Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Monstrance Craft ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 17 2008 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

I am thinking of getting our son to do a craft of a monstrance to get ready for Corpus Christi. Can anyone give me any help? I can't find one using google, though that may just be because I'm dense, and I've only seen once monstrance in my life that I can think of, so I'm not sure how to wing it.

Would it be faintly sacriligeous to make one? Or what else could we try for a craft? DS can remember Corpus Christi last year, when we were at a very high anglo catholic church and he LOVED it - mainly because of the rose petals and processing!

Thanks for any help!
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2008 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Well, my son builds them out of Tinker Toys! But that doesn't quite sound like what you are going for :)

I don't think its sacrilegious to make a monstrance--you might want to discourage turning it into a sword afterwards, but that sounds like a lovely way to get ready for Corpus Christi.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2008 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

Lucy, I came here last year looking for a monstrance craft for Blue Knights. Here is what we made.Monstrance craft I bought unfinished wooden candle stick holders from Hobby Lobby and we sprayed them gold. We used gold rings from HL too and tied a laminated host to it after the boys bent the pipe cleaners into the shapes for the rays from a monstrance. We still have ours in my curio cabinet... we love it!

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 17 2008 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

snowbabiesmom wrote:
Lucy, I came here last year looking for a monstrance craft for Blue Knights. Here is what we made.Monstrance craft I bought unfinished wooden candle stick holders from Hobby Lobby and we sprayed them gold. We used gold rings from HL too and tied a laminated host to it after the boys bent the pipe cleaners into the shapes for the rays from a monstrance. We still have ours in my curio cabinet... we love it!

Oh, how lovely! what a great idea!

I mentioned in this post about First Communion Breads that for the Sicilian St. Joseph Altar they make symbolic pastries, and one that is almost always present is the spada (sometimes spelled spata) or monstrance.

Some resources: Thank Evann with picture

Some more illustrations:

here and here.

That's all I could find right now, have to run!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

We made one for my dd first communion notebook. We made it out of a gold colored doily. You can get them in small and large sizes. I also made one with these for out Mass kit. I glued it onto a piece of cardboard to make it stand up. They were really pretty.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 17 2008 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Tina

Last summer my children attended a local Catholic VBS and they each made a Monstrance using something similar to this. They painted them gold then the children were given sticky gems like these to decorate with. Then a white circular cutout was placed in the center of the cross. My daughters still have these on their dresser in their room. Not sure if they sell the wooden crosses in craft stores, but I'm sure they have the gems.

There is also a Monstrance project in A Year with God that involves poster board (I think) shaped into a cross and decorated with gold glitter. The center is a circle that works like a "door" that opens to reveal a holy card of Jesus. We haven't tried it yet, but it's simple enough that we might do it this year.

~Tina
mom to 3 girls and 1 little man
The Best of Times
Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 17 2008 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

All these sound so creative and lovely!

I haven't seen stand-up crosses at the craft store, but they do have a variety of wooden crosses....in fact I have some here. Now to make a base....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 17 2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Tina

I just looked at the wooden Monstrance on my daughters' dresser and realized I forgot to mention one thing. After the crosses were painted gold, a gold posterboard circle was glued to the cross behind the "Eucharist" to sort of frame it. Then the gems were stuck onto the gold circle around it. Sorry I don't have a pic. If I find time today, I'll take one and post it later.

BTW, I love the idea of the gold doily Monstrance in a First Communion album!

~Tina
mom of 3 girls and one little man
The Best of Times
Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version