Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: dinosaurs and creation - HELP! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teamgriswold
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote teamgriswold

Hi! I'm looking for an answer for my 7 yr old son from all of you wise and wonderful women! Yesterday, as we were discussing Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden, he asked when God created the dinosaurs. Who came first, Adam and Eve or the dinos? I of course told him Adam and Eve, to which he responded "but there weren't any people around when the dinos roamed the earth"......when did he stop accepting all of my answers as gospel truth and start thinking on his own???
   So I told him those were wonderful questions and to ask daddy when he got home. Daddy didn't have an answer either and suggested I ask ya'll Any suggestions?

X-Hail
Back to Top View teamgriswold's Profile Search for other posts by teamgriswold

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I don't have my direct references right here, but a few thoughts.

Quote:
Who came first, Adam and Eve or the dinos?

Actually, if you follow the days of creation, animals came before Adam and Eve. Man was created last to take care of the animal and plant kingdom.

There are different interpretations of creation. I'm not a literalist...the 6 days of creation weren't necessarily 24 hour days. One interpretation is that each "Day" could have been years and years...like the millions scientists talk about our earth being so old. Dinosaurs could have existed and even died out before Adam and Eve were created. Or SOME of the breed of dinosaurs could have died out or evolved into the smaller ones before Adam and Eve.

But there is proof in fossils that both man and dinosaurs roamed the earth at the same time...a fossil with a man's footprint next to a dinosaur's footprint...both dated from the same time. I don't know which type of dinosaur.

To take this theory a little farther, when it came time for Noah to fill his ark, dinosaurs weren't on the list. So when the waters covered the earth, the dinosaurs were killed.

But most of this is speculation...trying to put pieces together. We believe in the story of creation and that Animals came before Adam. We've seen fossils, know there was a Great Flood, and now there are no dinosaurs.

But I like to quote from a movie The Inn of the Sixth Happiness: "No one knows for sure."

That's one of the mysteries we'll find out when we die.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Here's a link...

Creation Museum

Lots of food for thought here.

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

amiefriedl wrote:
Here's a link...

Creation Museum

You should be aware that Answers in Genesis is looking at creationism from a purely Protestant perspective. The Catholic Church does not view Genesis as a science text and an old-earth, or even evolutionary (obviously not atheistic evolutionary!) perspective is entirely consistent with our Faith. The book Creator and Creation from Ye Hedgeschool gives a thorough introduction to creationism from a Catholic perspective. You can also find a link on the same page to a book review containing a lot of information about the Church's teaching on creation.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

What Kathryn said...

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Kathryn UK wrote:
amiefriedl wrote:
Here's a link...

Creation Museum

You should be aware that Answers in Genesis is looking at creationism from a purely Protestant perspective. The Catholic Church does not view Genesis as a science text and an old-earth, or even evolutionary (obviously not atheistic evolutionary!) perspective is entirely consistent with our Faith. The book Creator and Creation from Ye Hedgeschool gives a thorough introduction to creationism from a Catholic perspective. You can also find a link on the same page to a book review containing a lot of information about the Church's teaching on creation.

Sorry about that! I knew about the protestant perspective thing and with the baby sqirming I didn't have time to mention it. Thanks! I should wait til midnight to do my posts!

Oh, and thanks for the other link...I didn't know about that one.

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 01 2005 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote almamater

I have to say that I disagree with the ideas put forth here...but I don't have time for a big discussion on the subject. The scientific evidence for creation is overwhelming, though I am sorry that it is only the protestants who seem to be doing the research. All studies of math and science should and do ultimately solidify and increase our faith.

I worry when we try to water down the creation story by saying that each day was actually thousands or millions of years long. First of all, this diminishes the greatness of the miracle of creation. I mean, of course God could create the earth in six days, but He could also create in an instant if He wished. There is significance to the six days of work and one day of rest.

Secondly, if we believe that God inspired the writer of Genensis, then why have we to doubt the accuracy of the story? He could have and would have stated that..."In the second thousand years, God made a firmament and called it Heaven. Then, in the the third thousand years, God said..."

This kind of breaking down of Truth can have a trickle affect. I have heard some suggest that the parting of the Red Sea was due to some naturally occuring annual weather pattern that Moses anticipated. And, of course, we all know that lots of people including Catholic priests, believe that there is no Real Presence.

I am aware that the previous Pope promoted a compromise belief now called popularly called intelligent design, but he did not make it dogmatic. Of course, God made the rules of nature and nature follows these rules, but that does not conflict with the fact that God has told us that He created the earth in six days. I do not like getting into the business of telling my children that selective parts of scripture do not mean what they say. Please do not mistake that for any kind of sola scriptura theology; nonetheless, our traditions and divine revelations must always be compatible with scripture, not contradictory.

I guess, in the end, why not accept creationism? What are the roots of "intelligent design?" I believe the roots are in those who can't fully explain the atheistic version of evolution and who can't accept that we are all here due to a divinely creative and miraculously gift!

Soulful Learning
Back to Top View almamater's Profile Search for other posts by almamater

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2005 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

teamgriswold wrote:
Hi! I'm looking for an answer for my 7 yr old son from all of you wise and wonderful women! Yesterday, as we were discussing Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden, he asked when God created the dinosaurs. Who came first, Adam and Eve or the dinos?

Well, Thanks to Jennifer's post I shall now be brave and come out of the closet

What do I tell my children in answer to this question? I explain that the animals were all created first and then Adam and Eve. I tell them that dinosaurs and man co-existed together (same time) and show them pictures of foot prints that are evidence of man and dinosaurs passing by the same spot in a matter of a short time span of one another. We have books courtesy of 'Creation Science Foundation' in our home- excellent resources.

Then of course the children's next question is 'where are they today?'. This leds to a discussion of The Great Flood, and how after the Flood there was a Great Ice Age and how this led to the extinction of dinosuars.

My children know about evolution, I tell them that both views are theory's. But of course as we hold to a Creationists view point our view comes from that angle.

Incidently my brother no longer practises his Faith, but he holds firmly to a belief in God because he VERY strongly believes in Creationism. He drove his live-in girlfriend batty waxing lyrical about the beauty of God's creation. All is not lost there.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version