Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Montessori help - can I do this? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 20 2008 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I am planning K for my 4 year old for next school year. My question is whether it is too ambitious for me to try and set up a Montessori plan - I will be homeschooling Grade 7 down and have a baby who will be very active. When doing school plans for the others I have tried to simplify - I have the unfortunate tendency often to spending too much time planning and researching. I am also on the fairly tight budget - though time is probably more scarce than money

Whilst I have seen the benefits of Montessori activities in the early years - I feel overwhelmed at coming up with a plan for K. All my older ones have used traditional methods of reading and Math.

Any help would be appreciated.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

It might be -- are you trying to implement ALL Montessori activities or just certain areas? And I'm only saying that because I know I slowly add Montessori stuff over the past four years... just because it takes me a while to read, learn, buy, implement, etc.

I think it's doable to learn certain areas and implement those imo! And then do everything else in three period lessons, etc. The experts here probably have better ideas.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Ok, IMHO, if I were going to keep it simple, I'd focus on the language and math materials. Everything else can be learned through living life, or living books (Well, really language and math can too, but that is another issue altogether.)or by listening in on sibling lessons.
I'd set up a language center and a math center with the materials ahead of time, and just present the materials as you can, and as your dc needs them. Your child will let you know when it is time to move on to the next thing.
One of the benefits of Montessori is that once you have done a presentation, the child can come back and re-visit the materials as often as he/she likes, and does not need you there to do it with them. Perhaps just glancing over from time to time to gently correct, observe, and encourage. I think it frees you up a great deal, as opposed to a more parent-led program.
For example, last night before I went to bed, I laid out the stamp game and a sheet of 6 problems for dd to work.She has not done them yet this morning, but she will eventually. It is too tempting for her just laying there like that! And since I presented the game already a few weeks ago, I will not even have to work with her, just glance over and tell her what an awesome job she is doing!LOL!
For language this week I have laid out a new set of pictures for her to label with pre-printed labels and/or her moveable alphabet.Again, we have done this before, so she knows what to do with them.
So, while the set-up for Montessori may take some time, I think the implementation is actually less time consuming than many other things.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

lapazfarm wrote:
So, while the set-up for Montessori may take some time, I think the implementation is actually less time consuming than many other things.

I totally agree with you -- especially laying things out. Truly that's what keeps me going with Montessori. At night, I can lay stuff out...(why I'm hardly on the computer at night!) ... and we have independent learning during the day!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

montessori_lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 20 2008 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote montessori_lori

Hi, Marilyn! I'll answer your question here so others can benefit.

In Montessori, we think of the 3-6 age program as one seamless time; we don't pull out the 5-year olds and say "this is now kindergarten". The 5-year olds will continue to do much of the same work they did in their 3-4 ages, but usually with some additional challenges. There's no Montessori kindergarten curriculum.

That said, your 5-year old will most likely be learning to read and write, and learning teen & ten numbers and beginning addition and subtraction. A movable alphabet and a box of bead bars will be used all the time, so those are wise investments. You'll want some beginning readers, and some nomenclature cards for plants and animals.

In homeschooling homes, the younger children seem to learn so much from the older ones. If I were you, I would have the older ones also work with the 5-year old, and possibly do some simple lessons or experiments that all of the kids can enjoy.

For instance, do a volcano demonstration and then have the older kids research specific volcanoes while the younger one draws a picture of a volcano. There's so much you can do that way - an introductory lesson for everyone, with extensions that vary by age.

If you don't have my 3-6 Comprehensive List, it's almost a must. Go through it this summer and check off/cross off everything your 5-year old has already done or learned. Then start with whatever's next. Lather, rinse, repeat!
Back to Top View montessori_lori's Profile Search for other posts by montessori_lori

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks Lori and everyone for your suggestions.

I will get the lists Lori and spend some time on your site and links.

I will probably incorporate some Montessori ideas with our read alouds,our liturgical year ideas etc. I just need to have a plan. My 4 year old is so keen - and each morning he asks "what is my work today!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 20 2008 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Marilyn,
I'm going to second Lori's guides - they will help with the bigger picture. I pull them out on a daily basis!

