Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Atrium Question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 21 2005 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Now I'm not sure if I should call this a Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Question or just an Atrium question. I'm a little unsure of how to word this. Two of my sisters are just finishing up CoGS training. I've been reading Sofia Cavelleti's books, but of course, that doesn't make me an expert. My sisters also send their children to Montessori schools.

I met with one sister, and asked a few questions. Following the thread on the Feast of St. Therese and a Fatima Lapbook, I started wondering about the idea of sacrifice at a young age. My sister said it's not presented, because they don't understand it so young. But to me, when one is learning about LOVE, God being love...Love is sacrifice. It's a daily part of life, and Jesus is the perfect example. St. Therese and the children at Fatima grasped this quite easily.

Now I'm not understanding why you couldn't introduce this concept to a child...why say "They can't understand it" instead of challenging them to a higher level? It seems to me if you repeat a phrase or idea to the child they will eventually grasp it. I'm not expecting ds of 2 years to pull out the sacrifice beads, but to start accepting that we don't always get our way, that there is goodness in "offering things up"....

I hope someone can help me understand this....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2005 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Jenn,

I would agree with you. My ds is only five, but we have been telling him to offer up his complaints/irritations.
Yesterday at the park, he was thirsty so naturally he began to whine and complain. I told him to offer it up and go clean up his friends' toys.
Maybe it isn't correct to do this at such a young age?? I don't know, but I remember telling me to offer things up and it made an impression. It is not easy to do so I think starting at a young age helps form a habit for life.

Just my 2 cents...

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 27 2005 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I think the most important thing I took from Montessori training (not CGS training, but Montessori classroom training) was the importance of observing the child. If we really know our children, we can be very effective teachers of them. Jenn, if you think your ds will "get it" and "it" is something you want him to "get," then you can introduce it to him. You know him best. And you are the best designer of his curriculum.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version