Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Circle Time? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2008 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

Do any of you do a regular circle time? I am starting to put together a circle time for spring and wondered what other families do. My tentative plan is to include devotion, math activities, art/composer study, seasonal activities, and a story at the end. This will also be for my 10yo dss, so it will have to be a good blend of older and younger things. I am anxious to see what others do! Thanks!

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2008 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Betsie,

We have been doing circle time this year pretty regularly (we've done it sporatically in the past.) I know Rebecca recently did a blog post about circle time in their home.

Ours is geared toward the 5 and under crowd here, after I get the over 5 crowd started on their table work each morning. We follow the same 'format' but I change the content up every month. Well, we keep many of the same prayers, but I change up the songs, poems and stories up according to season and such. Here is our current format:

Childs morning offering (we keep this all the time.)
Date, Day of the Week, Month of the Year, Year, Season, Liturgical Season and Color.
Saint - of the day or close to.
Lesson from Leading Little Ones to Mary
Song - She'll be Comin' Round the Mountain (from the American song Treasury.)
Bible story from Tomie dePaola's Bible Stories
Prayer - Currently the St. Michael Prayer
Poem - Stopping by Woods on a Snowey Evening by Robert Frost
Song - "Jesus Christ has Risen Today" to have memorized for Easter.

Sometimes it get's more excited with finger plays, games and such, but right now I have one that is giving me a real hard time with this so I'm keeping it more low key for awhile.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 10 2008 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

We do have "circle time" in our home as well. For our circle time, the following are included:

*fun songs from kids cds
*songs appropriate to season - we are learning 2 Easter songs right now
*verses we are working on for scripture memory
*prayer
*Bible story and devotion for the day
*marking date on calendar

I thought I would throw out there this blog who has been discussing circle time in the past 2 weeks. I went ahead and linked you to all her circle time posts, because they are good. But, if you only have a few minutes, you could read the past 3-4 entries from the last week or so. GREAT ideas on there!

Preschoolers and Peace - circle time entries

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 10 2008 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Betsie,

This topic is so timely! I have always done morning *prayer time* followed by *table time* but ever since reading Donna Simmon's books I am now more interested in learning about how to incorporate *circle time*. -- songs, poetry, love the idea of art appreciation, prayers, storytime --

I would love to see more of how others do this in their families!! I have a wide age range and need more creative ideas on how to incorporate all the ages -- if possible.

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 10 2008 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

I thought I would mention that the link I posted from Preschoolers and Peace does circle time with a large group of kids and a wide age group. Her oldest is maybe 11 or 12?

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2008 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

WE have been doing circle time this year and it has been a success. I mostly do it for the benefit of my pre-schooler but my older two are enjoying it as well.

This is what we do:
Bible reading
sing a hymn or praise chorus
preschool songs (2)
fingrplay
action song
we might then do some exercises, rhythm activities
recite poetry

Julia
mom of 3 (8,7,5)
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

stephanie
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 24 2008 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote stephanie

CandaceC wrote:
I thought I would mention that the link I posted from Preschoolers and Peace does circle time with a large group of kids and a wide age group. Her oldest is maybe 11 or 12?

I think she may even have a teen or two. Eight kids (well, almost 8 ... the last is due in the next six weeks or so).

I have started circle time with my girls in the last couple months, but we are still in the stage of learning to sit for it (especially the 2yo and 11mo). The four year old loves it and is all about the stories so I'm really looking forward to expanding on it and fleshing it out more once my littlest littles understand sitting still a bit more.
Back to Top View stephanie's Profile Search for other posts by stephanie Visit stephanie's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2008 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I remember being inspired by Rebecca at Gypsy caravan's twol posts. Oh and I shared here what we do.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

websterm
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 25 2008 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote websterm

I have kiddos ranging from 4yrs to 10mths - I do home daycare - they aren't all mine. We do circle time that includes:
calendar
topic of the week - this week it is worms
shape that we are working on
number of the week
letter of the week
normally a song
My question is, what is a good Catholic book to use for about a 2 yr old? I am wanting something with stories about saints, but short so they are geared for young ages. Any suggestions??

Marcia
Home To Learn
Back to Top View websterm's Profile Search for other posts by websterm Visit websterm's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 25 2008 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

websterm wrote:

My question is, what is a good Catholic book to use for about a 2 yr old? I am wanting something with stories about saints, but short so they are geared for young ages. Any suggestions??

Marcia,
The book we use along the Along the Alphabet Path, an Alphabet of Catholic Saints, has a very brief rhyme for each saint. They're familiar saints, so you can tell your little one more about the saint if you like. I know some preschoolers who have the whole book memorized .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 26 2008 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Our circle time format looks similar to the others.

I just sing "Circle Time" to the tune of Edelweiss and ask the children to sit on scarves to define their space. A beeswax candle is lit and blown out at the end.

I also find that having Show & Tell on Monday mornings motivates the kids to come and participate.

I still have problems getting my 4yo boy to cooperate with circle time but we keep at it. I believe that "circle time manners" are important to learn and use in public!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version