Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: Discernment Prayers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Seems many folks are in the midst of discernment right now ... so, I thought I'd post a general prayer post for all who may benefit from this prayer.

Quote:

Prayer For Discernment by Thomas Merton

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this, You will lead me by the right road. Though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me. And you will never leave me to face my struggles alone.

Hope that this prayer helps many of you out there ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thank you, Mary. Lovely...

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh my gosh, Mary, I almost had a heart attack when I saw this thread title. Thought you were discerning a move, too!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Wonderful prayer, Mary. Thank you for sharing.

I have something to share as well concerning this subject. It's from Mother Angelica's Little Book of Life Lessons & Everyday Spirituality page 62-63:

Discerning God's Will for You

How do you evaluate God's Will in your life? I don't think God's Will always makes you feel good. You judge God's Will as follows:

1. Does it violate any of the Commandments? Is it against the precepts of the Church?
2. Will it give God honor and glory?
3. Will it benefit my family and my spiritual life?

This is how you can judge what God's Will is for you. And sometimes we don't have clarity even with that. I would pray more at that point.
(Here's where Merton's prayer kicks in. ) I would ask Our Lord to give you light. If somehow along the way we miss it, He will make good out of your mistakes. You can depend on that.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2008 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

A really big help in times of discernment as well is the sacred heart novena prayed by Padre Pio

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version