Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Ideas for Active Toddler Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 29 2008 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I need ideas of what to offer my VERY ACTIVE 2 year old son while the girls and I do "school." If we're making lapbooks, he's ripping them apart; if we're counting beans, he's throwing them across the room. I'm afraid to break out the Montessori materials for the girls because I know he'd just destroy them.

I know it's hard for him because he's got all that 2-year-old-pent-up-energy, but HELP! I'm losing my mind!!!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2008 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Sarah, several of us also have a 2yo (or two!) so we can certainly understand where you are coming from. It is perhaps our greatest challenge! Today I found two pegs from the geometry cabinet shapes outside on the sidewalk (when did that happen???), spent some time on my knees gathering up 100 little golden unit beads that got dumped on the kitchen floor,had to pull JackJack out of the bottom portion of the map cabinet, and run after our globe as he rolled it down the hallway!
I'm heading off to a well-earned sleep right now, but will get back with you tomorrow on some ideas. Hopefully some of the other moms of twos will chime in as well. Apparently I need some ideas, too!LOL!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2008 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Hey Sarah I dedicated a whole Carnival to toddlers last year when my little guy turned 2, he's still what I would consider an "active" little guy at almost three

Hope you can find some of these ideas helpful, it's heavy on Montessori and lots of LOVE:

Carnival of Toddlers

Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2008 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote joann10

I have an "energentic" 1.5dd and a 2.5ds and keeping them out of trouble is certainly a full time job--which meana alot of schoolwork is not getting done around here. I look forward to much needed advice also!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote joann10

I posted at the same time as Meredith, now I will go and glean as much advice as I can from the Carnival of Toddlers!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2008 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Ahhh two year olds! My little guy is 16 months, but definitely into everything- this morning I was pleased to be having a quite time doing lessons with my 8-year-old. Usually the toddler is climbing all over the school table and throwing/dumping things. Then I went into the kitchen and saw he had dumped the sugar bowl everywhere!

I think toddlers make it pretty clear what their developmental tasks are: climbing, dumping, pouring, etc!
Some ideas that keep my little guy off the school table:
-playdough
-rice bin
-bath (we sometimes do lessons in the bathroom while he plays in the tub!)
-little scooter bike for him to ride around on
-couch cushions on the floor for him to climb on
-any bin of little things (math bears, etc) for him to dump out and put back in

I do have a few special toddler shelves for him and try to redirect him to those, and spend time with him BEFORE attempting anything with the olders. It is nice that I have 4 children, usually I can convince one of them to play with the toddler while I work with the others. He really just wants to be involved. I tell myself we are all learning patience!

If you want developmental montessori activities for 2's I have founbd the Table of Contents of the NAMC manuals helpful:
NAMC Two's Manual A
NAMC Two's Manual B

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

montessori_lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2008 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote montessori_lori

Save the presentations for naptime! Same with any work that uses tiny pieces. Also, keeping them apart (different rooms) - have the older children work as independently as possible and only come to you when they have a problem. Stay with the younger one(s) - they need direction the most.
Back to Top View montessori_lori's Profile Search for other posts by montessori_lori

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Holly Pierlot, of A Mother's Rule of Life posted a list of   
Little Ones Activities that she used while working with her older children. It's in the comments section, so let me know if the link doesn't work.

I'm also constantly changing what we do and when, to correspond with naptime.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2008 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

This morning I put JackJack in the tub with the warm water dribbling and sprayed shaving cream on the tile wall. He had a blast for a long time!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2008 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

lapazfarm wrote:
This morning I put JackJack in the tub with the warm water dribbling and sprayed shaving cream on the tile wall. He had a blast for a long time!

Yes! We've done that too! Fingerpaints, shaving cream, cups, strainers, whatever you can think of. And, then the rest of us just sit our little tushies down in the hallway and go to it!
"Schoolhouse in the Hallway"?
"Schoolhouse in the Bathroom"?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2008 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I totally think we'll be schooling in the bathroom a lot. I always get a big sigh of relief when he's in the tub. Having him contained to a 2x5 foot space is oh-so-nice. Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to print them up and make them into a big master list in my planner.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 2:49am | IP Logged Quote Erin

AndreaG wrote:

If you want developmental montessori activities for 2's I have founbd the Table of Contents of the NAMC manuals helpful:
NAMC Two's Manual A
NAMC Two's Manual B

Andrea
Would these be too advanced for a 19month old?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 31 2008 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Erin, I want to clarify that I don't own the manuals, I just use the free Table of Contents for ideas of developmentally appropriate activities.
The links I gave are for the Two's manual, there is also a "Toddler" manual for 1-year-olds and an infant manual.
My own children seem to vary, sometimes the things listed for their age seem above them, sometimes too easy. I try to see where they are at and build on that.
I am surprised with montessori what is introduced to such young children, I never would have thought my 16 month old could handle a regular cup (as opposed to a sippy cup) or setting the table, but he can! Of course a bit clumsily I do stick with plastic cups, I'm not montessori enough to give him glass.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I don't know if you still use a high chair/feeding seat. I strap my little one in sometimes and let her color or glue things to paper (macaroni, buttons, pompons, googly eyes). She also enjoys working on simple wooden puzzles (numbers, abc's, shapes).

My older dd is also very sensitive to sound and distraction (something two-year-olds are notorious for), so I am not above popping on an episode of Dora or Blues Clues from the DVR for my little one while we go over our lesson or activity.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version