Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Breakfast ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

lapazfarm wrote:
Oh, how interesting! I wonder if anyone knows of any other breakfast traditions around the world? I'd love to work that into our geography studies!

Full English breakfast - which to me would mean fried eggs, fried bacon, fried bread, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms and a sausage or two. Think hungry hobbits . The closest we ever come at home is eggs, baked beans, mushrooms and hash browns, which is probably as well for our figures.

Another English breakfast tradition is smoked fish, either kippers (smoked herring) or smoked haddock. Again I never cook these for breakfast, though dh likes kippers and we sometimes eat them for tea on Saturdays. It depends if I can face the smell for the next 24 hours

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Just remembered an article I read today ... apparently some recent research found that those middle aged people who ate the largest proportion of their daily calories at breakfast put on the least weight.

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Yes, Katherine, I was wondering about the baked beans. At home we had lots of pancakes, waffles, and French Toast. Over here, this does not seem to be an item on the menu. I cannot find pancake/waffle syrup in the stores. But I do find a hugh variety of baked beans.

My dd loves baked (jacket) potatoes. In the states, she eats them with cheese, sour cream and butter (and occasionally bacon). But we have found them served with ... baked beans. She says it is really good! Dh remembers eating grilled tomatoes with breakfast (years ago) and has requested them again.

Guess I better get ready for brunch tomorrow. We will be having fried eggs, Cumberland sausage, toast, and grilled tomatoes (but no pancakes). It is so hard to make everyone happy!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I wouldn't say that what we eat for breakfast is much different from any of the suggestions here. However, I do apply a few principles:

1. There must be both carbs (usually a bread) and protein in reasonable amounts. Everyone drinks a full cup of water and may have fruit if they want.

2. We make our breakfast menu before we grocery shop, so only one week at a time, but there is a menu to avoid waste.

3. Adults are allowed to break the rules.

It's a balance between being too rigid and letting people feed themselves things that won't "stick."

I have to say, I'm in general not huge on American eating habits or cuisine, but I do love breakfast. Especially coffee.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2008 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Carole --

We were able to find maple syrup in Sainsbury's in England. Don't know how remote your part of Wales is! You might try golden syrup, though it's really not the same.

Smoked fish makes me think of one of my favorite English breakfasts, though I've only ever had it in Bath: smoked salmon on scrambled eggs. My family thought I was insane for liking this, but I do.

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2008 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

German breakfast is wonderful, too (thinking of Theresa's breakfast geography study here). Lots of different kinds of bread, mostly crusty and hard, especially to American tastes, and very seedy, with cheese or very thin ham. And Nutella . . . speaking of eating treats for breakfast!

Carole -- if you haven't discovered this already, pancakes in England are quite different from American/Canadian ones: they're very thin, like crepes, and eaten with a sprinkling of lemon juice and powdered sugar, on Shrove Tuesday, mainly. That may be one reason why it's hard to find pancake syrup!

Sally

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 3:16am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Dear Carole, I have found the place for maple syrup to be Asda - they always have it, in the row with the dessert sauces (they also stock fake maple-flavour syrup etc, and it is very reasonably priced (for maple syrup!) - I tend to go and buy at least 10 bottles a time :o)
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 3:46am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Yes, I did discover maple syrup at Asda. But my dd loves the fake stuff. Although I love maple syrup on my pancakes, the children are used to the other.

And yes, I have discovered that about the pancakes. We purchased some already prepared from Somerfields as well as a prepared mix (not Bisquick or Pioneer)! What we are used to is an American pancake so we will have to wait for recipes. I have a really wonderful recipe that should be on its way.

And I am not saying that the pancakes were unacceptable ... they are just not what the children are used to.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Thought I'd share my all-time favorite quicky pancake~

Puffed Pancake
(the souffle wannabe according to Family Fun Cookbook)

3 TBLS butter
3 eggs
2/3 c milk
3/4 flour
1/2 tsp vanilla

Confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 450, melt butter in 9" pie pan in the oven (watch it doesn't burn) Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and milk, then flour until combined, add vanilla. Remove pan from oven and pour in mixture and cook on low shelf for 20 minutes.

