Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: It's Cinco deMayo! What's for dinner? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 05 2008 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

We're meeting a friend at a German restaurant to celebrate after dh defends his dissertation. Oops! There is a Mexican place next door so maybe we can vicariously celebrate without having to eat the subpar food (we love Mexican in general, by the way, just not that particular restaurant!).

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 05 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh, there was a day when we did this fiesta up big. I love Mexican food. Back when my oldest boys were little we used to host a Cinco de Mayo potluck with friends. It was so much fun. We haven't done it in years and of course the day has snuck up on us. We had chicken enchiladas last night (chicken for a bird - Ascension) - should have saved it for tonight.

We might go with our recent standby - If the Colorado Rockies score 7 runs in a game the next evening they sell tacos 4/$1. We've had that recently more than I care to admit - and wouldn't you know - they beat LA yesterday 7-2. We may just have to make a TB run.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

For those of you still catching up from the weekend (like me!) how about easy sopapillas and a paper bag pinata. That is about the speed I am moving at today!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Oh, I love sopapillas...I think we are going to have tortilla soup, but I'm not up for rolling homemad tortillas today as I have been every week. I didn't sleep well and my energy is fading fast. Margaritas, now that I could do. We will say the rosary for our friends in Mexico, missionaries as well as the friends we've made on our trips there, as well as for the finances to work out for our planned trip this summer.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 05 2008 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
How to have some options that aren't teeth ruining candy. Ds has enough of it. Packages of raisins (although the dentist says those are bad for teeth, too. )? Granola bars, fruit leather...
We have done pennies and cheap plastic toys. Fake coins work, too (as real money can he heavy ). Small baggies of popcorn. I really don't think they care that much what's in it - just fun to have stuff pour out and go crazy trying to collect.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

I am making my honey's favorite chicken enchiladas along with Pioneer Woman's Mexican-ish Mac and Cheese. (Pioneer Woman can be a bit racy at times--just a caution--but her food is oh so good) The grownups are also having margaritas on the rocks.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Fish Tacos, probably.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 05 2008 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

We're making homemade refried beans, homemade tomatilla salsa, and homemade corn tortillas. Well...I fudged a little...my *dd* is making all of the above .

MacBeth wrote:
Mary Chris wrote:

I just buy frozen margarita mix and skip the tequila. I serve it in our pretty magarita classes and add some salt to the rim. Lemonade slushies work too!

My kids love Margarita slushies...and I get the tequila.

Now why didn't I think of this? Thank you, ladies!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2008 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Well, not really authentic, but I made this.

I double everything but the corn (and I just use plain corn), which makes 8-10 servings (enough for leftovers for our family!).

Thanks for this thread--I forgot about Cinco de Mayo and would probably have made something a lot harder for dinner!

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2008 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Oh MacBeth and Molly, at least you REMEMBERED!

We had tacos, but it was because we got home too late to have the beef I slow cooked to shredded tenderness yesterday! That's what I call a lucky mistake.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 07 2008 at 12:31am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I missed this yesterday, but have to share that I was so excited about our Cinco de Mayo dinner! My mother-in-law has been visiting from AZ. She makes dh's favorite meal - enchiladas - with enchilada sauce from scratch. I have felt like a second rate wife using enchilada sauce from a can all these years.   

Finally yesterday, I made enchilada sauce from scratch with directions from my m-i-l, whose knees are too weak these days for her to stand in the kitchen. It was interesting following her directions from across the room and bringing her spoonfuls of the sauce to taste as we went along.

The chicken enchildas (made with flour tortillas, which we prefer) turned out delicious!!!

Oh, and dh made yummy strawberry Margaritas too.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 07 2008 at 1:43am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

teachingmom wrote:
Finally yesterday, I made enchilada sauce from scratch with directions from my m-i-l, whose knees are too weak these days for her to stand in the kitchen. It was interesting following her directions from across the room and bringing her spoonfuls of the sauce to taste as we went along.

The chicken enchildas (made with flour tortillas, which we prefer) turned out delicious!!!

Way to go! So now can you share the recipe? Or will you need to sit in my kitchen and try the sauce - one of those kind of recipes? Great story.

Our Domestic Church

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2008 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

We did pull together some quesadillas, but I wanted to share our dessert! It's a variation of a Rachel Ray recipe. Cut flour tortillas into wedges, put on baking sheet, brush all over with melted butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake at 400 for 5-7 minutes until crispy. Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. Oh my goodness, it was sooooo good!

Here is Rachel Ray's recipe, which sounds terrific, but I was determined to just use what I had on hand and stay out of the grocery!!

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 09 2008 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

MaryM wrote:
So now can you share the recipe?

Sure! This is from the notes I took for the enchilada sauce:

Enchilada Sauce

Heat 8 cups of water on the stove in a big pot. Add 8 teaspoons powdered chicken bouillon and stir to dissolve. Take some of the liquid and put it in the blender. Add 5 Tablespoons chili powder and 1/3 cup of flour. (You can substitute cornstarch for the flour for a gluten free sauce.) Blend for a few seconds. Add that back to the big pot and heat until reduced a bit. (About 20 minutes or so.)

