Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Why is Lent so early Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Carole N. wrote:
Kathryn, do you have a seder meal on Holy Thursday? I remember there being some discussion about it last year. I think that I came away a bit disconcerted as I would not want to take a Jewish tradition and try to make it into something is should not be.

No, my dh is Jewish so we follow Jewish practice and have seder meals on the first two nights of Passover, which lasts for 8 days. Usually we have one at home and go to my SIL's house for the other. If a seder night falls on Holy Thursday it messes up the Triduum for me . Either I end up having to miss the Holy Thursday Mass or have to prepare and rush through a seder before going to Church. An occupational hazard of having two religions in one family

I remember that discussion, and it was probably my contribution that made you feel disconcerted . We keep the two celebrations (Easter and Passover) very much separate.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Back in 1967 Easter was on March 26th. I remember this, because my b'day is the 24th and we were supposed to go to Indiana to see my oldest sis and bil for Easter but ended up staying home due to snow.

That would have put Ash Wednesday on... Feb. 8th. I think?

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Carole N. wrote:
Our church still has the nativity up at the altar. The priest said this was the old custom to keep it up until February 2nd, the official end of the Christmas season.
Is it true that this is more ingrained into the European tradition even though the calendars have changed?

I'm thinking that leaving up the Christmas decorations and crib is popular piety, as the liturgy doesn't reflect Christmas all the way until Candlemas.

This site (use caution) shows the breakdown of the seasons with the traditional calendar. In the old calendar the year was broken down in two sections, the Christmas and Easter Cycle. But when I refer to season, I'm talking about liturgy, which is reflected in the vestment colors and the name of the season. Christmastide or Christmas season in the Traditional Calendar lasted 21 days until January 13, and the priest wears white vestments throughout, just like the forty days of Easter, all white vestments.

Time after Epiphany is green vestments and is considered the same as ordinary time, or ferial days.

"The Time after Epiphany includes from one to five Sundays; it recalls to use the hidden life of Christ at Nazareth, and manifests to us His divinity."

I'm probably the only one that finds this interesting, but all my life I've heard "why has the Church changed the calendar from 40 days of Christmas" and in reality it hasn't! Anyway, I'll try and blog my thoughts and quotes since it's just my little thrill.

MaryM wrote:
Carole N. wrote:
As far as Easter and Lent, it is early, but Jenn, I have an Easter birthday this year! I remember when I had my 5th birthday, my mother made it an Easter birthday ... but I believe it was the day before or after Easter. It does not happen early very often, but it does happen occassionally.

An Easter birthday this year! Enjoy! A few years ago my birthday was on Easter for the first time in my life - though it had hit around it many times - that was really fun. Carole, your 5th birthday would have had to have been before Easter unless you were 5 in 1818 . You can check this site for a listing of all the dates for Easter between 1875 and 1823 to see when your birthday fell that year. I really like the charts on this site because they show the frequency of Easter being on specific dates. And this site has Easter dates for the past 300 years and the upcoming 300 years.

Such great stuff! We were having the same conversations at home. This year my birthday is on Palm Sunday. Never in my life or any century will it be in Easter, or out of Lent. But wow, Carole, that's exciting to have it in Easter. Start planning now -- 40 of course was big, but an March-Easter birthday is equally unique and exciting!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

The calender I have from Catholic Church Extension Services (the one the Parish hands out) shows the vestments White until after the Baptism of the Lord.. a week past Epiphany.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JodieLyn wrote:
The calender I have from Catholic Church Extension Services (the one the Parish hands out) shows the vestments White until after the Baptism of the Lord.. a week past Epiphany.

Yes, that is correct. Both calendars include the Baptism of Our Lord in Chrsitmas season. New calendar will move the date if Epiphany is late, otherwise it is the Sunday after Epiphany. In the old calendar it was set at January 13, then Time After Epiphany begins.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version