It is so easy and soooo pretty when it comes out. I fill the middle with strawberries or some other kind of fruit and sprinkle a bit of powder sugar on. I triple the recipe for my family and use 3 pie pans.

Sausage is pretty easy to fry up along with this pancake.

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

I have a list in my planner in the Kitchen section, that includes most of the things already mentioned.

Fried potatoes (left over baked potatoes)
English muffins
Fresh bread
bagels w/ pnb or cream cheese
Eggs and hash browns
pancakes
Waffles
Crepes with cream cheese and fresh fruit
omlet (we do green peppers, onions, mushrooms & either turkey bacon or ham to put in the omlet)
Biscuits and gravy
Egg and cheese biscuit
oatmeal
farina
quiche
Peanut butter on toast w/syrup (the kids love this one)
fruit smoothies
yogurt & granola
granola bars (home-made)
scrambled eggs and sausage
Muffins
Breakfast burrito

Thank you all for sharing your lists. I'm going to add them to my planner page!!

Ouiz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote Ouiz

hmmmm. I'm so totally surprised I haven't seen listed yet what is a standard breakfast here in our household:

Bagels... but with a twist...

We make them with a slice of deli meat, slice of provolone cheese, a little bit of oregano sprinkled on top (and if it's for me, I put sliced tomatoes on under the cheese as well). Broil them until the cheese is slightly brown, and you've got the breakfast of champions right there. FAST, lots of protein, and the kids LOVE them. If I eat this for breakfast, I will be able to function all morning without snacking. This is the standard "before Mass" breakfast, and is also served once or twice during the week.

We also make cheese toast (bread, sprinkle grated colby jack on top, broil until cheese is slightly brown)... Stove toast (melt butter in a frying pan and cook bread on one side only.)

Being the transplanted New Englander I am, all breakfast is served with tea or, in the case of the kids, "tea-milk."

Now if we want to pull the old "breakfast for supper" routine, THAT'S when I fix the traditional eggs/sausage/grits sort of thing. (mmmm. Grits...)

Chez Ouiz
Back to Top View Ouiz's Profile Search for other posts by Ouiz Visit Ouiz's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2008 at 5:29am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Carole N. wrote:
Yes, I did discover maple syrup at Asda. But my dd loves the fake stuff. Although I love maple syrup on my pancakes, the children are used to the other.

And yes, I have discovered that about the pancakes. We purchased some already prepared from Somerfields as well as a prepared mix (not Bisquick or Pioneer)! What we are used to is an American pancake so we will have to wait for recipes. I have a really wonderful recipe that should be on its way.

And I am not saying that the pancakes were unacceptable ... they are just not what the children are used to.

Carole, the only place I know where you can buy American style pancake mix is Costco. I don't know how far you would have to go to find a Costco ... just Googled it and it looks as though the nearest is Bristol. May be worth the occasional trek as they do sell a lot of American stuff. If you have major pancake cravings there is always MacDonalds, where you can get pancakes, syrup and American style sausage .

Did you look in ice cream / dessert sauces in Asda? That is where you would find the fake maple syrup.

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2008 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Everyone loves Costco, but I have never lived near one! There is a Asda close by, but I did not find the fake syrup ... only the real thing. I will have to check it out again.

As far as the sausage goes, I love the sausage over here. It is so tasty. Thanks for the advice on Mickey D's, but it never ranked high on my list of places to visit for a meal (although my dc love it).

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Ouiz wrote:
hmmmm. I'm so totally surprised I haven't seen listed yet what is a standard breakfast here in our household:

Bagels... but with a twist...

We make them with a slice of deli meat, slice of provolone cheese, a little bit of oregano sprinkled on top (and if it's for me, I put sliced tomatoes on under the cheese as well). Broil them until the cheese is slightly brown, and you've got the breakfast of champions right there. FAST, lots of protein, and the kids LOVE them. If I eat this for breakfast, I will be able to function all morning without snacking. This is the standard "before Mass" breakfast, and is also served once or twice during the week.

