Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Notebook Project-- Year of the Eucharist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 5:05am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Our Papal notebooks were such a hit last year that I've been thinking of more notebook projects. Anybody have ideas for The Year of the Eucharist? I started doing Frist Communion notebooks only two children ago. So, my first three don't have them. This might be a way to hit some of that on a more advanced level...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 12:49am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

What about studying Eucharistic miracles? You could choose some saints to study who wrote and preached on the Eucharist. What about learnig about the different parts of benediction and the Latin as well?

Just my humble 2 cents....

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

We went to a conference a while back, and the kids made monstrances from common craft items...maybe Alice has the instructions? They were beautiful, and would go well in a lapbook or note book for First Communicants.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

They could learn how to write "thanks" in Greek, next to it the transliterated English version, "Efcharisto" (sometimes shown as "Efharisto". The "h"--or "ch"-- is gutteral, like the "ch" in German) and next to it our English word, "Eucharist". When you see the Greek form next to the English word, "Eucharist", it makes total sense because the first two Greek letters look like an English "E" and "U".

Learning the Greek alphabet might be a fun rabbit trail, too. If your older kids really wanted to run with that, they could then learn CURSIVE Greek alphabet. It isn't particularly difficult and IS very helpful for things like writing secret messages I use it regularly to write on the back of Christmas packages so I won't forget what's in the wrapped package...

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

MacBeth wrote:
We went to a conference a while back, and the kids made monstrances from common craft items...maybe Alice has the instructions? They were beautiful, and would go well in a lapbook or note book for First Communicants.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I've already purchased materials so our Catholic girls club can make them. (Tell Annika to get ready! )

Materials:

Large gold doily
White paper plate
Stiff gold posterboard (or use white and spray paint it)
Stiff white paper (or just use another paper plate)

Staple a large gold doily to a white paper plate with the gold part of the doily facing out. This will form the top of the monstrance, and the plate will keep it from hanging limply.

From the gold posterboard, cut out a stem and base, and staple these to the bottom of the doily/paper plate. Cut a well-proportioned circle from the stiff white paper (or second paper plate), and glue to the center of the monstrance to represent a Host. Allow the children to decorate the host with a Chi Rho other appropriate symbol.

This project could also be embellished with plastic jewels or glitter glue. It's easy and stunning. If you made a slightly smaller monstrance, it would make a fabulous cover for your Year of the Eucharist notebooks.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Elizabeth wrote:
   This might be a way to hit some of that on a more advanced level...

So, you are probably asking..."Does MacBeth ever read any post to the end? I said advanced."

OK :

How about a written narration of de Heem's Eucharist?

Read Pope Benedict XVI's God is Near Us: The Eucharist... and do a chapter by chapter narration.

They say that JPII used to write in front of the exposed Sacrament. Spend an hour before the Sacrament in prayer, and write about it. What influence does prayer at exposition have on your writing?

What has your parish done that is special for the Year of the Eucharist. Should these special events continue?

Copy the text of Tantum Ergo and O Salutaris Hostia into your notebook. Work out a translation. Is it the same as the translation in your hymnal (or another hymnal)? Why might it be different?

Read and compare the Last Supper passages in the Gospels.

Write about the history of the Eucharist "underground," from the early Christians to those persecuted in the world today.

Ask a priest about Mass--what is it like to consecrate the bread and wine?

Defend the doctrine of transubstantiation and compare it with Protestant beliefs.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

MacBeth wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
   This might be a way to hit some of that on a more advanced level...

So, you are probably asking..."Does MacBeth ever read any post to the end? I said advanced."

I might ask that, but I figured you'd be back for the rest . By the way, we've made those monstrances before for First Communion notebooks. Very nice .

MacBeth wrote:
How about a written narration of de Heem's Eucharist?

Read Pope Benedict XVI's God is Near Us: The Eucharist... and do a chapter by chapter narration.

That's good. I've got the latter and was just reading it myself. I can read aloud with my big boys.

MacBeth wrote:
What has your parish done that is special for the Year of the Eucharist. Should these special events continue?

But, there is a diocesan pilgrimage scheduled for October. We'll do that and take pix and write about.

Macbeth wrote:
Copy the text of Tantum Ergo and O Salutaris Hostia into your notebook. Work out a translation. Is it the same as the translation in your hymnal (or another hymnal)? Why might it be different?

Read and compare the Last Supper passages in the Gospels.

Write about the history of the Eucharist "underground," from the early Christians to those persecuted in the world today.

Ask a priest about Mass--what is it like to consecrate the bread and wine?

Defend the doctrine of transubstantiation and compare it with Protestant beliefs.

