Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: weak areas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2008 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

What subjects are your weak areas for planning and/or follow through? Mine are science and geography. I just can not find anything that I like. We love science topics but I can't find a good pre-made curriculum (because I don't feel like I have time) to meet our needs. So we just plug along. I really feel my children are fine in the science area because we watch science videos and do nature study but all of my children (and myself included) are rather terrible at geography. So, what are your struggles?

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Lisa,

So glad to see you on BTW!      What do you mean by science videos? Just curious, we were in a Christian bookstore the other day, and they had some Science videos; Moody, and Answers in Genesis...   I don't have a framework to know if they are good, reputable or not. Science videos for us have been nature programs on Satellite that dh and I watch with them... Or things like Zaboomafoo.

To answer your question, I get lazy in the read aloud department. I know that it should be fun, and I seriously love to read. But my littles have a hard time being quiet, and I have a hard time not getting a headache from reading over their noise!

I actually have to schedule this into my day or I will skip it. So in future here, I think I need a better plan. Now just to think of some ideas....

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Lately for me my weak area has been read-alouds also. Which is strange because it used to be a very strong area. Lately I just don't seem to have the energy for it, odd as that sounds. To me it takes more mental energy to sit down and read aloud than to do science experiments or nature study or art projects or just about anything else. I do hope I snap out of it eventually because I KNOW the great value of it.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2008 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Rebecca,

We watch Bill Nye videos to go along with our science topics and they seem to retain a lot so I am not as worried about science as I am the geography.

I know what you mean about reading aloud with lots of littles. It can be frustrating.

BTW, I am glad to be back after my lenten hiatus. Congrats on your little one, Rebecca. He is precious.

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2008 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Wow, I am so relieved to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with read-alouds! Once my kids settle in, they seem to enjoy it too. I think I have a hard time with it due to the expectations I make on myself. I keep feeling like I must work so hard to get my oldest to interact with the story - he is SO language delayed. But, and I'm realizing this as I type, I need to keep in mind how much he retains from our read-alouds, even if he still struggles with narrations. Man, he's always acting out scenes from stories we read!

Thanks for asking this, Lisa! It's really helped me out!

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

pixilated_momma
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 29 2008 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote pixilated_momma

LLMom wrote:
What subjects are your weak areas for planning and/or follow through?

Math. Hands-down, it's math. Everything else? I love, love, love. Math is my lifelong nemesis. The numbers get all scattered and flipped around in my mind. And then I have to teach it? Fortunately, my kids are little, so I'm not going to panic until, like, they are in sixth grade.

But I find it very difficult to make it consistently interesting for my daughter, who struggles with it. She's a very bright kid, but that math is also her nemesis. My boy? Loves it. He actually daydreams about numbers then shares his thoughts about it.

I've struggled with finding the right math curriculum and now just use MCP for our spine and then do math games and what-not. When we do math? We're awesome! We play cool games and have fun. But it's just that I don't feel like doing it every day and get lazy. Bad, bad mommy.

As far as science goes? My input? You don't need a set curriculum. Have fun with what you're doing. We use library books and videos to get ideas across. Bill Nye, Zaboomafoo (they are for the littles, really), Jeff Corwin, are all awesome.

Back to Top View pixilated_momma's Profile Search for other posts by pixilated_momma Visit pixilated_momma's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

pixilated_momma wrote:

As far as science goes? My input? You don't need a set curriculum. Have fun with what you're doing. We use library books and videos to get ideas across. Bill Nye, Zaboomafoo (they are for the littles, really), Jeff Corwin, are all awesome.

I agree. That and nature study. Nothing like getting out there and seeing it all first hand.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2008 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I just don't seem to do it if I don't plan it. Big time motivation problem here.   

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

My biggest problem areas are science, geography and literature discussion. I read lots and so do my children but getting discussion going was like pulling teeth. I also knew some of mine were missing some of the subtleties - or didn't appreciate some of the literary techniques like they should - or poetry.

I found Hillside which is helping tremendously in the lit discussion. CHC poetry quotes has been a good, simple starting point for memory work on poetry or poetry like sayings - and read aloud poems are always easy to find so we are moving forward here.

For science and geography, those were my Montessori focuses. I figure that having some basic information/background/vocabulary in elementary would go a long way in our science. My background knowledge is way to poor to even think of planning a science curriculum. For my highschooler, I just had to bite the bullet, read her entire science book and write out detailed plans complete with study guides. I bogged through Prentice Hall Physical Science and Biolgy this year and am saving that work for the rest of the kiddos (though some of it probably won't be how my science fan does things). But for all the elementary and middle schoolers, we are using 3 part cards and simple keys. (It sure helped that our therapist who comes used to teach science and does a science unit periodically for all the kids).

We are always outside, but for me that doesn't turn naturally to science because I don't know how to identify leaf type; I just learned igneous from metamorphic, and in general don't know the first thing about science, etc.   With science it isn't like I even knew where to start other than read alouds. The Montessori on line group with free 3 part cards was my science this year - along with Lapazfarms freebies. There were some great things. That coupled with a science teacher that did simple presentations on basic things (rocks, leafs, etc.)and we have suddenly become reasonably literate around here.

