Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: FAQs - Liturgical Year Resources (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 11 2008 at 10:34pm | IP Logged  

Can you suggest some books and resources for celebrating the liturgical year?

There are lots of resources for celebrating the liturgical year that have been discussed here. This is a compilation of some of the top picks and threads where you will find more information.

Past threads of interest on this topic
one seasonal feast book?
Favorite BOOK resource for the liturgical yr?
Liturgical Year Book Recommendations
Resources for Celebrating the Liturgical Year
Liturgical yr. resources - help me choose
books on saints/church year - any ideas?
Good list of liturgical year websites
How Do You Plan your Liturgical Year?
Religion in the Home for Elementary (and Preschool)

Liturgical Year Book & Pamphlets that are out of print but can be read online
Around the Year With the Trapp Family (Also in blog form which includes .pdf files of the music.)
My Nameday, Come for Dessert by Helen McLoughlin
Family Advent Customs by Helen McLoughlin
Christmas to Candlemas in a Catholic Home by Helen McLoughlin
Beginning at Home by Mary Perkins (Ryan)
Feast Day Cookbook (Burton & Ripperger)
The Christian Home by Celestine Strub
A Candle is Lighted by P. Stewart Craig
How to Make Your House a Home by Bernward Stokes
Our Children's Year of Grace by Therese Mueller
The Twelve Days of Christmas by Elsa Chaney
True Christmas Spirit by Edward Sutfin

Websites for Liturgical Year Resources
Catholic Culture Liturgical Year
Domestic-Church
Women for Faith and Family
Open Wednesday - Liturgical year through the Sunday readings
Catholic Cuisine - food & recipes
St. Nicholas Center dedicated just to St. Nicholas

-------------------------------------------------------
The liturgical year celebrations and foods have been an interest of member, JennGM's for many years so she is quite familiar with the resources. She gave a talk on Living the Liturgical Year at the first Real Learning Conference, 2007. Here is her talk, with a list of suggested resources.

Here is her Listmania list on Amazon and her top 5 picks with her reviews:

1) Cooking for Christ by Florence Berger from 1949. There is a reprint, but it's edited, and not as wonderful. It's a liturgical cookbook, but it's full of Catholic and liturgical traditions. From my research it's probably one of the first books in America written directly on this liturgical year in the home subject. This was the ground-breaker. I just love reading it over and over again.

2) Around the Year with the Trapp Family by Maria von Trapp. This is OOP, you can read the text here or see most of it online at this blog. I've tried to make .pdf files of the music, which is key. The most value I've found from this book is the chapters on the sacraments, on living Sunday, on living in Ordinary Time, and the music. From other discussions on this board and elsewhere some of it is idealistic--Maria doesn't talk about the "realities" of the interaction of the family and implementing traditions.

3) The Year and Our Children by Mary Reed Newland. This book really gives an idea of "in the family trenches" in bringing these traditions alive. This is part of her "trilogy", the other titles How To Raise Good Catholic Children(originally entitled "We and Our Children"), and The Saints and Our Children.

4) A Continual Feast by Evelyn Vitz. Yes, another liturgical cookbook, but this one is in print and very, very good. It's not just recipes (and most of these are very tasty and realistic) but great explanation of the traditions.

5) Celebrating the Church Year With Young Children by Joan Halmo is one of my newer favorites. I have some reservations as far as the music and other source suggestions, but I really, really agree with her focus on the Liturgical Year seasons, as that echoes the Church's focus. I'm not saying don't celebrate saints days, but they are the "supporting cast" as it were, and Easter is the focus, and the feasts that surround the Paschal mysteries should be in the forefront. She wrote this book after being introduced to Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, so the focus on the liturgical year presented to young children echoes CoGS.

Books that have their own thread with reviews:
Big Book of Catholic Feasts thread
Saints: A Year in Faith and Art thread
The Year and Our Children thread
A Year with God?

Fisheaters.com is a website that is often mentioned in discusions of celebrating the liturgical year. The site does offer a wealth of information on the beautiful traditions of our faith and many celebration ideas. However it is important to read the web with a discerning eye and this site does contain elements that are of concern regarding fidelity to the Church/Magisterium. You can read the review of the site at Catholic Culture for specific concerns to be aware of.
-------------------

Liturgical Calendar Resources

Past Threads:
Important dates for a Calendar?

JennGM wrote:
I was going to give a few sources that I always use to start out my liturgical year planning:

First, liturgical calendar.

ChurchYear.net, which has 2012 Liturgical Calendar. Also has a .pdf version available.

USCCB Liturgical Calendar. This is a good calendar to purchase in .pdf form, because the Mass readings with the Bible references are included.

Women for Faith and Family Liturgical Year Calendar. This one you click by month, gives the color, readings, feast days.

