Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Latin Lapbook? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 25 2008 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Has anyone used the new latin lapbook from Hands of a Child? I know that their selection is christian but didn't know that they carried anything Catholic... Anyone have any more info?

TIA!

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc +one more due 10/08

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 25 2008 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

OK, Donna Marie, I hesitate to post this here because there are so many that write much better. But, I recently purchased this, but haven't gone through it much. The Table of Contents include:

Classical Latin and Ecclesiastical Latin
Latin Pronunciation
Vowels
Consonants
Common Catholic Latin Words and Phrases
Catholic Prayers in Latin

It then lists 16 activities and a bonus activity.

This starts out basically saying that what is old is new again and that Sunday Mass attendance is increasing due to Latin. (Is that true? I'm not sure.)

It goes on to explain the differences between church and classical Latin. It states that Latin is not easy to learn, but understanding it is good and why it is good. "When Catholics understand Latin it enables them to understand the beautiful prayers, hymns, and chants that are part of their religious culture, tradition, and heritage." It goes into pronunciation and then practice. The first prayer is the Apostle's creed. It has the line in Latin with pronunciation in parenthesis and the English translation underneath (the line). It then lists common Catholic Latin words and phrases (about 50 of them). It goes on to Catholic prayers, starting with everything needed for the Rosary including the "O My Jesus...", Hail Holy Queen and "Oh God, Whose only begotten Son..." It also lists "I Confess", the Kyrie, the Gloria, the Agnus Dei, the blessing before meals, grace after meals, and Act of Contrition. All those prayers are listed in English and then Latin, with no pronunciation. The Guide then lists related books and Music and a Bibliography of web-sites. It ends, of course, with the lap-book activities that look fun and creative. There are even some computer graphics (cartoonish, yet reverent) of Latin Mass and alters.   

It looks good to me. Now I can't wait to get started with the children. This is perfect timing for us as we have had the privilege of attending the Latin Mass every other week for the last 2 months and our boys are learning to serve.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version