Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Easy biscuit recipe? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

After years of always using Bisquick, we have stopped buying it. I have been using a recipe that basically makes Bisquick, but haven't been as pleased with the results.

Anyone have a recipe for biscuits from scratch? I want to make some to put on our Chicken Pot Pie tonight. Keep in mind that I am still in that world of white flour, refined sugars, and such. So, that is what I have on hand.

Thanks!

(if you want to challenge me with a more nutritious recipe, that would be great. I will copy it down for another night. Tonight I need easy and readily available.)

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

2 cups flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup oil or butter
2/3 cup milk

Stir together dry ingredients. Cut in the oil or butter until crumbly. Add milk until dough forms into ball. Knead gently 5 to 10 times - to not overwork or biscuits can be tough. Roll or pat on flour surface to about 1/2 inch thick. (For flakier biscuits, fold dough into thirds toward the center and roll out again, gently. Repeat 2 or 3 times.) Cut into rounds. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 400 degress for about 15 minutes.

It is a simple recipe - very basic to start, but you can modify. You can use any combination of flours as well. If at some point you start using the other flours you can start with half white and half ww, or use oat flour, wheat germ, bran or rolled oats as part of the flour mixture. This recipe is from the LLL Whole Foods for the Whole Family cookbook and we have been using it for years.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

BISCUITS
2 c flour
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
1/4 c shortening or butter
3/4 c milk (1 c for drop biscuits)

mix dry ingredients.. cut in shortening until it looks like crumbs.. add milk and stir until just mixed. either roll and cut out or drop onto a cookie sheet. bake at 450* for 12-15 min.

And I will make this with soft whole wheat flour if you want it more healthful and it works fine.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

I have just finally learned to make biscuits. Here's what I have learned:

*your dough should be sticky
*when the recipe says cut the butter until the dough looks like crumbs, big clumpy buttery crumbs is fine (I always overworked at this part)
*do not roll them out, pat them out to cut them
*when you cut them, don't twist the cutter, this seals the edges so they cannot rise as much

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Okay, I'll challenge you with a healthier recipe

Whole Wheat Tea Biscuits

Mix together in a medium bowl:
4 cups whole wheat flour
5 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt

Put a well in the middle and set aside.

In a smaller bowl mix:
1/2 cup oil
2 cups warm water

Add to dry ingredients and mix together (don't over-mix!).

Drop onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 450* 10- 15 minutes (depending on how crispy you like the bottoms).

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Oh, wow, I needed these biscuit recipes for yesterday's supper.

I cheated and used canned biscuits because dh wasn't home and he's the biscuit maker in this household.

And, Molly, Bisquick is one of those brand-name food items that I grew up with and I simply cannot imagine my pantry shelf without it. That and LeSueur sweet peas.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

This is my biscuit bread recipe, we don't make individual biscuits, I just plop it all on a cookies sheet. It is so good and well loved here. I got it from a very dear friend. She lived next-door to us for years and we ran baking powder back and forth to each on a regular basis, one of us was always out; it calls for 6 tsps!

Mix
4 c flour
1/2 c sugar
6 tsp. baking powder
1tsp salt

Cut in 2/3 c butter
Gradually add 1 1/2 - 2 cup milk (or buttermilk)
Dough shouldn't be sticky. Do not over mix lest if fail to rise. Knead 10 times. Plop on greased cookie sheet, spread out.

Bake at 425
about 18 minutes or until brown.

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Mary M.--I made a double batch of these biscuits ths morning and the family has declared them delicious...I'm going to try the whole wheat recipe to go with Sunday supper...thanks, ladies!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
This recipe is from the LLL Whole Foods for the Whole Family cookbook and we have been using it for years.

I love their cookbooks. I use them over and over again. Even with food allergy restrictions, I still find quite a few recipes I can use.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Thank you ladies! I went with Jodie's, which is so similar to MaryM's, since I wanted to drop them in the soup. Everybody loved them. We are a bread loving family, so it's got to be good.

I will have to try the healthier recipes this weekend.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Cay Gibson wrote:

And, Molly, Bisquick is one of those brand-name food items that I grew up with and I simply cannot imagine my pantry shelf without it. That and LeSueur sweet peas.

We stopped buying it last year in an attempt to save money and cook healthier. I am not sure it has made a difference in the budget. I know I don't make pancakes as much anymore.

Trust me, I certainly have my special brand names I won't give up. Just not nearly as many as I used to have.

Remembering Today

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

These all look about the same as mine except that I use self-rising instead of flour/baking powder. And I always use real butter.

Yummy!

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

I should have mentioned that I prefer butter and milk as well, but our youngest is allergic to milk, so...

One thing a friend of mine told me that I hadn't thought of, though, is that switching to oil and water saves a *ton* of money if you make biscuits on a regular basis.

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Cay Gibson wrote:
That and LeSueur sweet peas.

Would you believe these are something my Cuban mother is always sure to have in her pantry? It is a key ingredient in Cuban chicken salad.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version