Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Breakfast ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I get my whole grains from the bulk section of the health food store.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

~Rachel~ wrote:
baked beans (Heinz variety which I can't find over here)

Rachel,

Is this the right type of beans?

My daughter, who is recently taken with all things British (thanks to Dr Who ) wants to know if this is what it means when she hears "beans on toast"? Baked beans? (and for breakfast?)

Smiles,

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Laura... thats them

Beans on toast.

Toast ONE side of the bread, while heating the beans on the stove top (or hob in England ).
Flip toast over (you'll need the toaster over or main oven for this dish) and spread the beans over the top. Now either top with cheese or leave as is, and toast until the top side is browned or the beans are bubbly (or if you added cheese, until it has melted). About 1-2 mins. Voila! Beans on toast!

By the way I LOVE Dr. Who... is she watching the newest series or the older ones?

And yes, baked beans are a breakfast item. While at uni the Student Union food bar would sell breakfast:
sausage, eggs, beans on toast and tea or coffee
Dad works at a uni and they had the same thing there!
At home we'd add fried (sauteed really) mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and bacon and take the beans out BUT this was for special occasions only!

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

~Rachel~ wrote:
By the way I LOVE Dr. Who... is she watching the newest series or the older ones?

Thank you so much for explaining - she is going to love this!

Re: Doctor Who - she got interested when her dad & I started watching the new ones. But now she is watching all the older ones that we can find on netflix too.

(I think she is quite smitten with David Tennant )
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Laura... my teenage sisters think he is 'hot' too
I am glad I could help re beans on toast. I was informed once, that it was NOT something American's eat... much to my astonishment. It was only a few months back, so my ignorance had lasted 8 years of being over here

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

You all might like this book. We have it and I never "got it" because I had never heard of eating beans this way...until now!   

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 12:43am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

We are oatmeal people (7yos would much prefer cereal but it is too pricey for the better stuff).

Our list would be....

Oatmeal (most mornings with the toast alternative for oatmeal haters!)

Eggs and Toast

Pancakes

FYI my son is also a no breakfast food type. He likes garlic fried up with rice or any leftover dinner for breakfast!!

In Finland for breakfast we often ate bread and toppings (in Norway too!)- the toppings being berries, thinly shaved meats, cucumbers, and great European cheese (how I miss that cheese )

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Oh yes, can't forget about the Nugatti in Norway: like Nutella but with crisp rice in it as well!! (But we ate it on super hearty homemade bread, similar to mine, so it couldn't be all bad )

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

We have a weekly rhythm for breakfast in our family and in many german families.
M-F cereals, granola and oats with milk and fruit
     coffee, tea... my dh eats bread sometimes instead.

Saturday we eat fresh crusty rolls from the bakery with sliced meats and cheese, jam, nutella...

Sunday, the table is set with our sunday dishes and silver and we eat toast with sliced ham or cheese or jam, honey..... and a soft boiled egg.

So breakfast is not something that I have to think too much about. I do make pancakes(recipe from The Joy of Cooking)with maple syrup(available almost everywhere in Germany) on occasion for a light supper, as lunch is our main meal.

I guess I should also add that it is a german habit to have a midday snack : Brotzeit!
which may include a sandwich or fruit...which is prepared at breakfast time and packed up to go. This might explain the lack of a "substantial" breakfast.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

we eat a variety of foods for breakfast, especially a protein. We use tuna, either in cheese/tuna quesadillas, or tuna patties or even tuna salad on toast with melted cheese. We also eat egg salad sandwiches, or grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. My girls love pancakes and waffles, I love bacon and sausage (trying to get around all those chemicals though, I've cut back). I love biscuits and gravy, but don't make them that often. We make scrambled eggs with cheese and milk added, served on a piece of toast. Baked oatmeal and stovetop oatmeal, and that rounds out our breakfasts.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Red Cardigan wrote:
Oooh, so not a breakfast/morning/daylight person! I think my kids have been making their own breakfasts since they were weaned. (Okay, kidding, but they did start early!)

This is me exactly! Breakfast is my least favorite meal of the day.

I always feel guilty when I read threads here about breakfast routines. With the exception of times when I have had a baby just learning to eat solid food, my kids have breakfasted independently for years. That's my time for showering, getting ready for the day, putting away laundry that was folded late the night before, and praying. It may make me a bad mom , but it sure makes my daughters very capable in the kitchen from a young age.   

Favorites around here are:
fruit (along with something else more filling)
bagels with cream cheese or butter or peanut butter
frozen waffles with peanut butter and syrup (yum!)
leftovers from dinner reheated in the microwave
toast with peanut butter
cinnamon toast
eggs (rarely)
cold cereal (very rarely)
homemade crepes with brown sugar (I usually make this one as a favorite treat reserved mainly for special occasions like birthdays)

In my house, pancakes are a dinner food for nights when Daddy has to work really late and I can't face cooking a real meal.

And I have to share a breakfast cereal discovery I made recently. I don't care for cereal much. One reason is that I really dislike having it become a bowlful of soggy mush if it is not eaten quickly. I happened to read a glowing recommendation in Costco's magazine for their Kirkland Signature Organic Raisin Bran. One of the things the writer raved about was how the cereal held up in milk and stayed very crunchy. They said they liked it much more than the Post brand. The next time I was in Costco, I decided to give it a try. Well, I completely concur with the writer's assessment. It's delicious and somehow the flakes maintain their shape in milk and don't get the least bit soggy. I highly recommend it!

Kathryn UK wrote:
Just remembered an article I read today ... apparently some recent research found that those middle aged people who ate the largest proportion of their daily calories at breakfast put on the least weight.

