Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Freedom Summer Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Our conversation about Racial Awareness/Race Issues reminded me that I wanted to share this book:

Freedom Summer by Deborah Wiles illustrated by Jerome Lagarrigue

This is the story of best friends, one white and one black, on the eve of desegregation. They do everything together, as far as they are able, and they eagerly anticipate the desegregation of the public pool. When they arrive at the pool, however, a black work crew is filling the pool with asphalt. After their silent contemplation of this, the story ends with them walking into the local store together to buy ice pops.

When we first got this book about a year ago, my kids asked for it as a back to back to back to back read because it is, at its heart, the story of friendship. I love that it is not preachy or moralizing. Last week was the first time the older kids started to ask questions about why the whites didn't want the black people to swim in the pool. I'll admit that when I first read it, I was shocked by the level of malice that would lead to someone ruining a swimming pool rather than sharing it, but that is not something the kids have latched on to at all.

Amazon link

Keywords: black history, friendship, desegragation, segregation, swimming

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Sounds like a very good book - I just requested it so should get it soon. It reminded me of a couple other picture books we have read about "color-blind" friendships which I thought I'd add. If anyone has other suggestions let's list them here as well. Great topic!!

Across the Alley
The Other Side

And these aren't about exclusively childhood friendships but ones between and adult and a child.
Mr. George Baker
Mrs. Katz and Tush

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2010 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Elizabeth wrote:
My friend Kathy discovered O Holy Night: Christmas with the Boys Choir of Harlem at the Catholic Shop and called especially to tell me about it. The first thing that struck me about this book, illustrated by the renowned Faith Ringgold, is that the Holy Family is dark-skinned and the supporting cast is multi-ethnic. The book begins with scripture and then moves to illustrated lyrics of traditional carols. An accompanying CD is a soulful recording of the Harlem Boys Choir singing Christmas carols. Truly, this book and CD set is a sensory feast.

Black History Month

Pop's Bridge

Angel Books

Round is a Mooncake

War of 1812 and Civil War Books

The Black Community: Saints and Friends

the 'other' side of the world

Always An Olivia

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version