Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Warm Socks? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Ever since we got back from the March for Life the other day, I've been pondering the purchase of new warm socks for my clan. My feet were the warmest ever at the March this year. Mostly due to the purchase of new Lands End Squall boots last year and finding my old wool ski socks. My children didn't fare quite so well.

So, can anyone -especially you ladies from up North! - recommend some reasonably priced, REALLY WARM socks for the whole family? Wool? What about UnderArmour? Any advice on the best way to layer?

I went to the Sierra Trading Post site, but got overwhelmed. I need some direction!

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Not time to link but Smart Wool are great and not at all scratch. I'm sure they are at Sierra.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

I do not know where my alpaca socks were purchased, they were a gift, but they are the warmest, toastiest, most pampering thing I own.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

You could always make 'em!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

smartwool.. just do a search at Sierratrading post

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

Mary G wrote:

Ditto!!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

8kids4me wrote:
Mary G wrote:

Ditto!!

Honestly, with a thick wool or even a wool/acrylic like Lion Brand's Wool-Ease Chunky, you can whip up a pair fairly quickly and they are definitely warm and cozy ... on #11 needles they go together REALLY FAST!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Mary G wrote:

Honestly, with a thick wool or even a wool/acrylic like Lion Brand's Wool-Ease Chunky, you can whip up a pair fairly quickly and they are definitely warm and cozy ... on #11 needles they go together REALLY FAST!

Wow, Mary! I'd love a pattern if you can link to one! I got a sock pattern book from my in-laws for Christmas & have been wanting to make some.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Ditto for me Mary. I would love a quick knit up pattern for socks (I am just sewing up my first Irish Knit sweater that I posted about a while back.... so am ready for a new project for my bag (although, inevitabely there are a few there already!)

I have just the good old thermal socks from Mountain Equipment Coop (but I am sure you could get them anywhere) for my kids. They are synthetic. But at -30 they are not usually out long enough for their toes to get too cold

I had just asked this same question about socks to some of my friends as my sister in law drives a bus and was complaining of cold feet. He recommended the Smart Wool of the INGENIOUS socks ( he prefers the second and has a pair he has worn for years). Neither are cheap, but both are quite durable.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Mary G wrote:
8kids4me wrote:
Mary G wrote:

Ditto!!

You know, that thought went through my head when I saw the prices of some of the wool socks online! I learned some very basic knitting as a child, but have never really made anything. Can I teach myself enough to make some socks??? I saw Mary Chris knitting something for a special someone with a January birthday recently, so I know I have someone to turn to for a basic knitting refresher course. As you say, they would be rather quick to make, but can I really figure out how to knit in a tube shape and end up with the shape of a sock?

Mary, if you want to post a sock tutorial at the homemaking forum, I'd be willing to give it a try!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

the smartwool do hold up very well.. the fact that I've had to hunt down my kids and "steal" the socks off their feet because they'd worn the same pair so long should tell you how comfy they are.. never had to do that with cheap socks

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

If wool socks or alternatives aren't available, or if you find they're not affordable for the entire family, you could try a trick we did when I was young....it works like a charm! Put plastic bags over socks, inside your boots...the bags insulate and really keep your feet toasty and dry! We used bread bags when I was a girl (this was long before the plastic bag explosion we have now). We simply recycle those flimsy grocery bags that aren't worth much, except to multiply themselves as soon as they reach your home :) Recently, we went walking on one of those subzero days...my feet and legs were the only part of me that didn't feel the sting of the bitter cold, in spite of the fact that I was heavily bundled and even wearing double gloves. I think the plastic acts as an insulator...try it, you'll be quite surprised! If fashion conscious children balk, simply teach them to tuck the bags inside their snowpants, keeping ankles dry and unexposed, or tuck the bags back down inside their boots, or even layer a second pair of socks over the bags :) If this 50+ mama can wear them with skirts and all, then it's not all that bad!

For ladies who wear skirts and find the airflow chilly "down under", try looking for warmer knit or wool skirts to wear as slips. I've found several (at Goodwill) that are too clingy or thin to wear normally, but they provide great insulation as slips. I also have some thin leggings that I layer over tights, and then add a pair of warm socks. If all the layers are thin you don't end up looking like the Michelin tire man, but it is definitely more cozy when venturing outdoors in skirts!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

teachingmom wrote:
Mary, if you want to post a sock tutorial at the homemaking forum, I'd be willing to give it a try!
Ladies, give me a few hours and I'll post a pretty straight forward, thick sock pattern in "Our Lady's Loom" ...

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

The Smart Wools can be expensive, though. We got some just like them (super warm, longwearing, soft/not scratchy) at Costco. They were bundled 3 pairs for the usual price of one pair of SW. The brand was "Head". I've also seen some that look to be SW-type (but not brand) at WalMart with the work clothes and/or hunting clothes.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Mary,

I am looking forward to your tutorial! Socks intimidate me. There are so many cool sock yarns out in stores that look so fun to knit. Thanks for doing this!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mary G wrote:
teachingmom wrote:
Ladies, give me a few hours and I'll post a pretty straight forward, thick sock pattern in "Our Lady's Loom" ...

OK ladies, it's been a few hours and I'm nowhere close to posting a tutorial ... but I will post a quick sock pattern (for men and women) and then a tutorial will be done this weekend and posted (God willing) on Monday ... will that work for y'all?

The great benefit to doing socks on 11s is that the knitting is fast and you do all the concepts of creating a sock with out having to mess with 60+ stitches ...

Off to Our Lady's Loom to post a sock pattern!

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote mavmama

Irene, You CAN fo it! Socks were the second thing I ever knit. Dh's grandmother asked me "Oh! Didn't the heel turning give you fits? That's where most people have trouble." Thank heavens for ignorance--I just followed along in the directions and watched the heel turn. I didn't know it was supposed to be "hard."
Oh no. Now I've tainted your thinking about heel turning

Really, I say go for it!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 25 2008 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Looking forward to your tutorial, Mary! The only socks I've made were called "Joan's Socks" (if you google I'm sure it will turn out) and my mom is still using those, 9 years later... It would be nice to try out something on #11's. Thanks!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2008 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mary G wrote:
Mary G wrote:
teachingmom wrote:

OK ladies, it's been a few hours and I'm nowhere close to posting a tutorial ... but I will post a quick sock pattern (for men and women) and then a tutorial will be done this weekend and posted (God willing) on Monday ... will that work for y'all?

The great benefit to doing socks on 11s is that the knitting is fast and you do all the concepts of creating a sock with out having to mess with 60+ stitches ...

Off to Our Lady's Loom to post a sock pattern!
Well, it's the next day and I STILL haven't posted my sock pattern. Life sometimes just gets in the way!

For those who are interested, it's done with Lion Brand's Wool-ease Chunky which is an acrylic/wool blend that really makes cozy socks! You'll need a set of #8 DPNS (not 11's as I first mentioned, sorry) and 2 skeins of the yarn will make either a pair for men or a pair for women.

I'm out the door (again!) but will post this evening (before the boards close ).

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Well, after a few show-stoppers at home, I finally got the warm sock tutorial and the actual quick and thick sox pattern posted on my knitting blog last night.

Give it a shot -- I think you'll be surprised how easy it is to knit socks!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version