Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Modern and Modest Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Hi everyone,

One of my daughters was telling me that American Girl Magazine ran a story about a girl who wrote to Nordstrom asking that they make more modest styles for young people. Nordstrom responded with the Modern and Modest collection. The selections are not all that great (and many are way too tight), but I thought you might be interested in seeing this.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I suppose the models could look more suggestive . I am not really impressed with the line. What happened to normal clothes??????????????

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

marychris wrote:
What happened to normal clothes??????????????

My girls are not teens yet, and I keep telling them how lucky they are. With the ugly styles out there now, the whole thing will probably turn around--perhaps lovely clothes will be "in" when they are teens!

Nordstrom hasn't hit the mark yet, but I'm glad to see the mention of the word "modest" in a main stream department store.

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

alicegunther wrote:

Nordstrom hasn't hit the mark yet, but I'm glad to see the mention of the word "modest" in a main stream department store.

It is nice to see the word modest.
I do miss the Nordstroms of old.......I remember buying great clothes there when I was in high school and college.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

You know, Mary Chris, I'll be interested in the reaction people on this list have when they see these clothes. I was initially glad Nordstrom was at least "trying" and sent the link moments after locating it on the web, but my view has changed on further reflection. I would hate for my kids to think those ultra tight shirts were "modest"! Better to call the collection something else:

How about the "Modern-and-Not-Quite-as-Bad-as-What-You're-Used-To-But-Stil l-Pretty-Sad" collection?

Cottage Blessings

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

alicegunther wrote:
How about the "Modern-and-Not-Quite-as-Bad-as-What-You're-Used-To-But-Stil l-Pretty-Sad" collection?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I think the criteria they used for "modest" was no belly shirts, pant waists seem to be higher, no plunging necklines and no sleeveless or spaghetti straps. Although the models are tight fitting, I usually get around that and buy larger in the top.

I like the effort. I tend to dress classic style, like the "Preppy Look" of old. If you can find classic polos, khakis, oxford shirts, etc. you can look nice and neat. I guess it gets a bit boring...but it keeps me covered while I wait for the next season to find something.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

These are ugly and I think it's really sad; no,it's infuriating ! Why not make modest clothes that girls will want to buy? And how can someone mess up a polo shirt? That girl in the polo shirt leaves nothing to the imagination--it might cover her belly button, but you can still see it. She might want to consider a bra under her shirt too. I'm embarassed for her . I'd like to give Nordstrom the benefit of the doubt and hope they were trying but they just don't know HOW to get it right. Maybe the young lady who touched off this movement could write another letter? Or maybe we can recruit some girls to do so. Or maybe we should all send one copy of Dressing With Dignity to someone on Nordstrom's design team?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, I do agree...the clothes are ugly. I wouldn't wear them in a million years...I dislike the "peasant" and sloppy look.

Have you read "Dressing with Dignity?" The reviews and excerpts I've read seems like it's WAY too extreme.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Elizabeth wrote:
These are ugly and I think it's really sad; no,it's infuriating ! Why not make modest clothes that girls will want to buy?

Ugly--I pretty much think that clothing designers for young women do not like young women.
On a postive note, when shopping with our girls I have noticed longer camisoles for layering. These longer cami's are worn under the regular length tees and blouses. I have also seen plenty of longer skirts and some blouses/oxford style.
As my sister says , she, "just does not get this layering thing." BUT it does give girls who have Moms with rules about spagetti straps in public and tummy baring shirts an option for fashion and modesty.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

jenngm67 wrote:

Have you read "Dressing with Dignity?" The reviews and excerpts I've read seems like it's WAY too extreme.

REally? I'm poking my way through it now but I haven't hit anything extreme. Now, when I bump into teeanged girls in my neighborhood and think about sharing these standards with them, there is a rather large gulf between what Colleen Hammond describes and what the girls are wearing. But she builds her argument reasonably. There's much that could be done with the book. I think the first thing I'll do is get my teenaged son to read it. I'd like his perspective.And it would feed a great homily if a priest were so bold.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

The dresses (even for little girls) are pretty awful.

jenngm67 wrote:
I dislike the "peasant" and sloppy look.

