Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: Celebrating OL of Altagracia Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

MaryM wrote:

In the fall when I was helping Cay with the Author Fiesta for Leo Politi, I ran across a book he had illustrated, Stories from the Americas (by Frank Henius). It is a collection of short stories from Central and South American countries - one for each country. The story for the Dominican Republic is Our Lady of Alta Gracia. It's lovely and of course accompanied by one of his special illustrations. The book is oop but worth finding if you can get from library, etc.

Our County Library has this! Hopefully, it'll get here in time for next Wed......neat! Thanks for mentioning.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Helen wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would like to discuss celebrating the feast of Our Patroness, Our Lady of Altagracia?

Here's the link.

Well, I'm embarrassed. I had no idea she was our (4Real forums) patroness. The good thing about that is that it has renewed my joy in celebrating this feast and reading this book which we absolutely love!

Our plans --

**Orange smoothies and quick orange bread for breakfast and orange clove and spice tea for our afternoon tea. I found some great recipes using oranges if you're looking for inspiration - List of Sunkist Recipes using oranges.

**I love the idea of tossing the orange and offering a prayer of thanksgiving or gratitude. I'm going to spend some time helping the children reflect on this during morning devotion so we don't toss the orange and just look at each other dumbstruck.

**From the Centerpiece thread:
Mackfam wrote:
I love MaryM's centerpiece of the Marian apparitions hanging on the Mary tree.

I think I'll do a version of that with the Illuminated Ink Marian Apparitions cards and place our Mary Tree in a large white bowl we have. I think we'll fill the bowl with oranges and perhaps I'll let the kids work on a craft project painting shimmery wooden stars (I'll pick up the star shapes from Michael's) to place between and around the oranges in the bowl (to tie in with the Feast of Our Lady of Altagracia and the stars Quisqueya tried to catch in his blanket as they fell to the ground).

**Inspired by the beautiful artwork in A Gift of Gracias we'll be working on an image of Our Lady of Altagracia inspired by the book. We'll either choose from vibrant watercolors or oil pastels - or maybe both! I can't wait to see the children's creations.

**I'd love to come up with some kind of display for our family Feast Table...wouldn't it be neat to use a beautiful navy blue silk (or a navy blue tulle would be inexpensive and would scrunch/drape nicely) to drape and let the kids paint some lovely shimmery stars to hang on the silk (double sided sticky tape works great with silk!) and then display their artwork of our Lady in front of the starry night sky display. Perhaps I'll even work on some star cutouts and we can use our best penmanship to write out gratitude offerings to scatter along the Feast Table at the feet of Our Lady - little things we're grateful for.

Thank you for bumping this thread, Mary!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I saw a cute art project for littles recently that would be sweet for this feast...orange stamping...like apple stamping but with oranges. I might give the boys different colors of blue paint to make these with.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mackfam wrote:

**I'd love to come up with some kind of display for our family Feast Table...

...here it is.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I altered the above-novena-prayer for a group-prayer-for-children (for private devotion) in case anyone wants to use it.....

Prayers for the Feast Day of Our Lady of Altagracia – Jan. 21

Child #1 ~
(sign of the cross)
O Sweet Virgin of Altagracia, We are gathered here today to celebrate your feast day and to learn from your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all the love of our hearts.

Mom ~ Our Lady of Altagracia, pure and immaculate since your conception! We beg you to bless all children, especially the girls gathered here today to honor you. Jemma, Agnes, (name all children).......

Child #2 ~ O Sweetest Mother of Altagracia, who in your little house of Nazareth, served St. Joseph and Jesus. We ask you to bless our homes and help our families get to heaven.

Child #3 ~ Most Holy Virgin of Altagracia, from the bottom of our hearts, we thank you for all the blessings your pour down on us. From your hands and from your heart we receive, each day, everything given to us by our Heavenly Father.

Child #4 ~ O Sweetest Mother of Altagracia, You are our defender when we are in danger, our aid when we are in need, and our hope in the sacrifices we make. You will reign forever in our homes where we will venerate you as our Lady and Mother by growing in all your virtues.

Child #5 ~ Our Lady of Altagracia, make us worthy of being called your daughters so that someday we will celebrate with you in heaven.   Amen.

Mom ~ Our Lady of Altagracia.....
All ~ Pray for Us. Amen.

We're also doing a simple TRIVIA GAME....here are the questions, in case anyone else wants to use it.....

What are the Blessed Mother's hands DOING in the Our Lady of Altagracia image?
**Folded in prayer          &nbs p;       **In an “arc” form.

How would you describe Mary's face in this image?
**prayerful, joy, peaceful, serene, eyes lowered, meditative,

What is her head covered with? **dark blue veil, crown of pearls
Describe her clothing. **blue cape, white sleeves, stars on cape, decorations on edge.

What is different about one of the stars?
**It has a tail on it. Looks like the star of Bethlehem.

Is there anyone else in the picture besides the Baby Jesus and the Blessed Mother?
**a man. Joseph. on the side. red cape. holding something.

Describe the Baby Jesus in front of Our Lady.
**wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying on straw.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 12:53am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We had fun with our tea party today!!

And, wanted to link a couple more too, for future reference:

Orange Rolls for Our Lady of Altagracia from Catholic Cuisine. Thanks MaryM!

Meredith's "double feast" with an OLA craft.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this, as our 4Real patronal feast is tomorrow!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Totally broke down on my resolution not to order any more books (see the OL of Guadalupe thread!)...found a signed edition of Stories of the Americas on Amazon, and got that and the Guadalupe book....oh, dear!

All of these ideas look fantastic!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Bumping this, as our 4Real patronal feast is tomorrow!

I'm so glad you bumped, Jenn! You beat me to it! I'm spending the afternoon assembling a few things to celebrate this Feast here!

We have our books set out, and orange rolls are on the breakfast menu!

stellamaris wrote:
Totally broke down on my resolution not to order any more books

Both books ARE fantastic!! Enjoy them, Caroline!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Got my books ready, too. I think we'll read "Gift of Gracias" tonight and save "Stories from the Americas" for tomorrow.

Adding Our Lady of Altagracia Retablo to this thread, also.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2015 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Feast of Our Lady of Altagracia today. Since she is the patroness of our 4Real board, especially beautiful to thank her today - as we also celebrate 10 year anniversary of the forum/board these next several weeks.

Our Lady of Altagracia, Pray for Us, all past and present members of 4Real!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2015 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

You never know when Our Lady will show up.

How about Miss Universe national costume show?

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

WOW

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version