Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Teacher Planner w/ Catechetical Insert Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 16 2008 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Darn that Florida move! Otherwise I'd be in

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2008 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Minnesota Moms - I just spoke with the homeschool resources coordinator for St. George's Catholic Bookstore in Blaine. They bought out the remaining stock of By Way of The Family and are actually expaning their homeschool offerings. I asked her about this planner and she said she will more than likely be ordering them and will hopefully have them available at the Catholic Home Educators conference this month at The University of St. Thomas. Even if she doesn't have them in by then it is something you could purchase at the store. I don't know the price but hopefully it will not be as expensive as ordering just 1 planner from the company.
Back to Top View Waverley's Profile Search for other posts by Waverley

K&Rs Mom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 17 2008 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote K&Rs Mom

JennGM wrote:

Oh dear, I'm having problems figuring out what would be the most convenient way to do this! I wasn't exactly volunteering, but if someone can give suggestions on a good way to do this without having to put forward a intial amount of cash.....and my paypal accont is giving me fits lately.

I don't remember if it gave me any options when I ordered, but they just sent an invoice with my books that said "due on receipt," so I mailed back a check. This may make it easier to manage a combined order.

Aubrey
Back to Top View K&Rs Mom's Profile Search for other posts by K&Rs Mom Visit K&Rs Mom's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2008 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Has anyone compared them to the Pflaum Planners. The thing I like about Pflaum is that the subjects can be filled in.
Any views?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2008 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Maria B...your pm box is full and I haven't been able to get a pm out to you all weekend.

This is for anyone in our area...if anyone wants to order, please let me know by Tuesday. I'll be ordering on Wednesday.

Thanks! Sorry I had to post this...but I just couldn't figure out how to get in touch with Maria B. otherwise!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

jennthmg
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 19 2008 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote jennthmg

I haven't used the Pflaum Teacher planners, just the student ones.

I thought the Good News Planners were more "Catholic". (just my opinion). The Pflaum ones had more vocabulary words and I thought more fluff, the Good News had more saint days listed and had a more spiritual focus (again, just my opinion).

I did like that you could fill in your own headings on the Pflaum ones and in what order you want. For me, the fact that the Good News ones had a column for spelling words (or poetry memorization or whatever you wanted to put there) really compensated for that loss.

I just looked at this year's Pflaum Student Planners and it looks like they put headings at the top of the Intermediate Planner and it sort of looks like the two are competing and becoming more alike (the differences were more when I switched from Pflaum to GoodNews last year).

I also found the 2 boxes at the top of each subject distracting and just took up space. It seemed like a good idea at first, but it didn't match the way we do school. We may have 2 or 3 assignments in one category (read book & narrate & sketch for history -or- memorize poem, copywork on bible verse & page 29 of grammar workbook for lang. arts), so I would need to check off each of those lines, not just the whole of Lang. Arts.

The lines in the subject boxes in the Good News planners are much lighter (light grey) and I can easily write over the check off boxes or continue assignments on the next line without it being visually distracting.

The Good News Student Planners feel like they have more space to write in...I don't know if they do. Where the spiral comes, the Pflaum planners have a definate edge to the column so there is a margin. In the Good News, the lines extend into the spine so you aren't writing past the line ending that column (maybe that doesn't bother other people, but my kids and I get frustrating feeling like I can't fit everything in if I have to write past the edge -- there's not an artificial edge to interfere in the Good News. I also think the Good News columns are wider, but I don't physically have a plfaum to compare it with right now. I think the headers may be the same, but the footer is smaller in the Good News leaving more space to write in assignments.

I also like how in the header the Good News planners look ahead to next week's Gospel while on the date they have whatever Sunday we just past. The Pflaum planners only look back on last Sunday's Gospel in their 2 page spread.

Even in their intermediate planners the pfaum ones seemed...a little simplistic -- I guess it depends on what age you want to use them for.

There's NOTHING WRONG with the Pflaum. I used them for 2 years and was pleased. The Good News planners fit our family better.

Jenn
Back to Top View jennthmg's Profile Search for other posts by jennthmg

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2008 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

jennthmg wrote:
There's NOTHING WRONG with the Pflaum. I used them for 2 years and was pleased. The Good News planners fit our family better.

Jenn

I think one of the things that I like about the Good News planners from the sample is that with High School/Jr. High students, having the headers doesn't work well for us. With doing Trisms, a more research based unit study with our high schooler, and moving toward a much more Charlotte Mason based curriculum with our youngest, having the bigger, more open space per day should fit our family better for now.

Often, like you said, Jenn, we have two or three Language Arts assignments in one day (copywork, grammar, writing), and may not have something of another subject another. Our days look different every day with what we use, not as subject oriented all in a row. So I'm hoping the Good News Planner will end up working better for us, and keeping it all in order better for us.

I had tried a self made type of planner this year, and while it worked better, with daily lists, daily lists were way too burdensome. So moving to this more open, weekly list, all in one spiral bound book I'm hoping will finally be the ticket! Let's hope anyway...

