Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: First Communion Notebook Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote mary

I want to work on one with my ds who will be receiving this sacrament in the Spring. I've never done a notebook (or even a lapbook) before. I'm wondering if one of you would share what sorts of things you have included in a FC notebook?

Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Mary,
Here are the pages in our latest First Communion book:

What my name means (Patron Saints)
God made the World and He made ME
Creed
Bible
Guardian Angel
Original Sin
Gospel of Children (JPII)
Your Baptism
Deuteronomy (Our family’s verse)
Noah’s Ark
The ten commandments (re-state in his own words)
The Prodigal Son
The Vine and the Branches
The Lost Coin
The Lost Sheep
The Steps to a good confession (cut apart and she pastes them in order, with her own definition of the steps)
The Act of Contrition
Old Testament foreshadowing of the Eucharist:
Manna from Heaven
Ark of the Covenant – the tabernacle is our new ark of the covenant
Paschal Lamb (the last plague)-prefigurement of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God
Psalm 110. M both priest and king who offered a special sacrifice of bread and wine. Christ offered an unbloody sacrifice at the last supper.
Malachi 1:11. “From the rising of the sun to the setting of the sun, a perfect offering will be made.” Universal Church

New Testament:
     Jesus Christ is truly the Son of God. He is divine. He forgave sins. He worked miracles.
Wedding at Cana narration John 2. Jesus changed water into wine and showed that he had power over material elements
Loaves and Fishes (Small Gifts in God’s Hands narration) again, showing power over material elements
Jesus walked on water—showed power over his own body
Resurrection—again, power over his own body
Storm on the Sea—when Jesus speaks, it becomes a reality
The Last Supper—all the miracles rolled into one miracle.
Road to Emmaeus—the disciples did not recognize him until the breaking of the bread. We might not recognize him but he is really present. Because Jesus is glorified, he is not limited to normal physical limitations.

(1Corinthians 10 and 1: 1 Christians who do not recognize the Body and Blood of Christ.) No narration but discussion.

John 6:   I am the bread from Heaven

The Good Shepherd and World Communion

The Mass
Order of the Mass
     What we see at Mass—naming all vestments and articles on the altar and in the sanctuary. (A Peek into My Church)
     The Weight of a Mass (narration)        & nbsp; 
     The Little Caterpillar who Finds Jesus narration

Letter from Stephen to Jesus asking to receive Communion

Last page:
Letter to Stephen from me with my prayer for him.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote mary

Oh, Elizabeth, I could kiss you for that! I just got off the phone with our DRE and she was very nice and very pushy that what I have may not be 'quite right.' I have all of the FC books from CHC (but alas, no instructor's guide!)

Regarding your list:
what is the Gospel of children (JPII)?
did your family pick a verse from Deut?
did you put this all into a 3-ring binder?
How long did it take to make?
Any other hints or suggestions?

And thank you so very much!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I'm contemplating doing a First Communion notebook for my ds. Loved reading your plans, Elizabeth, and think this might be just the thing for ds. Questions, though: what did you do for each of those subtitles (starting after Patron Saints). Did your children narrate to you on the subjects? Did they do copywork for the prayers or did you study the history of the prayers(or both?)? Or did you come up with some really dauntingly creative activity for each subject heading?

One activity I've done for my children in the past, when studying the Ten Commandments, was to have them draw a picture illustrating the good that each Commandment enjoins us to do. For example, instead of drawing a lurid picture of someone killing someone for "Thou Shall Not Kill", they draw a picture of someone helping save someone, assisting at a pro-life clinic, fixing food for a soup kitchen, or something that shows the positive result of following the Commandment.

However, beyond such ideas, I'm at a loss how one would go about notebooking with a little person, something so deep as, say, John 6!

Do you have pictures of your First Communion notebooks posted anywhere?

Thanks for the inspiration.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We did lots of narration. My first book was a 12X12 and I can't afford to have it scanned. The next time around, I was wiser and did it on 8X10 paper. Now, fi I can just figure out how to scan, you can see pictures! Stay tuned.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

So, Elizabeth, was your end-result lapbook-style but in a notebook? (And does that question make any sense? ) Did you include drawings/photos, too?