For all around ideas from online sources, I check out:

Catholic Culture
Domestic Church
Women for Faith and Family
Open Wednesday for preparation for Sunday readings. Unfortunately it only goes 2 weeks out at a time.

Food ideas make sure you check out Catholic Cuisine. The blog has now been around for more than a year, so you can find the tags for certain feasts, symbols, or foods and be able to build your plans around that.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 11 2008 at 10:34pm | IP Logged  

What's the difference between solemnities, feasts, memorials, optional memorials and holydays of obligation?

General Norms for the Liturgical Year and Calendar at Catholic Culture

Past threads where this is discussed
Celebrating a Feast the Night Before?
Difference between feast days & memorials

From The Saints In Season by Austin Flannery, O.P., 1976, Liturgical Press. Below is part of Chapter Two, Part 2, The Rationale of Celebration. There were too many feast days, and not enough emphasis on the liturgical cycle. The main emphasis during the year is the unfolding of the mystery of our Redemption through Christ, which is known as the "temporal calendar." We also have the "sanctoral calendar" in which the Church gives us feasts of saints as companions, that we may invoke and emulate these saints during our striving for heaven. In the 1969 reform of the Roman calendar, they simplified the grading celebration. For saints' days there are now solemnity, feast, obligatory memorial and optional memorial. Excuse the long quote, but I think it's very thorough, and explains the differences between the Tridentine classes and N.O. divisions. JennGM's remarks are in brackets [ ].

(a) Solemnities
A solemnity corresponds to the 'first class' of previous terminology [i.e., old calendar]. Over and above the moveable solemnities--the Blessed Trinity, Corpus Christi, the Sacred Heart, Christ the King--there are ten fixed solemnities.

(b) Feasts

A feast corresponds to the 'second class' of previous terminology. Apart from the movable feasts--the Holy Family and the Baptism of Our Lord--there are twenty-three fixed feasts.

(c) Obligatory Memorials

The word 'memorial' comes from the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy: 'The Church has also included in the annual cycle memorial days of the martyrs and other saints.' (art. 104). The Constitution itself took the wood from tradition. The Fathers and liturgical books use it frequently from the time of St. Cyprian. In the year 1915 the word was introduced in the monastic calendar to indicate a lesser class of saints' feast.

While solemnities and feasts, which occur less frequently than memorials, are fully festive days, a memorial is celebrated as the mere calling to mind of a saint on the anniversary of his death. Solemnities and feasts are exceptional days. A memorial, however, is inserted into daily liturgical life: it is a simple evocation of a great servant of God, but it becomes a source of grace because of its association with the celebration of the divine office and eucharistic sacrifice: 'that we may make progress and follow in the footsteps of the believers whose memory we recall by sharing in the sacrament' (Sangal. Sacramentary, 1032).

Memorials are either obligatory or optional. There are sixty-three obligatory memorials [as of this writing, 1969].

Solemnities, feasts, and obligatory memorials constitute that group of days which, in accordance with the prescription of the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, 'commemorate saints which are truly of universal importance' (art. 111).

(d) Optional Memorials

There are 95 optional memorials [as of 1973]. Since a celebrant is permitted, outside of Advent and Lent, to celebrate, in a festive way, the Mass of any saint whose name is mentioned in the Martyrology on that day...it may be asked what is the point of optional memorials. It can certainly be answered that their importance is not to be underestimated. Optional and obligatory memorials offer to the faithful's veneration some from among the multitude of saints who are proposed as examples. They added to the life of the Church and found favor with the people before others, even if this admiration sometimes arose from extrinsic factors or from what was written about them. Not a few of the optional memorials were introduced into the calendar in order to make it clear that sanctity is not confined to certain times and places. This shows the didactic and pastoral aspect of this calendar.

Optional memorials offer the chance of celebrating a a saint's day in the divine office as well as at Mass. Every memorial in the calendar is assigned a special prayer in the missal and a hagiographical reading in the breviary.

To avoid the permanent omission of the celebration of certain popular saints--such as St. Frances of Rome, St. Patrick, St. Silvester, whose days occur during Lent, permission is granted for the celebration of optional memorials even in those seasons.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 11 2008 at 10:35pm | IP Logged  

Where can I find a Liturgical calendar/poster for the home? How can I make one?

Michele Quigley's Printable Liturgical Calendar online

Liturgical Training Publications carries one but we are not linking directly to the product since the link changes every year.

Good News Planner has a Catholic edition which includes liturgical year feast and info.

Church of St. Paul Family Formation has a liturgical calendar that can be colored or already colored and laminated.

Pflaum also has a laminated poster.

Past threads where this is discussed
Liturgical wheel for young children
Liturgical Year Poster
Liturgical Calendar Wheel
Liturgical Calendar
Liturgical Calendar Wheel
Good News Planner

CHC A Year with God has instructions to make your own.

Templates from MicheleQ using RoundCal Software

Our Domestic Church

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This topic is closed.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version