My favorite breakfast is a whole wheat english muffin with fried egg, ham & cheese, especially when I'm pregnant.

A few mentioned burning oatmeal on the stove top. I make our oatmeal the night before by boiling the water in a large pot & then throwing in the ingredients (cut-up apples, old-fashioned oatmeal, powdered milk, raisins, flax seed, cinnamon, brown sugar). After stirring the whole mixture, I turn off the flame and then put a cover on the pot. The next morning, I add a little milk & heat it up. The consistency is perfect!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I second Sue Gregg's blender batter pancakes mentioned (though, I use butter in them rather than olive oil).

Another great soaked grain recipe is baked oatmeal. It is SO yummy, and though its a bit of extra time the morning you make it, I make a lot of it and it keeps well and is good the second and third day.

Baked Oatmeal

4-5 cups oatmeal (soaked overnight in about 1-2 cups yogurt or kefir, plus 1-2 cups warmish water)
4 eggs
1 cup sweetner of choice (can use less)
3/4 cup oil (can use less)
1-2 cups milk
2 tsp. vanilla (optional)
1 TB cinnamon
1 TB baking powder
1-2 cups fresh, frozen, or dried fruit, such as blueberries, strawberries, cherries, raisins, cranberries, rhubarb, etc.

1. Soak oatmeal overnight in yogurt or kefir. In the morning, preheat oven to 350F.

2. Combine eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla, cinnamon and baking powder. Mix well. Add milk (start with the smaller amount, and adjust to get the consistency you like), and mix again. Add fruit, and mix again.

3. Add oatmeal to egg mixture, and mix well.

4. Pour mixture into a 9" X 13" pan. Bake at 350F for about 1 hr., or until set. You can bake it on a lower temp. for longer, or a higher temp. for less time, if necessary. I've done it both ways.

5. Serve warm with yogurt, cream, milk, or applesauce. Very good cold, or reheated.

The amounts listed are flexible. This is pretty free-form, so it's never really quite the same. It's always very good, though. Feel free to experiment. It comes out quite custardy, and sooo yummy!

I always soak my grains; so, a slowcooker recipe isn't really up my alley, but I've heard that Alton Brown has a great overnight slowcooker oatmeal recipe for those who would like to wake up to it already prepared.

Though, I must say, soaked oatmeal "sticks" longer than unsoaked. My husband is always hungry again after eating unsoaked oats, but when we soak them, he's good until lunch.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

KackyK wrote:
Oh and Jodie...could you share your oatmeal bar recipe...sounds yummy and I have one ds who loves that sort of "quick breakfast"? Thanks!

Yes, please do! I really could use some breakfast bar recipes ...

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

We have a baked oatmeal recipe we like alot too.
How about leftover oatmeal? Any suggestions? Sometimes but not always) when I make plain oatmeal we have leftovers. I'd hate to throw it away, but I'm at a loss as to what to do with it.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Wow, there are some great ideas here
I miss the full on English breakfast... DH hates tomatoes, eggs and mushrooms, so I never make it.
I used to eat sausages, baked beans (Heinz variety which I can't find over here) bacon and toast. Admittedly that was special occasion food

Now Dh is on a kick where he thinks bread is evil (OK he thinks it makes him put on weight), he wont eat oatmeal and he is not a granola bar kind of person!
is there ANYTHING anyone else suggests for this kind of picky picky eater? Maybe I should just let him have the toaster Strudels and we'll eat something else

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

And I meant to add that Tate & Lyle's golden syrup is great on pancakes (or flapjacks as the case may be ).

It is quite funny seeing the differences in culture first hand

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

SuzanneG wrote:
I highly recommend Sue Gregg's Breakfast cookbook. You can preview the book on-line .

I'm just wondering where to buy the ingredients she suggests like Kamut grain?

Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version