JP is doing some preschool/kindergarten type work next year and most of it is Montessori. You can do this, but I would encourage focusing on just a couple of areas if you are concerned about being overwhelmed! Truly, as others have said, most of the work is in the planning phase. Once I presented a few materials the work done was independent and I did find it to be much easier on me in that sense. It's the getting there though...

I love the math materials for Montessori, but they are the most intimidating at first. Honestly, once I dug in, they made a lot of sense and were easy to implement, but...I'm afraid to suggest them because they do seem overwhelming at first. Still, if you had the motivation, it would be one area I'd encourage looking into. Obviously, he's in Kindergarten, so you won't be diving into more difficult math processes with Montessori materials at first. I warn you, the bead materials are REALLY attractive to kids. And they gravitate towards them the minute they come out. I love the beads, and use them frequently in elementary math. A basic set of beads is really nice to have. I use my box daily!!! Alison's has a great price, too. The Montessori shelves in my house are set up to accomodate the different ages I have. So...chewable stuff is down low for the baby (once she' mobile,) and I keep beads up high. I love the number cards as well. You can use them to introduce teens, and later place value. I set them out to represent a number and then ask them to show that number with the beads. Or vice versa. I use these a lot.

One of my other favorites this year has been the moveable alphabet. It has been used by every child in my house! A great pay-off for the investment. I'll be using it a lot next year with JP.

Practical life trays have been a big hit too, and almost everything I put together for those came from a thrift store - polishing, flower arranging, scooping, sorting, etc. Those would be easy to put together.

Is this what you're looking for, Marilyn? I really think if you get Lori's list for 3-6, take a look at her basics posts, and you'll have a better idea if this is something you have time and budget to pursue.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Marilyn,

I know how you feel; I'm going to have one starting kindergarten, too, and it feels so official all of a sudden! (Although at least I won't have to file any paperwork for him until 1st grade.) I'm trying to remember how I did this with his older brother and sister, but of course, I wasn't doing Montessori when they were in kindergarten.

If it helps, what I am going to concentrate on for my 5 yo as far as Montessori is concerned is practical life (because he enjoys it), language, and math... (and we'll work with the map puzzles, too, but I wouldn't consider those essential. Besides, he'll be doing the maps with his older sister.) We do history and science as a family with read alouds, etc., and we mark the liturgical year the same way. I have our china cabinet set up with a box of holy cards, some statues of Jesus, Our Lady, and various saints, and a few rosaries, and the kids are free to put flowers there, or to look through the holy cards, or use them for projects, or to pray... It's sort of Montessori-inspired, I guess, but it's definitely not CGS.

It's also easy to display books, which your 4 yo will be free to look at during his work period. (I imagine that you probably already have a few simple aspects of a Montessori environment in place, or can implement them easily, and work from there.)

I've probably invested the most time and money in Montessori math, but I think it's worth it. As everyone else has said, a basic set of bead bars is invaluable. We've been using the beads from the Snake Game for years. If you're not comfortable doing all the Montessori presentations, the beads are still my manipulative of choice for any kind of math. They're so much nicer to work with, at least the ones we have from Montessori Outlet.

I think, though, that I am coming to the conclusion that with Montessori less is sometimes more. I've had more success when I focus on adding little bits at a time than when I try to do everything for everybody at once.

Now if someone could just remind me of that in a few months!

--Angela

Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Jennifer - thank you for the information. I will start off with Lori's lists. And I will probably be asking you a few questions

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Angela - thank you - you make it sound more doable. My little guy likes "busy work" and I am so tired right now it is tempting to just get in a stack of workbooks - but this is not what I know is best.

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2008 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Mackfam wrote:

One of my other favorites this year has been the moveable alphabet. It has been used by every child in my house! A great pay-off for the investment. I'll be using it a lot next year with JP.

How do you use the moveable alphabet Jennifer? I'm asking because I'm wondering how to use it in a self-correcting way.

Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

montessori_lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 26 2008 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote montessori_lori

How do you use the moveable alphabet Jennifer? I'm asking because I'm wondering how to use it in a self-correcting way.

Not all materials are self-correcting - in the case of the many movable alphabet exercises, the teacher/parent is the control.

