Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Pentecost Cakes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 12 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote LLR4

Since someone started a 'Fruits of the Holy Spirit' thread, it was mentioned about starting a Pentecost Cake thread. So I'm starting it.

I got the idea from this forum in the Pentecost Ideas thread, along with the 12 Fruit Salad. I also saw the info at Catholic Cuisine. So I cannot take credit for any of it - in fact my wonderful husband even made the cake.    (There isn't much he can't do. Lucky me. ) Thank you all for the creative inspirational ideas I have found here!

Basically, the cake should be white, to represent the Holy Spirt. The 12 strawberries around the cake represent the 12 Fruits of the Holy Spirit. The 7 strawberries on top cut like hearts, represent the 7 Gifts of the Holy Spirit. The center big candle is Christ our Light, and the 12 smaller ones around symbolize the 12 apostles. The flames of course, symbolize the tongues of fire, and my kiddos supplied the rushing wind when they blew them out. (I think I got that all right.)

Here's photos of our cake. Please add yours if you have any!!

Back to Top View LLR4's Profile Search for other posts by LLR4 Visit LLR4's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 12 2008 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Wow - it is so beautiful! I love the tongues of fire around the perimeter.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote LLR4

MaryM wrote:
Wow - it is so beautiful! I love the tongues of fire around the perimeter.

Thank you Mary. I'll tell my husband you said so. lol.
The kids did do a nice job making the tongues of fire (labeled with the 7 Gifts of the Holy Spirit) with cardstock.   

Back to Top View LLR4's Profile Search for other posts by LLR4 Visit LLR4's Homepage

LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote LLR4

Did anyone else make a Pentecost Cake?
I thought there would be enough to have at least a small a thread and have good photo references for next year.   

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2008 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Well... I did. But it doesn't look nearly as lovely as yours Laura!! Your gang must have loved it!!

I wrote about ours: The Demise of the Pentecost Cake

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 13 2008 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote LLR4

Maryan wrote:
Well... I did. But it doesn't look nearly as lovely as yours Laura!! Your gang must have loved it!!

I wrote about ours: The Demise of the Pentecost Cake

I just got back from your blog and posted a comment.    Thank you for sharing. I loved your cake picture!   

~Jessica~
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 15 2008 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote ~Jessica~

Laura, your cake turned out BEAUTIFUL!!    I LOVE how you made your hearts out of Strawberries!!

Here is a link to our cake: Pentecost Sunday & Mother's Day!

Or you can see a picture without the candles lit here:
A Cake for Pentecost

Catholic Cuisine
Back to Top View ~Jessica~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Jessica~ Visit ~Jessica~'s Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2008 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

That really is beautiful!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2008 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote LLR4

Thank you Jessica and Maria!
(Jessica - I went to your cake on your blog and posted : ) Which led me to the photo of your mom who does indeed look great with 12 kids! What a HUGE beautiful family ...and you all have blogs?? How fun is that!

~Jessica~
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 15 2008 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote ~Jessica~

LLR4 wrote:
(Jessica - I went to your cake on your blog and posted : ) Which led me to the photo of your mom who does indeed look great with 12 kids! What a HUGE beautiful family ...and you all have blogs?? How fun is that!

Thanks Laura!! It is fun being the oldest of TWELVE!

At this point, I have only been able to talk my twin sisters (who are 16) into blogging! I'm working on a few others as well. It is such a fun way to keep up with everyone!

Catholic Cuisine
Back to Top View ~Jessica~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Jessica~ Visit ~Jessica~'s Homepage

LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2008 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote LLR4

~Jessica~ wrote:
LLR4 wrote:

Thanks Laura!! It is fun being the oldest of TWELVE!

At this point, I have only been able to talk my twin sisters (who are 16) into blogging! I'm working on a few others as well. It is such a fun way to keep up with everyone!

Oh! I misunderstood -- I thought I saw on your sister's blog (w/ the photo of your mom) a list of blogs and thought they were all the siblings. Sorry!

You are blessed to have such a big and (seemingly) close family.

~Jessica~
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 15 2008 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote ~Jessica~

LLR4 wrote:
Oh! I misunderstood -- I thought I saw on your sister's blog (w/ the photo of your mom) a list of blogs and thought they were all the siblings. Sorry!

You are blessed to have such a big and (seemingly) close family.

No problem!! I guess that would be confusing since there are 12 of both: sibling's and her favorite blogs! Yes, she numbered them... I am number 4 on her list (scoff...lol!!) Mary is super sweet though, and if you have a chance you should check out her pro-life poems!

And back to the subject of Pentecost cakes, Jamie at Lord, Make me a Saint made a BEAUTIFUL cake as well.

You can see hers here: Pentecost!

Catholic Cuisine

LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2008 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote LLR4

Jessica--
Jamie's cake is lovely too! Wow! How come no one would post photos here? I typed her a lengthy comment, and it didn't go through..it timed out onme or something.
Anyhoo...off to read yous sister's pro-life poems! I'm crying already.....

~Jessica~
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 15 2008 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote ~Jessica~

LLR4 wrote:
How come no one would post photos here?

Well, I have never posted a picture here before, and I knew how to link to my post!   

Let's see if I can figure it out.

**It took a couple tries, but I figured it out! I had to upload the photo to Photobucket, which I rarely ever do! At least I know how to do it now.

Catholic Cuisine

LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2008 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote LLR4

You did it!! And now you know how.

I read your sister's poem....    So well-expressed, appropriately intense and deeply bothersome, ...I was really moved and certainly in agreement. What a gift she has for writing, at so young of an age too.      One reading that poem really could save the life of an innocent baby.
Thanks for pointing me to it and sharing it.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Beautiful Jessica!!

Laura I've never posted a photo here either!!

But I'll wait to try with a beautiful cake photo instead of the demolition version.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2008 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote joann10

Last years Pentecost cake

My oldest daughter Becky decorated this cake. I think it was just lovely.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2008 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote LLR4

joann10 wrote:
Last years Pentecost cake

My oldest daughter Becky decorated this cake. I think it was just lovely.

OH my GOODNESS!! That cake looks professionally made...and your daughter is 19? That's a gift! I love it! Thanks for sharing!........And tell Becky I'm very impressed!

LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2008 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote LLR4

Maryan wrote:
Beautiful Jessica!!

Laura I've never posted a photo here either!!

But I'll wait to try with a beautiful cake photo instead of the demolition version.

Ok...I can accept that. Although your demolitioned cake did have a 'great photo key element' which was, it told a story, and 'makes one want to know more.'
As a pro photographer, I just love seeing photos. So I'll just gently encourage them around here.
I appreciate the posts too though. You all are great!

theNetSmith
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posted: May 16 2008 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote theNetSmith

Pray and forgive.
-Mother Theresa
Back to Top View theNetSmith's Profile Search for other posts by theNetSmith Visit theNetSmith's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version