I remember learning back in high school that someone did a study in which half the participants switched what they ate for dinner with what they ate for breakfast. For example, they might have a hamburger, salad, and corn first thing in the morning and a bagel and fruit at dinner time. The others ate the exact same foods, but at the normal times. Those who ate their dinners first thing in the morning lost weight. There were no other differences in the two groups. Interesting!

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

since you ladies have been so helpful to my meal planning this week, I thought I'd contribute to this old thread...

banana sundaes out a house favorite
cut up banana topped with
yogurt (any kind)
granola of choice (we like Cascadian farm oats and honey (w/ or w/o raisins, pending the kid)
whipped cream (don't forget to let a little one recieve a straight shot in the mouth )
and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips

this is actually very filling. even my oldest can't eat more than 2 topped bananas.
I leave the chips and cream off of mine.

and we are Dr. Who fans too so we'll just have to try that beans on toast!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

teachingmom wrote:

I remember learning back in high school that someone did a study in which half the participants switched what they ate for dinner with what they ate for breakfast. For example, they might have a hamburger, salad, and corn first thing in the morning and a bagel and fruit at dinner time. The others ate the exact same foods, but at the normal times. Those who ate their dinners first thing in the morning lost weight. There were no other differences in the two groups. Interesting!

Isn't the English saying that you Breakfast like kings, lunch like lords, and dine like paupers?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Mari

Only one thing to say - if we don't eat proteins in our breakfast, our whole morning is full of visits to the kitchen

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 6:04am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I just had to pop back over here to say that Joelle's French Toast Casserole (from page one of this thread) is sooooo wonderful!!! I made it Thursday evening and served it Friday morning and everyone raved. It was so easy, and the flavor reminds me of a cross between traditional french toast and a cheese danish. I followed the recipe exactly, the 45 minute cook time was perfect, and the recipe served 8 of us generous portions (and some of us seconds ) with about 1/4 of it left over. Thanks Joelle!

Pamin OZ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 3:48am | IP Logged Quote Pamin OZ

Here's my contribution to the breakfast world:

When I make French toast for my toddler, I put the maple syrup in with the egg and milk (though I use water for dietary reasons.) This means that the bread is able to be eaten with fingers and isn't sticky. Actually, it's become my preferred way to cook it and would make a great "make and freeze" breakfast.

Also, whoever wanted a recipe using leftover porridge- sorry, oatmeal!- try googling Laine's Letters and when you get to the website go to the recipe section and look for her muffin recipes. One has a cup of leftover oatmeal as part of the recipe. I think I've only made it once but it was very good, as are all the recipes of hers that I've tried.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/paminoz/
Back to Top View Pamin OZ's Profile Search for other posts by Pamin OZ

Barbara R.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 05 2008 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara R.

I cook oatmeal in the microwave, 1 cup milk to 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal. I use 2 or 3 cups of milk in an 8 cup pyrex pitcher since it boils WAY up. If I need more, it's faster and safer to cook it on the stove (with plenty of stirring), and I still cook it in all milk.

What do I make with leftover oatmeal? More oatmeal! It solidifies in the fridge, but reheats really well with some extra milk added to get the desired texture. Or if I need a larger amount, I'll cook the day's batch and add the leftover near the end of cooking. Simple!
Back to Top View Barbara R.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara R. Visit Barbara R.'s Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Martha

easy faux cinnamon rolls

don't know the real name of this
a friend brought this over, but I didn't get the recipe from her so I winged it to make my own version

spread either orange marmalade or applesauce thickly on the bottom of buttered pan

on top of that place tightly together 2 or 3 cans of uncooked Grands-like butter buttermilk biscuts (I get the genereric ones or you could make your own)

in a bowl mix together 1 - 2 sticks of melted butter, 1 cup packed brown sugar, and 1/8 cup cinnamon (less if using cinnamon applesauce)

pour mixture over biscuts. it will cover them and look like way too much, but it isn't.

place in oven for recommended time on biscut pkg or
375 for 30 minutes

best served hot

*It's hard for me to give recipes for anything smaller than my resturant sized roasting pan. lol I use the larger amounts for it, you will probably need to use the smaller amounts for 9x13 pan.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Oatmeal bake

This is similiar to another version (found here? or by one of you kind ladies?), but friend above walked out of my house with the only printed copy so I had to go from memory. We were plesantly surprised to have it come out better than before! I guess I'm even with friend above now. lol

blend 2 c. cinnamon applesauce with 1c. packed brown sugar
blend in 4 eggs
blend in 1 c. milk and 1 1/2 tbsp baking soda
slowly add in 4 c. uncooked oatmeal
pour into butterred 9x13 pan
refrigerate overnight
bake 35 minutes at 350

best served warm with a pat of butter on top, but pretty good cold too.

This is the only recipe I've been able to feed my family off of one 9x13 pan's worth in years. The kids love it, but are full until lunch off just 2 squares.

mandmsmom2001
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote mandmsmom2001

Several posts back, someone mentioned oatmeal in the crock pot. I have done this with success. Large families will be able to use a full size crock; smaller portions would work better in a small crock or split crock. (I have two crocks that go into my pot - one is split into 2 sections so you can make 2 diffent things at the same time. I make my oatmeal in this and cook apple slices with cinnamon or applesauce in the other side.)

Butter crockpot.
Place desired amount of steel cut oats and water/milk needed (usually 1 cup oats to 2 cups water) in the crock.
Add dash of salt.
Cover and cook on low over night (last thing you do before bed).
Oats will be done in the morning. Stir an "crust" into the oats - it will disappear.

I've done this with old fashioned oats by having DH pour water into the crock of dry oats and turning it on as he heads out for work (we leaves very early and we are not up yet).
Back to Top View mandmsmom2001's Profile Search for other posts by mandmsmom2001

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version