Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Easy but authentic Polish recipe? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

My husband has some co-workers in from Poland and they have been here for almost a month. Some of them are missing their homemade Polish cuisine. Does anybody have an easy recipe for something authentically Polish that this mostly Czech girl could make for him to take in to work?

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

Matilda, last summer my family did a Pope John Paul II unit and we concluded with a polish meal. This unit has recipes and they are delicious!!! Cay Gibson and others put this together. We loved it!PJP Unit

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2008 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Oh, yes those recipes are delicious!

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 5:29am | IP Logged Quote Mary K

If you serve keilbasa, be sure to look for fresh sausage, not smoked. The taste is much better(imho).
kluski would be easy-just look for it by the noodles at the store.
Other Polish foods would be pierogis, golumki (stuffed cabbage rolls), kapusta (suarkraut).
God bless,
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I think Pierogis might be easier to transport to work since I don't think there is time for them to come to our house. Does this recipe look authentic? It seems easy enough.

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 cups flour, plus extra for kneading and rolling dough
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 large egg
* 1/2 cup sour cream, plus extra to serve with the pierogi
* 1/4 cup butter, softened and cut into small pieces
* butter and onions for sauteing
* ingredients for filling of your choice (potato & cheese filling recipe below)

PREPARATION:
Pierogi Dough
To prepare the pierogi dough, mix together the flour and salt. Beat the egg, then add all at once to the flour mixture. Add the 1/2 cup sour cream and the softened butter pieces and work until the dough loses most of its stickiness (about 5-7 minutes).

You can use a food processor with a dough hook for this, but be careful not to overbeat. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes or overnight; the dough can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Prepare the Pierogies
Roll the pierogi dough on a floured board or countertop until 1/8" thick. Cut circles of dough (2" for small pierogies and 3-3 1/2" for large pierogies) with a cookie cutter or drinking glass. Place a small ball of filling (about a tablespoon) on each dough round and fold the dough over, forming a semi-circle. Press the edges together with the tines of a fork.

Boil the perogies a few at a time in a large pot of water. They are done when they float to the top (about 8-10 minutes). Rinse in cool water and let dry.

Saute chopped onions in butter in a large pan until onions are soft. Then add pierogies and pan fry until lightly crispy.

Potato, Cheese & Onion Filling: Peel and boil 5 lbs of potatoes until soft. Red potatoes are especially good for this. While the potatoes are boiling, finely chop 1 large onion and saute in butter until soft and translucent. Mash the potatoes with the sauted onions and 8oz of grated cheddar cheese, adding salt and pepper to taste. You can also add some fresh parsley, bacon bits, or other enhancements if you desire. Let the potato mixture cool and then form into 1" balls.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 28 2008 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

We did the JPII unit last lent and made that Polish meal for Easter dinner. It was wonderful and not hard.

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Kapusta is also very traditional. It's easy to make and transport. And it's WONDERFUL with a crusty rye bread.

1 chicken carcass (or very small whole chicken, boiled).
2 qt. water
1 sm head cabbage, shredded
1 large onion, shredded
1 jar or can sauerkraut
1 can YELLOW pea soup (Habitant makes it)
salt and pepper to taste

You've got to boil the bones of the chicken (pork bones are traditional but our family almost never eats pork) for about an hour. Remove bones, strip off meat and return that to the pot. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until the cabbage is really nice and soft.

You can use chicken stock if you haven't got a carcass hanging around, but you won't get the meat, which is what makes the soup SO yummy.

We serve this over mashed potatoes at our house. It should not be a brothy soup, you should have more solids. It is for me ultimate comfort food. MMMM!

Pierogis are wonderful, too. I love making and eating them. My mum and Nana made killer gulabkis. Man, oh man... I miss that smell in the kitchen.

Blessings

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

Well, I've never actually made my own pierogis. We buy them frozen or are lucky enough to get them from the Broadway Market in Buffalo when my dh's sister gets them for us. He's the Polish part of the family.
I have a friend who makes them using farmer's cheese instead of cheddar. I've also heard of cottage cheese being used.
God bless,
Mary-NY

Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

nutmeg
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 29 2008 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote nutmeg

Borscht is an AWESOME creamy Polish soup that you put hash browns, kielbasa, mushrooms, and hard boiled eggs in.(after cooking... not while! ) But I think it requires a few days to make the base... so maybe that won't work. But, mmmmm I love my Mom's borscht.

Noah-8
Gemma-7
Beth-5
Mae-3
And 2 in Heaven

Life in a Nutshell
Back to Top View nutmeg's Profile Search for other posts by nutmeg Visit nutmeg's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version