Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: January Composer: Duke Ellington Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

My 11-yo is requesting that Composer of the Month be Duke Ellington.

I've got two books:

Ellington Was Not A Street by Ntozake Shange

Duke Ellington: The Piano Prince and His Orchestra

I'll be back with more later.... Please post if you've got any Ellington favorites!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Cool man, that cat could jive! I'm in.

We did a little study of jazz with some picture books last spring but I would like to get more into it this year. This will be perfect.

The Pinkney book above is great. Ellington Was Not a Street book wasn't what I expected. It's interesting in regards to African-American culture and the civil rights movement, but really had little to do with Duke Ellington specifically. What do you think of it, Stef?

Here is a lesson plan from PBS Kids - Learning Through Duke

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I'm glad you said something, Mary. It was recommended by an IRL African-American friend who knew I liked Ntozake Shange's Brazil cookbook. I placed it on hold last week and dh is picking it up today. Was the civil rights movement stuff honest and accurate? Might still be useful for our history/geography study....

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2008 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The book is the illustrated version of Shange's poem, "Indigo Mood" (which btw shares a title with Ellington's composition) and is good and a worthwhile read (love the illustrations!)- just not a resource for studying Duke Ellington (except in the context of his presence among other prominent African-American's who were visitors to the Shange home). There is very little detail in the book - the text is slim. There are author's notes at the end with a brief one paragraph bio of the individuals mentioned. It doesn't specifically discuss the civil rights movement so I shouldn't have versed it that way, just includes prominent African American leaders and cultural icons as visitors in their home in a reminiscence way.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2008 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

The Homeschoolestore.com has this:

Unit study

and this

Jazz unit study

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Thank you Stef...I am so dependent on these monthly artists. Mike Venezia has a Duke Ellington book.

The library has this: Jazz A-B-Z / Wynton Marsalis and Paul Rogers.

Profiles twenty-six of the jazz greats of all time, from Count Basie to Louis Armstrong, through a review of their work, their life stories, and their greatest hits by one of today's top jazz performers. A is for "almighty" Louis Armstrong, whose amazing artistry unfolds in an accumulative poem shaped like the letter he stands for. As for sax master Sonny Rollins, whose "robust style radiates roundness," could there be a better tribute than a poetic rondeau? In an extraordinary feat, Pulitzer Prize-winning jazz composer Wynton Marsalis harmonizes his love and knowledge of jazz's most celebrated artists with an astounding diversity of poetic forms-from simple blues (Count Basie) to a complex pantoum (Charlie Parker), from a tender sonnet (Sarah Vaughan) to a performance poem snapping the rhythms of Art Blakey to life.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Thank you for all of your suggestions, Mary, Natalia and Gwen!!

I have not found the Mike Venezia book -- may have to purchase it.

The kids' favorite so far is "Daybreak Express".

And I found this from Smithsonian:

Ellington Game, Lesson Plan and Activities from Smithsonian

mom to five

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Great teamwork, everyone!

We studied jazz a bit last year, too......too bad I cannot remember what we used....and, I am not at home too look it up! I do not think we got to Duke, as we started chronologically and did not get far before we started studying the history of our trip.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Look what I got on e-mail this morning!!!

Duke Ellington—the Jazzman: A Complimentary Lecture -- from The Teaching Company!!

Sooo cool!!

mom to five

mamaboo
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 05 2008 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote mamaboo

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this inspiration to study dear ol' Duke! I've made a composer study on my blog, including some printables. Looking forward to starting next week!

Duke Ellington Composer Study Blog entry
Back to Top View mamaboo's Profile Search for other posts by mamaboo

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote julia s.

Good timing for Ellington -- after years of claasical music study I decided I wanted to go native (American sounds) and learn a new genre for me. It works out great since we're doing US history.

I'm briefly introducing ragtime (before we get into jazz) via Scott Joplin debating if the next move was going to be Louie Armstrong or Ellington I still might do Armstrong first -- must consult timeline.

Thanks for the info. here.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

I don't have much time, but my younger set likes the "Baby Loves Jazz" Series:

Duck Ellington

God bless,
Christine

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic