specifically...

How do you use it alongside Montessori? Do you follow the program and then at common sense points stop and offer a presentation aligning with the same concept?

Does it make sense to align it with Montessori presentations or would that be redundant?

In what way is it teacher intensive? Do you have to read a lesson before you present? Gather materials? Have devoted time to sit down face to face and present a lesson?

How long do you usually spend on a lesson block?

How many times a week do you use Right Start versus just offering Montessori choice time?

Since I know both of you like Montessori Math materials - what is it about Right Start that attracts you and keeps you instead of just using a pure Montessori presentation approach?

Thank you so much for your take on this!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2008 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Pulling up This thread from last year on Montessori Math was helpful to me, too.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2008 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I have just posted my kindergarten goals - I will post more detailed plans later.

Everything I wanted to know, I learned in Kindergarten..

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 28 2008 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I hope you guys don't mind, but I started a new thread about specific questions I had on Montessori Math over here. I felt bad about hijacking Marilyn's general "can I do this?" thread with my questions about math.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version