This makes enough sauce for 24 flour tortillas. Half of the recipe will work for a dozen enchiladas.

It's important to use good chili powder. I went to two different international food stores looking for the kind my m-i-l wanted in the small cellophane packets.

You do not have to do the blender step, but my m-i-l says it really keeps the flour from lumping up. (She does this for gravies too.) That amount of flour did not really make the sauce thicken up, like I thought it would. I might try a bit more next time. But the canned enchilada sauce is pretty thin too.

To make the enchiladas, I just put enchilada sauce in a deep plate and dip a tortilla into the sauce, covering both sides thoroughly. Then I put grated cheese, onions, and cooked chicken (optional) in the middle of each tortilla and roll it up. I cannot handle chopping onions because of ultra sensitive eyes. I buy chopped onions in the frozen vegetable section of the grocery store and they work great. I pour any extra sauce over all the rolled up tortillas in the pan and cover with more grated cheese and bake (uncovered) at 375 for about 30-40 minutes.

My m-i-l seemed very shocked that I was using flour tortillas. In order to consider them genuine enchiladas, you need to use corn tortillas. I told her that the only way I could make corn tortillas roll up without breaking, was to fry them in oil, so using flour tortillas without frying seemed healthier. She told me a trick to using corn tortillas, without frying them. If you put them in a hot oven for just a short time (less than a minute) or even microwave them for a few seconds, they become soft enough to roll up without falling apart. I might try that in the future, but all of us in my family really prefer the taste of the flour tortillas.

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2008 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

teachingmom wrote:
She told me a trick to using corn tortillas, without frying them. If you put them in a hot oven for just a short time (less than a minute) or even microwave them for a few seconds, they become soft enough to roll up without falling apart. I might try that in the future, but all of us in my family really prefer the taste of the flour tortillas.

I found a recipe at Taste of Home, that I've used several times successfully, where you warm the enchilada sauce in a small frying pan and let the corn tortilla soak in it for a minute or so. I transfer one tortilla to a plate and stick another one in the pan while I'm filling the first, and so on until they're finished. I love corn tortillas, but have never had success with microwaving them.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 13 2008 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Molly Smith wrote:
teachingmom wrote:
She told me a trick to using corn tortillas, without frying them. If you put them in a hot oven for just a short time (less than a minute) or even microwave them for a few seconds, they become soft enough to roll up without falling apart. I might try that in the future, but all of us in my family really prefer the taste of the flour tortillas.

I found a recipe at Taste of Home, that I've used several times successfully, where you warm the enchilada sauce in a small frying pan and let the corn tortilla soak in it for a minute or so. I transfer one tortilla to a plate and stick another one in the pan while I'm filling the first, and so on until they're finished. I love corn tortillas, but have never had success with microwaving them.

I don't think I've ever had enchiladas, but it sure sounds good. Do they have to have cheese?

Cook's Illustrated (or was it Consumer Reports ) recently rated corn tortillas. I need to find that issue, but Trader Joes was their best rated.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 13 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Molly Smith wrote:
where you warm the enchilada sauce in a small frying pan and let the corn tortilla soak in it for a minute or so.

Yes, this is the way I've always done it - I think it's pretty much the standard way.

Our Domestic Church

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2008 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

I probably shouldn't admit this in front of all the gourmet chefs around here, but the only enchiladas I've ever made are made in a slow cooker and use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving.

It's based on a recipe found in Six Ingredients or Less Slow Cooker. I usually triple or quadruple it.

2 cups cubed, cooked chicken (or in our case turkey)
3 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
6 flour tortillas

The chicken and cheese mixture goes into each tortilla. Place seam side down in a sprayed/oiled slow cooker. Pour the soup mixture over the top covering completely. Sprinkle any remaining chicken mixture over the top. Cook on high about 2 hours. Makes 4 servings.

Being one who can't leave recipes alone, I experiment with seasonings, enchilada sauce instead of soup, etc. But you get the general idea.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 13 2008 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

MaryM wrote:
Molly Smith wrote:
where you warm the enchilada sauce in a small frying pan and let the corn tortilla soak in it for a minute or so.

Yes, this is the way I've always done it - I think it's pretty much the standard way.

That sounds great. Thanks for the tip!

JennGM wrote:
I don't think I've ever had enchiladas, but it sure sounds good. Do they have to have cheese?

Unfortunately, that's the only way I've ever seen them. And the cheese adds a lot of the moisture, so making them with just the tortillas and sauce and meat might end up rather dry. Anyone tried this?

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2008 at 2:37am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Yeah, I don't see how you could completely leave out the cheese, but here is a recipe for White Bean Enchiladas that I've made quite a few times. It calls for very little cheese, so you could try leaving it out altogether and see what happens. Can you do sour cream? If so, I'd add extra sour cream to make the beans more creamy since there won't be cheese holding everything together.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version