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

I'm going to contact allcatholicbooks now to see if they'll consider carrying them. Nothing to lose by asking, and it would be easier to just pay one shipping charge. I'll let you know if I hear back from them.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2008 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

Update-
I contacted allcatholic and they are looking into the possibility of carrying the planners.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2008 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

I have a question for anyone who has used these?
I am planning on ordering student planners for my kids (elementary and primary), and I want a teacher planner but am not sure which one to get (elementary or primary) or do I need both, since I have both types of student planners? Any help on this is much appreciated!

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

I just got mine in the mail and I have to agree that these are very awesome! My daughter and I can't wait to start 2nd grade. And hopefully we will be able to delve more into the liturgical year with less work for me. Thanks for the recommendation, Jenn!

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2008 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote DianaC

Andrea,

The teacher flier in the link shows that the elementary teacher planner has the supplement pages for both the primary and elementary planners.

I just ordered ours - I too think that this will help us stay on track with the liturgical year.
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

K&Rs Mom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 21 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote K&Rs Mom

AndreaG wrote:
I have a question for anyone who has used these?
I am planning on ordering student planners for my kids (elementary and primary), and I want a teacher planner but am not sure which one to get (elementary or primary) or do I need both, since I have both types of student planners? Any help on this is much appreciated!

I bought the primary teacher one, and it says it has the elementary supplements included (though I haven't actually looked at the elementary one to compare).

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 22 2008 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

So does the primary one have the boxes for each subject?
I noticed the primary student planner is different from the elementary student planner in that the boxes aren't labeled by subject and the lines are more widely ruled (and there are only two lines per box).
I'm wondering if the primary teacher planner is identical to the primary student one, or if the planner pages are more similar to the elementary one (smaller lines, labeled by subject at the top of the boxes), which would seem to make sense for an adult using it to plan lessons.
I'm not sure I'm explaining my question well- I wish I could see these in person!
Thanks for all your replies!

jennthmg
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 22 2008 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote jennthmg

I haven't ordered the primary teacher's planner, but my understanding is that the Teacher's planner consists of all the supplements for all 3 levels and a student planner all bound in one book. So, the Primary Teacher's Planner would be the Primary Student Book with the 2 wide ruled lines with all the teacher supplements.

I know for a fact that the Elementary Teacher Planner has the boxes of the Elementary Student Planner with the supplements for all 3 levels.

They don't make a Jr. High Teacher Planner.

Jenn
Back to Top View jennthmg's Profile Search for other posts by jennthmg

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 22 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Thank you Jenn!
I think from your description that I want the elementary teacher planner, since that sounds like it will better for recording my plans. I don't want to miss out on anything in the primary teacher planner (which costs $1 more so I am guessing has additional things for younger kids), so perhaps I'll order both and then I can at least compare them side by side.
I did request samples and hopefully those will add clarity also!
Sorry for all the questions I am coordinating an order with my homeschool group and want to know what I am reccomending to people.

K&Rs Mom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 22 2008 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote K&Rs Mom

AndreaG wrote:
So does the primary one have the boxes for each subject?
I'm wondering if the primary teacher planner is identical to the primary student one, or if the planner pages are more similar to the elementary one (smaller lines, labeled by subject at the top of the boxes), which would seem to make sense for an adult using it to plan lessons.

The dated pages in the primary teacher planner are not like the student planner (with the large writing lines). Is that what you were asking?

Here's my description (primary teacher planner):
- section 1 is like a teachers' manual that would go with any text: a few paragraphs giving ideas how to teach whatever is in the student planner for each day and how to present things for the week
- section 2 is some history & seasonal activities to add in where necessary, including reproducible pages
- section 3 is a monthly calendar like you'd put on the wall
- section 4 is the supplement pages like the student planner (books of the Bible, liturgical year, flags of the world, etc)
- section 5 parallels the weekly pages of the student planner, but instead of two large lines for each day, there are boxes like a standard lesson plan book (going across for each day, place to write each subject atop each column); also the same sidebar info as the student weekly pages but noplace to write your spelling words ;)
- section 6 is more supplement (multiplication table, metric conversions, how to outline, 7 sacraments, etc)

Sorry if that's too much detail! I haven't seen the elementary one, so don't know how it compares, but this (primary TM) is a complete program by itself.

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2008 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Caroline

K&Rs Mom wrote:

Sorry if that's too much detail!

Absolutely not! That was a wonderful, very helpful review. Thank you!

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 23 2008 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Aubrey- Thank you that is very helpful. I will go with the primary teacher planner. Thanks!

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 27 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote DianaC

I ordered the student planner and the teacher planner and received them today. I am so pleased with them!

The student planner is similar in format to the Pflaum planner, the introductory pages with prayers, rosary, liturgical calendar and the weekly 2-page spread are all very similar. However, it also has a US map, a world map, a periodic table of the elements, math symbols, multiplication tables, etc. etc.

The teacher planner contains a plethora of information. I really like the weekly discussions of the Sunday reading along with 3-4 paragraph biographies of each saint being remembered in each week. There is a significant section devoted to the Doctors of the Church - organized chronologically - and there is a special section on a Requiem Mass since All Saints will fall on a weekend this year. Also, there is a section of O Canticles and quite a few image reproducibles and puzzles/activities.

Thanks again for the recommendation - I think that this is one of my best homeschool purchases!
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version