Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Liturgical Season/Feast Centerpiece Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 05 2008 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I saw this idea for a seasonal centerpiece in a Paula Deen magazine this Christmas - she had a wintery scene with fake snow, small figures and trees. I thought it would be fun to utilize it for different feast days and seasons during the litugical year. It took me awhile to find a smaller domed platter like she had used (instead of a big cake one). Anyway, the Ascension was the first time we decorated it. So here is our Ascension Day Scene:

For Pentecost I think I'm going to fill it with tissue paper or cellophane flames and suspend a fake white dove from the top.

What ideas would you have for future feasts? I'm trying to keep a running list so I can make sure to have supplies and figures on hand.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I love it Mary!! No other ideas right now!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

It looks awesome, Mary!

How about Our Lady of Fatima with some vines representing the bush climbing up the leg of the stand with the three children where the Apostles are now.

A golden cloud with twining rosebushes for Our Lady of Lourdes, maybe darken the back of the dome to represent the grotto.

Our Lady, Mediatrix of All Grace from the Phillipines was also on a cloud. Sprinkling rose petals underneath the dish would be appropriate and oh so pretty!

The Feast of the Apparition of Saint Michael is coming up on May 8th, I'm trying to think of a cool way to commemerate that.

The Ice Saints are coming up on May 11, 12, and 13. St. Mamertus, St. Pancras, and St. Servatus in German, Austrian, and Swiss folklore, are so named because their feast days fall during a period noted to bring a brief spell of colder weather in the Northern Hemisphere. (Weather Lore at Wikipedia) Filling the dome with clear icy marbles or cubes and an image of the saint might look "cool"!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

This is wonderful! My head is spinning with ideas for the whole church year! Thanks for sharing Mary.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Oh yes, my head is spinning too! Thank you Mary for the inspiration.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

Oh I absolutely love this!!! We are doing a Mary Fair with our homeschool group and we may use this idea for Our Lady of Fatima!

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 07 2008 at 3:19am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Thank you, ladies. Jennifer, great ideas! What I like about this is that there are so many possibilities.

In case anyone is interested this is the type of domed platter that I got. It was hard to find something smaller than a true cake platter (which could work but would be much more space to fill). I found it at Tuesday Morning. If you didn't want the pedestal , you could use other domed displays - like cheese domes or those for hobbies/collectibles.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 07 2008 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

Wow! Some of those are mighty pricey. I might just have to ask around with relatives and see who might be willing let go of one. I've never really seen them used for their original purposes.

Wonderful idea. I think Bernadette would get a kick out of this. Where did you find that Jesus figurine? Did you make it?
Back to Top View domchurch3's Profile Search for other posts by domchurch3

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 07 2008 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mary,
This is such a wonderful idea!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I'm going to add it to my watch list for the thrift store!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 07 2008 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I just love this idea, Mary. I tend to like to keep my decorations out for longer, and not change things so frequently, so I was thinking if I find a dome I'd use it for the liturgical and seasonal displays, or Life of Christ progression through the year. And how about combining a bit of the season's nature in the dome, too?

I was also thinking that since this is a year dedicated to St. Paul maybe work in a few displays throughout the year depicting his life, or at least for the feast day coming up on June 29. I keep visioning the Playmobil characters, using them for a figure of St. Paul thrown off his horse, a cloak on the ground (stoning of St. Stephen) and a sword (for his martyrdom). Perhaps a feather pen and scroll, or a small open book to place the scene.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

OOOH, I love the St. Paul idea! How about him sitting on the rooftop with Ananias or in a pile of broken apart legos with other prisoners, or in a shipwreck scene?
Or him preaching with Timothy or Barnabus, meeting with Peter?
So, so fun......!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2008 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

This is neat. So much could be done within a small glass dome.

I even think I have two cheese domes which would be perfect since I have two little girls to please.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 08 2008 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

domchurch3 wrote:
Wow! Some of those are mighty pricey.

Where did you find that Jesus figurine? Did you make it?

Yes, in that link some were pretty spendy. I just linked there because it was what I found on-line with a quick search. I have seen them at local hobby shops and I don't think they are nearly that much. Especially with a 40% off coupon!

The Jesus figure was made out of Sculpey clay by my 12 yo daughter. We had to make one since we didn't have a mini Risen Christ statue - I have seen them though. I'm starting to stock up on mini statues of different saints to use them in the centerpiece in the future.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I've had this thread in the back of my mind. I haven't been able to find a tall dome like Mary's, but I landed a nice cheese dome at Goodwill and can't wait to use it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2010 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

JennGM wrote:
I've had this thread in the back of my mind. I haven't been able to find a tall dome like Mary's, but I landed a nice cheese dome at Goodwill and can't wait to use it.

Jenn, you can glue it to a candlestick for a raised effect. Like this:

http://www.themotherhuddle.com/repurposing-candlestick-holde rs/

http://www.patchworkposse.com/blog/2010/08/candlestick-cake- stand-tutorial/

http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-make- homemade-cake-stand.html

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version