Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Simple Cake & Pie Crust Recipe? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I'm working on my next Baked with Love column at Catholicmom.com and I want to end it with a quick, super-easy birthday cake recipe.

Nothing fancy. Just a simple cake recipe.

Does anyone have one? I want light and fluffy. Heavy cakes leave me with a "heavy" feeling.

Thanks ahead of time. This column focuses on the 7 Gifts of the Holy Spirit so, stay tuned...

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Okay...no simple cake recipes?

What about a super easy pie crust recipe?

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I like this one because it's so easy to work with. I had given up and was buying crusts when a friend gave me this one.. now I make all my own.

Pie Crust

1 c. butter/shortening
1/2 t salt
2 1/2 c. flour
1 t vinegar (cider but white would do)
1 egg
1/2 c cold water

cut butter/shortening into flour and salt. Stir in other ingredients. Refrigerate if necessary to roll out.

*Watch it if you're using a mixer to mix it up.. over mixing make it tough stop once it's combined.

*Butter should be soft but not melty.. about the way shortening is at room temp.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

we mainly have chocolate cake.. I use the one on the back of the Hershey's cocoa..

HERSHEY'S "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING(recipe follows)
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.

VARIATIONS:
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

Though I usually use Wilton's Buttercream Icing since I like a "white" icing on chocolate cake.

WILTON BUTTERCREAM ICING
1/2 c shortening
1/2 c butter
hint - all butter or all shortening works
1 t vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar
2 T milk

cream butter and shortening; add vanilla, gradually add sugar 1 c at a time beating well on medium speed. When all sugar is mixed in add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

Chocolate Simplicity Cake

1 cup Self Raising Flour (that would be 1 cup flour, with 1 teaspoon baking powder)
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup milk
a couple of drops vanilla essence
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs

Place all ingredients in a bowl and beat really hard for 3 minutes. Pour into a greased cake tin and bake in a moderate oven (180?C, 340?F) for 30-40 minutes.
Allow to cool for a few minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely before icing.

This is my mum's bog-standard cake for every occasion. it's _so_ easy, and is really yummy—very light and moist too:-)

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Merry Christmas Cay!

The Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn has a simple Sour Cream variation on a cake mix that I make with plain yogurt and although it's not exactly fluffy it is so moist and delicious. I put it in a bundt pan with plenty of grease and flour and it has never stuck. I like it with a simple simple glaze of powdered sugar and a liquid (use leftover coffee, lemon juice or milk and vanilla depending on the cake flavor)...

1 pkg. plain yellow cake mix (use any flavor you have on (hand/my variation)
1 c. sour cream (my version uses 1 c. plain yogurt)
1/3 c. vegetable oil (canola, corn, etc.)
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. sugar
4 large eggs
1tsp. vanilla extract

Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350deg. Lightly mist a 10in. tube pan and dust with flour. Shake out excess flour; set pan aside.

Place cake mix, yogurt, oil, water, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl (or food processor). Blend with mixer (or process) for 1 min. Scrape sides of bowl with rubber spatula and and beat 2 min. more. The batter should look thick and smooth. Pour the batter into prepared pan and place in oven.

Bake the cake until it is golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed with finger, 50-55 min. Remove pan from oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 20 min. Run a long sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert onto a rack to cool. Frost as desired.

to make ahead store unfrosted cake covered in foil for up to a week in the refrigerator or freeze.

Note...I usually start testing for doneness around 45 min.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Thank you for the recipes, ladies.   

mom to 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version