Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Homemade Tortilla Recipes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 13 2008 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I hijacked Crunchy Mom's response from another thread as this really intrigued me:

CrunchyMom wrote:
Homemade tortillas:
Well, according to the package, I calculated making about 130 tortillas from the bag. I'm not sure how much it cost me, but online the price is 4.25 a bag (I think I may have paid less in the grocery store, but I'm not sure). Now, you might make them a little bigger (corn tortillas are typically small), but even then, it probably is the same "volume" of tortilla if not the same number, yk? And that comes out to about .33 for 10.

Plus, the clencher for us is that they taste SO good made fresh. To cost less AND its more of a treat, yk? We're planning to buy a tortilla press to save time. (And still buy the ready made variety while I have morning sickness ).

So I thought -- hmmm, I have left-over chili, let's make homemade tortillas (but I ran out of cornmeal last night so what about flour) to go with it ....

Here's a great article I found online:
How to Make Flour Tortillas -- I really like how she gives tips as well as different types of tortillas (Texas, Sonoran)...

Any other recipes y'all have tried?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Here are 2 versions of my mom's flour tortilla recipe. (The recipe is for me. She makes them by just looking at the ingredients in the bowl.)

I have been thinking a little more about a tortilla press lately, since the gringita a few doors down told me that she has a press/cooker combo that makes a tortilla in only a minute or two. But then you would lose the fun of rolling them with the kids....   

Small recipe (15 tortillas?)

Toss together:
4C Flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Work in with your fingers:
1 1/2 tsp oil

Mix in 1 1/4 C water until dough is nice and doughy. I usually need more water.

Pinch off golf ball sized pieces of dough and roll. Cook briefly on each side over high heat on a cast iron skillet.

Big Recipe
7 C Flour
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 c Crisco (cut in like in a pie crust)
2+ C water

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2008 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mary G wrote:
I hijacked Crunchy Mom's response from another thread as this really intrigued me:

CrunchyMom wrote:
Homemade tortillas:
Well, according to the package, I calculated making about 130 tortillas from the bag. I'm not sure how much it cost me, but online the price is 4.25 a bag (I think I may have paid less in the grocery store, but I'm not sure). Now, you might make them a little bigger (corn tortillas are typically small), but even then, it probably is the same "volume" of tortilla if not the same number, yk? And that comes out to about .33 for 10.

Plus, the clencher for us is that they taste SO good made fresh. To cost less AND its more of a treat, yk? We're planning to buy a tortilla press to save time. (And still buy the ready made variety while I have morning sickness ).

So I thought -- hmmm, I have left-over chili, let's make homemade tortillas (but I ran out of cornmeal last night so what about flour) to go with it ....

Here's a great article I found online:
How to Make Flour Tortillas -- I really like how she gives tips as well as different types of tortillas (Texas, Sonoran)...

Any other recipes y'all have tried?

There may be recipes for corn tortillas made from cornmeal (I haven't tried them), but I think that traditionally, they are made from mesa lorena (?) or "masa" of which Maseca is a name brand.

Corn and lime are boiled down and then turned into a special meal specifically for making tortillas and other Mexican wraps (tamales, gorditas, etc...).

Did you make the flour tortillas, yet?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2008 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Rachel May wrote:
I have been thinking a little more about a tortilla press lately, since the gringita a few doors down told me that she has a press/cooker combo that makes a tortilla in only a minute or two. But then you would lose the fun of rolling them with the kids....

My little guy really likes to flip them, too, but I use an electric griddle instead of the stovetop.

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2008 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

My recipe is pretty close to Rachels, but I cook them on a cast iron skillet.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2008 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I did do the tortillas last night -- and altho the taste was good, I was in a hurry and just didn't take time to make them really, really flat. Mine ended up being about 5" square , but again, it was because I didn't take time with it.

Also, my cast-iron pan (which I did dry as she suggested) actually started burning on the outside ... kind of scary especially if you're in a hurry!

I'm going to try this again when I have more time .... Molly do you do yours dry on the skillet or do you grease it a bit?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2008 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I make them on a dry skillet, my skillet is old and well seasoned. Is yours new Mary?
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2008 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

No, my skillet is ancient (Mom had it when I was little ) but I think the seasoning on the outside is what "caught fire" ... do you use gas or electric? Our stove is electric but it's all we've got

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 15 2008 at 2:43am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I use a dry cast iron skillet as well (on electric).

Mary G wrote:
I'm going to try this again when I have more time ....

Or I'll give you a tutorial at our house if you walk me through making your delicious artisan bread!

Your little thread here got me to finish a blog post I've had in drafts for awhile. It's a little tortilla rabbit trail for anyone interested.

The recipe I have used (from Josefina's Cook Book) is:
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup lard, vegetable shortening, or oil
1/2 cup hot water

Add the shortening or oil to dry ingredients, blend with pastry cutter until crumbly. Add hot water and mix until it forms soft, sticky dough. Knead on floured surface for about a minute, adding more flour if it sticks. Cover with damp towel for 10 minutes.

Then the rolling and cooking after that.

So anyway I have a question for you, Rachel, since I am sure yours are more authentic. Do you do the step where you let them set for a bit with the damp towel? I've left that out before when I'm in a hurry and they are much harder to roll out and definitely don't turn out as well. Just curious.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2008 at 4:43am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I use electric/wood stove. hmmmmmm I wonder what happen with yours?

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2008 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I'm thinking improper seasoning over the years ! I pulled up the recipe linked bove and she has a link to a great article about seasoning and I know I've been bad about seasoning each time I use it ...

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

and I was in such a hurry I cut short the "resting" time so as MaryM points out that does make it harder to roll out.

Mary M -- why don't we do the tortilla rabbit trail and make tortillas after Easter break?

Thanks all for your great advice!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2008 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

MaryM wrote:
So anyway I have a question for you, Rachel, since I am sure yours are more authentic. Do you do the step where you let them set for a bit with the damp towel? I've left that out before when I'm in a hurry and they are much harder to roll out and definitely don't turn out as well. Just curious.

I haven't ever heard of the damp towel step. I'll have to try it once my bump is born, and I won't cringe in pain rolling the torillas. And I realized that I do prefer warm water. I wonder why it makes a difference?
Oh, and I do use a dry cast iron skillet too (over gas). The neighbor has the press/cooker. I've never seasoned the bottom of the skillet. Is that necessary?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Rachel May wrote:
MaryM wrote:

I haven't ever heard of the damp towel step. I'll have to try it once my bump is born, and I won't cringe in pain rolling the torillas. And I realized that I do prefer warm water. I wonder why it makes a difference?
Oh, and I do use a dry cast iron skillet too (over gas). The neighbor has the press/cooker. I've never seasoned the bottom of the skillet. Is that necessary?

I think it depends on how well seasoned your skillet is to begin with and what kind of food you cook in it and how well you clean it. If you are doing a lot of fatty things (burger, bacon, sausage) and you are gentle in cleaning it, it kind of self seasons.

That's my theory anyway It is probably the same laziness that makes me not season my pan that makes me not clean it well either, so, maybe it all comes out even in the end when it comes to cast iron

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version