The same Montessori freebie source (for science I also printed everything that Lapazfarm made available) had a bunch of animal cards by continent, flags by continent, even musical instruments and a wonderful set of cards with a pictures of various geographic features, and definitions and a master. All I had to do was print and laminate and whoolah, I have the best geography program going that we've ever had. These all work with the Montessori maps we ordered. My maps were not without faults (warped very badly and I was a bit disappointed in the representation of Canada - wasn't quite so accurate on the N. American continent) but it is giving us the basic idea of learning country names and locations, geographical features, etc. We have most of the states, state flags, state mottos, birds, seals, etc. in card form from the same Montessori freebie site. Then when we have something going there, the Montessori Lori command and research cards are super. The best part, it requires some intense thought and craft work over the summer, but not tons of planning!!! We are making progress and don't feel bogged down. I'm loving this stuff. All my children from the 8 yo up benefit. My 5 yo doesn't read so most of the card stuff is not interesting him yet - but he joins in with his penny, piece of glass and magnifying glass when everyone tries to identify rocks and his brothers generally help him out so he is benefitting from the fall out method.

I still have my master/control maps to make and I want to put one of my laminated maps on a corkboard for a pin map - but we are making progress and we are all excited about science and geography when these used to be the subjects we could avoid forever until high school bit us.

Better go get back to actually helping with school around here but just had to post on this one. We have never, ever in the past felt good about our science - and honestly knew we were not doing hot on geography either. This has been a wonderful change for us! If you want to see how bad it was - just hunt my bleary, teary desperate pleas for science help back last summer.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

ALmom wrote:

For science and geography, those were my Montessori focuses. I figure that having some basic information/background/vocabulary in elementary would go a long way in our science. My background knowledge is way to poor to even think of planning a science curriculum. For my highschooler, I just had to bite the bullet, read her entire science book and write out detailed plans complete with study guides. I bogged through Prentice Hall Physical Science and Biolgy this year and am saving that work for the rest of the kiddos (though some of it probably won't be how my science fan does things). But for all the elementary and middle schoolers, we are using 3 part cards and simple keys. (It sure helped that our therapist who comes used to teach science and does a science unit periodically for all the kids).

We are always outside, but for me that doesn't turn naturally to science because I don't know how to identify leaf type; I just learned igneous from metamorphic, and in general don't know the first thing about science, etc.   With science it isn't like I even knew where to start other than read alouds. The Montessori on line group with free 3 part cards was my science this year - along with Lapazfarms freebies. There were some great things. That coupled with a science teacher that did simple presentations on basic things (rocks, leafs, etc.)and we have suddenly become reasonably literate around here.

The same Montessori freebie source (for science I also printed everything that Lapazfarm made available) had a bunch of animal cards by continent, flags by continent, even musical instruments and a wonderful set of cards with a pictures of various geographic features, and definitions and a master. All I had to do was print and laminate and whoolah, I have the best geography program going that we've ever had. These all work with the Montessori maps we ordered. My maps were not without faults (warped very badly and I was a bit disappointed in the representation of Canada - wasn't quite so accurate on the N. American continent) but it is giving us the basic idea of learning country names and locations, geographical features, etc. We have most of the states, state flags, state mottos, birds, seals, etc. in card form from the same Montessori freebie site. Then when we have something going there, the Montessori Lori command and research cards are super. The best part, it requires some intense thought and craft work over the summer, but not tons of planning!!! We are making progress and don't feel bogged down. I'm loving this stuff. All my children from the 8 yo up benefit. My 5 yo doesn't read so most of the card stuff is not interesting him yet - but he joins in with his penny, piece of glass and magnifying glass when everyone tries to identify rocks and his brothers generally help him out so he is benefitting from the fall out method.

Janet

Janet,

Can you point me to the Montessori site you are referring to for free materials. I know about Theresa's blog but I am especially interested in the Lori material command and research cards.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

This year, my weak areas have been a) read alouds ( we read a lot and share reaing but I am doing next to nothing wrt reading aloud) and b) any formal work, in general ( we have done a few days here and there of Latin, Maths, etc but mostly we go back to just being busy, without any formal work).

I think I have homeschooled for so long that formal work isn't interesting me. But life and spending time near and with the kids, is.

I hate letting my emotions run our school - if I plan to unschool, well, good, but to unschool by default seems to be my weakness right now.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Leonie wrote:

I hate letting my emotions run our school - if I plan to unschool, well, good, but to unschool by default seems to be my weakness right now.

OUCH!!! Oh, boy did you hit the nail on the head there, Leonie! I would like to say that all of our unschooling times have been conscious decisions. Some of it has been. But in all honesty, there have been times when I just wasn't "into it" if you know what I mean, and unschooling was my fallback mode. That is SO not what I want for our school, or for my children. If we unschool, it's got to be because I am feeling GOOD about what is going on, not because I am feeling bad about it.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

The freebie site was montessorimaterials.org

The other site I mentioned had lots of command card type things, etc. but it is commercial so there is a price for these, though very, very reasonable. This site is montessoriforeveryone.com.

