Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Quick, simple & easy snacks? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Hi,

I know, nothing like waiting until the last moment. I could cry.

Anyway, just talked with dh and he said he would like to have some snacky-appetizer-type stuff on Christmas Eve. Since he will only be able to fly home Sunday morning, be here Monday, and fly out very, very early Christmas Morning , I really don't want to spend what little time he is here in the kitchen.

My mind is going blank on ideas. Help? Please? Any good finger foods, appetizers, snacks, that are easy & quick to make? Especially some hot ones too. I have a crock pot...I was thinking something with meatballs or tiny sausages? Something for the oven? Why won't my brain work???? And he doesn't get his first paycheck until after Christmas (the 26th, hahaha).   Figures. So, cheap is good too...

I am doing the Monkey Bread the night before, so I will have that to toss in the oven first thing Christmas Morning. Beyond that, I have no great ideas...

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

cream cheese... with jalepeno jelly over it.. or a chile sauce.. or even just another type of jam (I'm thinking apricot has a nice tart to it) serve with crackers.

a layer dip.. I use refried beans, cheese, sour cream, guacamole (if I can get it), chopped lettuce mixed with chopped green onions, and salsa serve with tortilla chips (this can practically make a meal)

I was just thinking of making garlic bites.. mix fresh minced garlic and whatever other herbs you like.. basil is nice.. but just garlic is fine.. into cream cheese.. spread on tortilla's.. roll them up and refrigerate to help set them.. then slice into pinwheels

not sure on the cost but.. mix cream cheese and braunschwager (a type of soft liver sausage) in equal portions.. serve with crackers..

I love doing a fondue when it's just family.. some good french and sourdough bread.. a basic fondue (in a crock pot is usually easier than a fondue pot) and you can also do fruits that go well with cheese.. apples for instance.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryatHome
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote MaryatHome

Easy recipe #1:

Date Rollups

One pound box of whole pitted dates
Chopped almonds (1/3 cup)
One 8oz block cream cheese (regular or neufchatel, but NOT the fat-free kind)
One tube refrigerated crescent roll dough
Honey (orange juice, too, if you want)

Slit the dates lengthwise if not already done.
Mix the chopped almonds with the cream cheese.

Stuff the dates with the cream cheese mixture.

Unroll the dough from the tube, pressing out the seams. Cut into rectangles about 1x3.

Roll one stuffed date in a dough rectangle. Place on baking sheet seam side down.

Bake at 350 until golden brown (15-18 minutes)

As soon as they come out of the oven, drizzle with honey. (You can mix the honey with a little orange juice if desired, but they are just as good with plain honey). Let cool slightly before serving, but they are also good at room temperature.

Easy recipe #2

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Two 8oz blocks cream cheese.
One large can canned chicken.
Louisiana Hot Sauce to taste. (The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup, but we like it with less)
Chopped green onions if desired.

Mix together. Bake 20-22 minutes until bubbly and hot throughout. Serve with crackers and celery sticks.
Back to Top View MaryatHome's Profile Search for other posts by MaryatHome

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Last year I made this and kept them warm in a crockpot:

Glazed Chicken Wings

Also, I made Dawn's Hot Artichoke Dip - I am sure you can find the recipe in the archives here. I saw a recipe similar to her but instead of serving it as a dip you spread it on slices of French baguettes and then put them in the oven until hot and bubbly. I am going to try it this year.

If you want to go for purchased snacks, we have had good luck with TGIF's artichoke dip and mozzarella sticks. Also with Target's fried ravioli. Talking about fried ravioli, both Paula Dean and Giada de Laurentis have some recipes for making these at home. They are tasty served with marinara sauce for dipping.

Also purchased, we love the Aluette garlic and herbs spread served with bagel bites.

To drink Warm Christmas Punch Of course with the warm temperatures we have had this year here in LA I don't know if we are going to be making this one this year

Also this is a good one Hot Kielbasa Dip( you have to scroll down some)

I can't think of anything else right now.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Brushetta. Baguette with tomato/basil/olive oil. Maybe melted cheese.

Smoked salmon with cream cheese on bread/bagel. (not cheap, though )

The Artichoke dip is YUMMY! We like it with wheat thins!

A simple Pizza.....dough, olive oil w/pressed garlic, seasoning, slices of tomato, mozz cheese, parm cheese. Bake. Yummy!

The kids like those little smokies rolled up in slices of those incredibly greasy croissant rolls.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

sjbacb
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote sjbacb

Check out www.kraftfoods.com

they have tons of easy, cheap appetizers.

These look yummy and easy!
bacon roll ups

Good Luck

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version