Wow! You're on roll...Might you have been forced into a lesson planning mode lately?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I've got a few ideas. I'm a little intimidated when I see posts about notebooks, because I have no experience there.

The Eucharist Miracles idea is interesting...there are at least two books on this: This is My Body, This is My Blood by Bob and Penny Lord (plus they have videos of actual pilgrimages to these spots) and Eucharistic Miracles by Joan Carroll Cruz. I would direct the study in this light: look at these miracles, but they are for the unbeliever, like St. Thomas the Apostle. If we truly believe in transubstantiation, we wouldn't need these miracles.

There is a story of St. Louis, King, who was told about a eucharistic miracle going on nearby, and that he should come to view it. He said his faith didn't require something like that, so he didn't go to the site.

Art: finding and studying classical pieces, like different versions of the Last Supper, other depictions of Eucharistic processions, the Mass, etc. Perhaps making one's own masterpiece?

Patron Saints related to the Eucharist:
St. John the Apostle
Peter Julian Eymard
Paschal Baylon (Eucharistic Congresses)
Thomas Aquinas
Anthony of Padua (Patron of Faith in the Blessed Sacrament)
Tarcisius (First Communicants)
Pius X (First Communicants)
Bl. Imelda (First Communicants)

Adoremus has some nice links on the Year of the Eucharist, as does Usccb. I would also read Pope John Paul's Ecclesia de Eucharista, which is listed on this page. I was thinking a challenge would be to find out how many popes wrote encyclicals and apostolic letters on the Eucharist.

Find out about various Eucharistic Congresses, especially the ones in the US for this Year.

Learning about the vestments and linens and articles at Mass...which of course most of your children have already done because of the familiarity of the atrium and the Mass kit. But take it further with home ec in mind, sewing, embroidering linens, making altar cloths, designing symbols to use. The notebook could include pictures of the final project, and small samples of fabrics, trim, embroidery. Banners could also be a project, with the design and pictures included in the notebook.

There are two books I would recommend. One is called Sewing Church Linens by Elizabeth Morgan. I think she's Episcopalian, so some things may not apply. She has a great website Church Linens. Church Sew has other information.

The other book may be hard to find. It probably is still available from Our Lady of the Rosary School. It's called Preparing for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass by Janice Smyth (the deceased founder of OLRS). She created her home economics course in high school around this book, one semester making altar linens, then had patterns for vestments for the next semester.

I always had a plan to make a special altar cloth to be used in all my family sacramental celebrations. I think I now want to make two sizes -- one for the altar, for weddings, funerals, and then another for a little table, to hold the offertory, baptismal items, sacrament of the sick, etc. when perhaps my altar cloth can't be used. This means designing Eucharistic symbols to embroider and crocheting a lovely edging. I have collected some easy patterns to make a crocheted edging plus great embroidery and symbol patterns...I could share if you would like. I know I'm sharing a personal tangent, but *perhaps* it might interest someone else. There are antique stores and eBay stores that sell lovely antique linens that could be used to cut up or intact, besides other sources for lovely new fabrics.

Some Liturgical Year ideas I had put together last year. I know the Year of the Eucharist will be over, but:

Advent and the Year of the Eucharist

Christmas and the Eucharist

Holy Thursday...a long way away, but make plans on making a family seder meal, copywork the readings from the Holy Thursday mass to put on display.

The Sacred Heart devotion and the Eucharist to me seem so tied together.

Ah, dh is bringing home dinner.    I'll post my other ideas later.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Oops, I missed the "advanced" part, too

Like the ideas about copying and translating Tantum Ergo! Very creative, MacBeth.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2005 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I know most of my ideas are outside of a notebook realm...

But here is one:

A multi-dimensional altar and tabernacle page. Have the children read the "requirements" of how the altar should be structured, where the tablenacle should be placed (this would be in the GIRM and Vat II documents) and then design a sanctuary, making the page with different dimensions, including a veil for the tabernacle, having the door open up with a ciborium inside, a sanctuary light, etc.

The Directory on Popular Piety and Liturgy has some description of Eucharistic devotions. Msgr. Peter Elliott also has two books Ceremonies of the Modern Roman Rite and Ceremonies of the Liturgcal Year by Ignatius Press which really emphasize the detail and reverence and preciseness in liturgy. The former is particulary for the Eucharist and the Liturgy of the Hours. These would be good to read for altar servers and the study of the Mass.

Besides Mass, there is Communion of the Sick, Viaticum, Adoration of the Eucharist, Exposition, Corpous Chrsiti Celebration, 40 hours...it is interesting to study the different forms and perhaps a page could be dedicated to each.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version