MAs are used for spelling pink, blue, and green series words with objects or pictures. If you have the word printed on a card, the child can use the cards after writing the word to check the spelling. However, they may still need your help.

MAs are great for story writing - the child writes a story out on the rug, spelling words the best they can. The parent or teacher checks the story and helps them correct the spelling before they write it on a piece of paper.
Back to Top View montessori_lori's Profile Search for other posts by montessori_lori

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 26 2008 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Brenda,
I used the moveable alphabet as Lori describes it above. Last year, I used it a great deal with my 7yo (reluctant writer.) I would dictate words from our phonics/reading lessons and he would build the words with the alphabet. Occasionally, I would print a group of words out in large print on the computer on heavy cardstock. On one side of the card would be the word and on the other a sticker or picture of the object (cat, dog, etc. for early readers and more difficult as reading progresses) named on the other side of the card. My son would look at the picture, spell out the word and then look at the back of the card to self-check. That was the only self-checking exercise with the moveable alphabet that I recall that we did.

Next year, I will use it a good bit more with my 3 1/2 yo. We'll use it with the sandpaper letters. But, I will offer correction, it will not be self-correcting.

I really enjoyed the moveable alphabet, and I found many uses for it last year. Here are a few presentations for starting out with the Moveable Alphabet.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2008 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I really like the MA as well. I think it is a great tool.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2008 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

montessori_lori wrote:

Not all materials are self-correcting - in the case of the many movable alphabet exercises, the teacher/parent is the control.

MAs are used for spelling pink, blue, and green series words with objects or pictures. If you have the word printed on a card, the child can use the cards after writing the word to check the spelling. However, they may still need your help.

MAs are great for story writing - the child writes a story out on the rug, spelling words the best they can. The parent or teacher checks the story and helps them correct the spelling before they write it on a piece of paper.

Lori - I have a question about your downloads eg the Pink series. Would I print them out on card and laminate them? I only have a deskjet printer - would this be good enough?

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2008 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

lapazfarm wrote:
I really like the MA as well. I think it is a great tool.

Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone!

Theresa, Do you use the MA in the same way as Jennifer?

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Pretty much.
I use it along with pictures from the pink and blue series and either I check her work or dd self-checks using the picture cards with the labels.
I also will call out words and she spells them, and I will dictate a sentence and she writes it using the MA.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2008 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

lapazfarm wrote:
I also will call out words and she spells them, and I will dictate a sentence and she writes it using the MA.

This is what we do a lot here too. The MA get lots of use at our house.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2008 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

When my dd was learning to read, my dd and I would sit down with the MA every day. We would play rhyming games with word families, seeing how many words we could form with the same ending. I would write words or sentences with it for her to read, and then she would write words or sentences with it for me to read.

I originally bought the MA for my oldest ds because he *hated* writing -- would throw enormous screaming fits if asked him to write anything. Like Jennifer and Theresa, I would call out words for him to spell. I used it along with the lists from Spelling Power for a while, but Spelling Power seemed illogical to me, so we ditched it in favor of lists I made up. (More word families.)

I haven't used it too much with my just-turned 5 yo yet, but he's primarily sorted letters with it while asking his older sister to spell words for him. She asks him to find the letters and put them back in the proper place. She asks me if she's spelling the words right. (We should do more of this, actually, because it kills two birds with one stone.)

My 2 yos are at the sandpaper letter stage right now, but I am looking forward to using the MA with them when they're ready. It's a terrific tool, IMO, well worth the investment.

We have the large alphabet from Montessori Outlet, with consonants in red and vowels in blue.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thank you everyone for your great ideas and taking so much time to explain stuff.

I am still praying and planning - but I have downloaded Lori's 3-6 list as a starter. My initial feeling is that I will use a moveable alpabet and Lori's pink series to get started. I will also get some sandpaper letters. ( I am not even going to attempt to make them at this stage!). This seems to me to be the best approach to reading - I really cannot face a phonics program

Re Math - I looked at Lori's bead materials and they look fun. I may invest in some beads like Jennifer said - and work on these and a hundreds board.

Thank you again for all the advice.

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version