Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Need a good Catholic Calendar Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

For the second year in a row, my Church has not provided a calendar. Any suggestions?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I meant to post this suggestion in the recent planners thread.
This calendar from Family Centered Press is my favorite.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Jennifer, what size are you looking for - wall, desk or pocket?

I saw an ad for this one in Faith & Family. I like how it's the size of those tiny ones you can buy at the drugstore, but obviously, much lovelier and Catholic.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

My favorite Catholic wall calender is one from Tan. It is usually called Mary and the Saints or something like that. For each day it lists all the new feasts, traditional, and historical feasts as well. My children and I look at is on a daily basis and the pictures are usually very nice as well.

You can get it from All Catholic Books

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CUF has a lovely one, this year based on icons. It's free for members. 2008 Calendar.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

A few more:

Not illustrated, and this is a larger, planning calendar (put on fridge) The Catholic Planning Calendar 2008

There's a free calendar (the download is now fixed) from here which has all the feasts, has scenic pictures, but there is no differentiation of different ranks of days.

And the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception also has some nice calendars (there are two choices in the sidebar).

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Dawn wrote:
Jennifer, what size are you looking for - wall, desk or pocket?

I saw an ad for this one in Faith & Family. I like how it's the size of those tiny ones you can buy at the drugstore, but obviously, much lovelier and Catholic.

I'm looking for wall size. Great sites! I'm going to check out the one you can download too.

Thank you!

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

My husband has made our wall calendar for the second year now. It is 11x17 cardstock, coil bound (Kinko's did the printing and binding, I think). I don't know how he does it, but he's got it automated with feast days going in their proper spots, etc. He even puts in recurring events, including birthdays and anniversaries. Ours is black and white without any pictures; but, I really like it. It gives us space to write and relieves us of the task of handwriting-in various events that happen every year, month, week, etc.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2008 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

We really love Mary and the Saints Calendar put out by TAN.

It has a very comprehensive listing of saints feasts - Old Calendar, New Calendar and Historical and the pictures are simply beautiful - this year in Sept they have the images for the seven sorrows of Our Lady which I was particularly happy to have...

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas! What to choose?    I have found myself printing out blank calenders and writing in all the feast days. This was a suggestion from my fab. sister!    

KellyJ's idea sounds more organized. Does your husband use some format you can pass on? My husband was trying to figure out how to set something up for me, but he had a hard time. He got quite frustrated because he is "the computer guy".

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

Jenn Sal wrote:
KellyJ's idea sounds more organized. Does your husband use some format you can pass on? My husband was trying to figure out how to set something up for me, but he had a hard time. He got quite frustrated because he is "the computer guy".

Let me ask him about it. He's out for most of tonight; so, it may well have to wait till later in the week.

I think he uses Excel. I'll ask him if he can give me a copy of his file without all our personal dates (leaving in the saints and other feasts of the year for you). I hope he'll also be able to throw together some brief instructions/overview for you so you can use this file this year and beyond.

I know he's just a few clicks away from a 2009 calendar already. I don't know how he does it!

Oh, a couple last things... I'm pretty sure he saves the document as a pdf (using CutePDF) for printing it out. This prevents any formatting issues when taking it to be printed. Also, if you have it printed outside your home, you may want take a single hole punch with you to punch a hanging hole in it before they coil bind it, or just take the coil binding off temporarily at home and use a hole punch or drill (that's what we use!) to put the hole in it.

I might have a moment to snap a picture of it tonight to give you an idea what it looks like. If so, I'll send you a PM.

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

I've been using the Google calendar for about 6 months, and I print it out. Not the perfect solution but I as able to input my son's school calendar for all the parents to use if they'd like. I got the Google calendar suggestion from Elizabeth, I think...

JoAnna

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

Jennifer, my husband said he can strip our calendar of our personal dates for a bare bones calendar to share with you. I have not taken a picture of the calendar yet.

FWIW, I did measure the date boxes the other day, and I *think* they're about 1.5" (or was it 1"? ) wide and a little more than 2.5" high. Also, I've mentioned that the calendar is 11x17, but it might help to know that it will fit on freezer door of a top-freezer fridge. We use a 3M-type of removable plastic hook to hang it there.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version