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 21 2005 at 4:59am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

It doesn't have a lot of folds and such. But it's scapbook style narrations--lots of embellishments. Stephen was just six when he received HOly Communion so his fine motor is pretty poor but he had a great time pciking out paper and stickers and such at the scrapbook store. We'll try to scan today...

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2005 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

We did Elizabeth's FHC scrapbook plans for my daughter two years ago and it turned out beautifully. She was required to attend our parish CCD, which was awful, but this scrapbook proved to be the perfect preparation. And what a treasure! We had it out at the "after party" and had our guests write messages to her in the back. We also included cards and pictures. It is lovely.

I've already purchased a scrapbook, paper and lots of stickers for Matthew this year and we're actually starting today. (Wednesday is the kids' scrapbooking day around here--Mommy will get to scrapbook in about 20 years, I figure !)

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2005 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote mary

Molly Smith wrote:
We had it out at the "after party" and had our guests write messages to her in the back. We also included cards and pictures. It is lovely.

I've already purchased a scrapbook, paper and lots of stickers for Matthew this year and we're actually starting today. (Wednesday is the kids' scrapbooking day around here--Mommy will get to scrapbook in about 20 years, I figure !)

both ideas are fantastic!

I would love to see someone's notebook.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 21 2005 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

The notes on the after pages are precious and what I hadn't really thought about when I put them in was that the people writing would also be paging through the books. There were many nice compliments to the child and I think some adults learned a thing or two!

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2005 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote mary

mary wrote:

what is the Gospel of children (JPII)?
did your family pick a verse from Deut?
How long did it take to make?
Any other hints or suggestions?

And thank you so very much!

bumping because I have just ordered a memory book and would like to get started. I would still love to see yours if you could find time to scan them.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 25 2005 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I'm having giant computer woes, but Cindy Kelly (the VA one) has offered to scan for me

Jamberry77
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 01 2005 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote Jamberry77

By the way, under the "Files" section of the Catholic CM email group at the yahoogroup.com website, I found a file called "notebook examples" that Elizabeth posted that has a First Communion Scrapbook in it.

Kelly in NC
Back to Top View Jamberry77's Profile Search for other posts by Jamberry77

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2005 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Just waiting for the pages to see if our scanner will work!   

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

Jamberry77
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Jamberry77

Here's an idea for one page. Last night I told our son about this FHC book and told him some of the pages in it (from Elizabeth's list) and he said, "Oh, it's like a staircase, with the manna from heaven at the bottom step, and the other stories go on the other steps, then the Last Supper, the first real Mass, goes on the next to the top step, then the Mass goes on the top step!" So he's going to draw a staircase and label the steps appropriately on one of the pages.

Kelly in NC
Back to Top View Jamberry77's Profile Search for other posts by Jamberry77

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Kelly,
The picture of Mary Beth Foss's FHC notebook on the yahoo group were very helpful! Thanks for the reminder! My son will be preparing for his FHC this year as well.

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Kelly,

I love your son's idea! How special he is to God!

I'm going to meditate on the staircase idea next time I attend Mass.

God bless,

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2005 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote mary

What a neat connection! Thanks Kelly for the file suggestion - it really helps to see pictures.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2005 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Kelly, I think you and I have the same son THey certainly think alike. My son always has funny and creative ways to explain Godly things. When he was 2 and we were driving somewhere he was just gazing out the window and said, Hey, mommy, there's God." And he was pointing out the window at a beautiful sun ray poking out of some really black clouds. It was awesome.

Thanks for the super neat idea

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2005 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Well, we are well on our way with this beautiful communion notebook and I have a question about what you all are incorporating for the "Bible" section. We have been doing daily readings, but I was just wondering if there was something specific that was meant for this section. I can't recall from the beautiful book Elizabeth shared on the CCM loop what went in that page (or pgs.). Thanks for any help on this section.
How's it coming along for anyone else???

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version