Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: The Mitten (& other mitten books) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 08 2008 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jan Brett

Keywords: Ukraine mitten winter snow cold knitting wool mole hedgehog rabbit owl badge fox bear camouflage exploring

Amazon link

This is likely a well-known book to many (though no one said we were aiming for new or unknown books) but I just read Jenn's blog post on this book and thought her idea for a mini mitten unit was great. It is an adaptation of a Ukranian folktale. We love this book, too. There are many cute ideas in Jenn's post and in the homeschool share unit she links to. One thing we have done with a larger group for storytime is to act out the story using a large sleeping bag for the stretching mitten. Very fun. There are some really cute crafts which involve mittens as well. And there is always knitting!

-Mitten card holder
-Mitten gift card holder

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2008 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MaryM wrote:
And there is always knitting!

Ok, now see if I'd posted about this, I would have put knitting first ! Here's a link to the hat and stocking I designed/made last year for Kim F.'s baby from Jan Brett's The Hat. Just thought you'd like to see an example of how you can incorporate knitting into ANYTHING -- especially Jan Brett books!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

LOL I love it, Mary! And the hat and stocking are precious.

I love Jan Brett's books.   

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Aw, thanks, MaryM. We're on day 3 of enthusiasm. I printed out the masks on colored cardstock and he's just thrilled with them.

Mary G., I kept thinking what was missing out these units was a simple pattern for a knitted mitten, even if it was just a one side flat in the shape of a mitten, just something to work knitting into the story.

Cay added a comment that was right along my thoughts, to do "Three Little Kittens". I have one of those old Puppet Storybooks with the 3D hologram covers (like this), pictures by T. Izawa and S. Hijikata. Anyone else have those?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I also wanted to add that Nissa had a nice crochet mitten pattern that was easy and cute.

And since the Ukrainian story had red felt lining and a leather with fur trim mitten, felting and sewing with leather would be fun to do. I'm not doing any at this time because I'm not running out to get supplies.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

JennGM wrote:
Mary G., I kept thinking what was missing out these units was a simple pattern for a knitted mitten, even if it was just a one side flat in the shape of a mitten, just something to work knitting into the story.

Jenn,
I actually emailed Jan Brett, suggesting a knitting book based on her patterns and she said she wasn't interested. She has so much knitting in ALL her books it seemed a great idea but alas!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Has anyone read this book? Buying Mittens

It was recently recommended to me and does look cute.

And this looks like a sweet Math go-along book for learning about odd and even numbers: Missing Mittens

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

OK, I'm so lazy, I'm not retyping all the links, but I thought I'd let you know that I just posted about some mitten/winter books we read today and thoroughly enjoyed! Also, toward the bottom of the post, I show some pictures of the easy mittens we made.

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Hooray! Thank you Mary! We are reading Jan Brett's The Mitten this week and your post will be so helpful.

Sarah
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Oh, thank you, I really need some easy craft ideas right now!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 1:21am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Adding a recent version of this story retold by Jim Aylesworth and illustrated by by Barbara McClintock - The Mitten.

Our Domestic Church

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

I love this thread!

* Homeschool share has unit study on The Mitten with great crafts and information about the Ukraine.

* Another great mitten book is Too Many Mittens by Florence Slobodkin - published in 1958 but still available this great book tells the story of twin boys who lose a pair of red mittens. Everyone in the town finds out and every time a red mitten is found it is delivered to the twin's house. Realizing that not all of the mittens belong to them, they put up a lost mitten line in their yard where people who have lost a red mitten can come and reclaim it.

* For learning about sizes or just for fun winter decorating, trace every member of the family's hand on a piece of felt and cut it out. Hang a piece of string/twine like a clothes line and attach the "mittens" to it with miniature clothes pins. My kids liked to take the mittens down and rehang them (great small motor work) and stack them on top of one another from largest - smallest and smallest-largest.

I can't wait to do "Mitten Week" with my youngest in February. Thanks for all the great ideas.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Another one: The Mitten Tree

Cute story of a lonely older woman who starts knitting mittens for children at the bus stop she sees without mittens. She leaves them hanging in a tree each morning. Great story for knitters ...

Our Domestic Church

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MaryM wrote:
Another one: The Mitten Tree

Cute story of a lonely older woman who starts knitting mittens for children at the bus stop she sees without mittens. She leaves them hanging in a tree each morning. Great story for knitters ...
Thanks MaryM!

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

My little ladies love The Mitten book; but, according to them, there is a "scary page" ~ when the big bear sneezes AAAACHOOOO, he makes a scary-sneezy face. They hide their faces under their blankets while I read this page, and once I turn the page, they emerge, with smiles for the rest of the story .

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2015 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Mitten String (Jennifer Rosner)

This is a really sweet story. Has several themes: knitting, wool, spinning, deafness, sign language, mothers, babies, generosity, creativity.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version