I can agree with the *sloppy* look but my 15 yr old and I love teh *peasant* skirts. There's something *prettily Cajun* in them. Call it a culture thing. We've been looking around for one for her but can't seem to find a top that compliments it.    She needs something new by next month---she'll be doing the readings at church---so I'm getting desperate.

jenngm67 wrote:

Not to mention the controversy. But that's another thread entirely...

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I think Nordstrom is just trying to take what is in "fashion" at the moment and make it more modest - like Jenn said, no belly buttons, no cleavage, etc. You have to at least give them credit for that. The clothes shown, while not very pretty and some tight, do cover A LOT more than the average clothes on many young gals today. Just walk around a mall! And, it is not just teenagers. I've seen more skin, espcially cleavage, on women my age at the grocery store lately - uugghh! Thankfully, we are trying not to raise "average" girls!!

Unfortunately, young gals will try to follow what is in "fashion" at the moment. I cringe when I think of what I wore in high school and college trying to keep up. It wasn't always immodest, although sometimes it was! I've worked with teens for 14 years and it is so very sad to see these Catholic girls trying to keep up with the latest fashions at the expense of modesty. Modest was one of our biggest issues. We would talk about this issue many times over the years, but really, and especially for the young tween gals, it was the fault of their parents who either bought the clothes for them or allowed the gals to wear them!

I think some of the Nordstrom clothes would be better if the colors were prettier, dare I say, more traditional girly colors! The thing I hate to see is a young gal in jeans, tennis shoes and a black sweat shirt - yuck!! So, those long peaseant skirts with a cute (not-so-tight) T-shirt looks feminine to me in comparison.

Side note - I just went to my 20th high school reunion and purposely wore a very pretty bright flowered (different shades of pink) slim (not tight) skirt and tailored white blouse because I did not want to wear black. And....like I thought, most women were in black with lots of cleavage....I do like black for dressing up.....I guess I just wanted to stand out....more than the 5 kids and homeschooling made me stand out Rambling now.....

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I like peasant skirts too Cay! There is something feminine about them...But I can never figure out what to put on top.

Personally, my favorite look for teenaged girls is April Cornell. I'm too short and too curvy for it but it would fit your daughter beautifully Cay.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Elizabeth wrote:
Personally, my favorite look for teenaged girls is April Cornell.

I love April Cornell too. A very dear friend of mine from college owns her own April Cornell store, so I buy many clothes for myself and the girls there. Another very nice option is Hanna Andersson--the women's clothes come in small sizes for teens, and they are classic without appearing frumpy. I also really like Talbot's. It's extremely pricey, but if you can locate a Talbot's outlet near you, it is much more reasonable.

Cottage Blessings

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I generally match my peasant skirts with something very simple and tailored, like perhaps a simple T.

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

If you haven't seen it, "Dressing with Dignity" has a list in the back of modest apparel retailers. I have several friends who've bought from Little Touch of Elegance and have been very pleased with the quality.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

BrendaPeter wrote:
I have several friends who've bought from Little Touch of Elegance and have been very pleased with the quality.

And the prices aren't bad either--especially compared with the national retailers.

Cottage Blessings

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I was wondering if anyone else *feels* different when they wear more modest clothes. I was inspired a few months ago by the modesty thread to try out wearing more modest clothes and skirts, and well I feel different. I even act different. My husband thinks I actually act more gentle when I have my skirt on. I'm beginning to wonder whether being gentle is a virtue more so than a nature. Am I making sense? I feel like I'm making a science project out of this whole experience.

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2005 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

I've bought for myself and two of my girls from Touch of Elegance. I've been very pleased. The dresses are very cute.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version