I just needed the elementary stuff so I could learn it - the stuff designed for preschoolers was right up my alley. I have a whole parts of a flower card thing and actually learned about stamens and pistils and such. Now you know why I was always so baffled when everyone said nature walks and.... That assumes a basic, elementary knowledge of science to guide - but I didn't even have that and trying to plan on getting it in order to teach it to kids just didn't work here. My dc would be way handicapped long before I figured it out. Montessori to the rescue for me. I can learn it at my pace and still have the materials available for my children. They are now teaching me! Yipee!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

lapazfarm wrote:
If we unschool, it's got to be because I am feeling GOOD about what is going on, not because I am feeling bad about it.

I am an unschooler at heart and I agree with you 100%. When I unschool by choice I am connected and learning flows. When I unschool simply because I am tired or busy then I feel I set a bad example to the kids. That it is okay to shirk duties because of how one feels.

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2008 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

When it comes to geography, we keep a U.S. map and a world map on the walls at all times for easy reference. It's amazing how much geography comes up. For instance, we spent about a half hour tracing Obama's life across the maps. A friend recently sent us several hundred digital pictures from his trip to Europe, and he happens to live in Las Vegas. So we've discussed the path he takes to get "back home" to Kentucky and his journey from Paris to Rome. We also have a U.S. map puzzle that my daughter enjoys doing. She also associates certain states with other things (i.e. the Brady Bunch lives in California; Disney World is in Florida; our family and friends live in Kentucky; the Brewers play in Wisconsin).

I really enjoyed Kenneth C. Davis' book "Don't Know Much about Geography" and thought I might use that as a textbook of sorts sometime around middle school age. I also love his "Don't Know Much about U.S. History". I actually love all of his "Don't Know Much..." books.

We've kind of been unschooling by default lately, too. I don't sweat it too much, though, since my oldest wouldn't officially start kindergarten until this coming fall. My expectations at this age are pretty small (20 minutes of work tops), but we're not even doing that regularly. I will eventually have to get my act together and get into a schooling routine.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Isa in Michigan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 01 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Isa in Michigan

Science does not get done very much. I have found a site the kids like that has well made short videos on different science topics and experiments:

http://www.krampf.com/experiment_vid.html

A free geography game online that the kids have really enjoyed and learned a lot from is Seterra. I highly recommend it:

www.wartoft.nu/software/seterra

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 01 2008 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

LLMom wrote:
   Mine are science and geography. I just can not find anything that I like.   

Mine too, and like Theresa I have having trouble actually doing read alouds and yet that's all we used to do.

ALMom wrote:

I found Hillside which is helping tremendously in the lit discussion.

Well we haven't even begun lit. study Is this really true Janet? I am reluctant to spend more money for something I won't use.

Leonie wrote:

I think I have homeschooled for so long that formal work isn't interesting me.

I so know what you mean for so long I haven't really got passionate about anything.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

BlessedMommy
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 02 2008 at 1:03am | IP Logged Quote BlessedMommy

struggles- language arts! I get nervous everytime I have to teach it, I dodge it, but it's wrong of me to bcz I don't want to hold my DC because of my struggles.

As far as geography, maybe you could incorperate it into your history lessons or if the science video thing is working for you, why not use videos for geography as well. Here's one on Lewis and Clark that I plan on getting soon.

HTH:)

OOPS! I almost forgot, maybe Teaching With Movies would be helpful to you.
Back to Top View BlessedMommy's Profile Search for other posts by BlessedMommy Visit BlessedMommy's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: April 02 2008 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

We have struggled a lot in different areas this year. Or I should say that *I* have. My oldest two are in 7th and 8th "grades," and we've changed some things to move from more of a free-flowing/unit study type learning style to more structured and systematic in some areas. I just haven't been able to get used to it, though! I am *not* a "use someone else's plan" type person, so the only areas where this is really working for us right now are the areas in which the kids take the book and do it on their own without me at all (history, latin and science). When I get involved, I tweak, am unhappy with the plan, go off on tangents, get behind,...

Our biggest area of struggle right now is writing. This year we haven't done many (any?) written narrations, and I bought Kolbe's Jr High Lit course and we're just reading without doing the writing. I pulled Writer's Jungle back out this week, though.

Like Leonie and Theresa, it hurts most when our unstructured times are unplanned. Guilt and frustration sets in for me at those times.

Ouiz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2008 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote Ouiz

Do you find that your weak areas change from year to year? I see a weak area, so I focus on making that a strength the next time around... and then something else falls by the wayside.

This year, history bit the dust.

I had such high hopes of studying American history and really making it come alive with read alouds, etc etc etc.

Didn't happen.

Language Arts really took off, so we've been having a lot of fun with that... and math stays fairly consistent... and since science was so weak last year, I put an extra bit of effort into that... and history suffered because of it.

Oh well.

Chez Ouiz
Back to Top View Ouiz's Profile Search for other posts by Ouiz Visit Ouiz's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version