Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Non-American Catholic traditions? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
   They also talk about (and sell) this book Calavera Abecedario : A Day of the Dead Alphabet Book . Has anyone seen this? Is it gruesome? New-Agey? Scary? Exciting?

Our library had this book so I checked it out to do a review for you. I think it would be fine. I liked it. It is not at all new-agey and isn't gruesome/scary either (as long as your little guy isn't bothered by looking at skeletons). It is very clear in the text & illustrations that the skeletons are not real - it is clear from the story that they are made from paper-mache. The first part of the book tells about a family (the family of Don Pedro Linares) who are famous throughout Mexico for making paper-mache, or cartoneria - especially their calaveras. It shows them making the paper-mache calaveras and explains that they make them for the fiesta of el Dia de los Muertos. When they are done making them, they load the truck and drive into town. That's when the alphabet part starts. They have one calaveras decorated for each letter of the alphabet. They are all Spanish words. Some might be concerned with the "B" which is "Bruja" (witch) and "K" which is "Kahlo" (which isn't a problem if one just explains to kids that she a Mexican artist- there is nothing more mentioned about her in the book).   I had read another book by this same author - Josefina. It was interesting and highlighted another Mexican artist. (I love that one because it shows a breastfeeding baby). The art work in both is very bright and colorful.

The author's note mentioned the other popular uses of paper-mache creations in Mexican celebration. I learned that giant firecracker lined Judas figures are made and ignited during Semana Santa (Holy Week). I remember from my years in Santa Fe that they would start the annual Fiesta de Santa Fe with the burning of a giant paper-mache puppet called Zozobra (Old Man Gloom). I find from the internet that this practice had it's inspiration from the Semana Santa tradition. Very interesting.

jenngm67 wrote:

I'm wondering what age to introduce things like this? I don't want death to be a scary image in 2 yo ds' mind right now. Skulls are eventual reality in everyone's life and death cycle. I don't plan on "hiding" death, but could this be scary at this age?

I've taken my little ones to the cemetery even when they are pretty young. There is one not to far from here. The kids are fascinated by it and it is a way to be around and discuss death. They aren't afraid of going and really enjoy walking around and reading gravestones, feeling the different textures, seeing different types of tombstones/monuments. It really is very interesting. Anyway, it is one way to introduce the subject.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
jenngm67 wrote:
   They also talk about (and sell) this book Calavera Abecedario : A Day of the Dead Alphabet Book . Has anyone seen this? Is it gruesome? New-Agey? Scary? Exciting?

Our library had this book so I checked it out to do a review for you. I think it would be fine. I liked it. It is not at all new-agey and isn't gruesome/scary either (as long as your little guy isn't bothered by looking at skeletons). It is very clear in the text & illustrations that the skeletons are not real - it is clear from the story that they are made from paper-mache.[/quote}

Thanks, Mary! I appreciate you looking it over for me. That helps so much...as usual, you are so thorough!

[quote]I've taken my little ones to the cemetery even when they are pretty young. There is one not to far from here. The kids are fascinated by it and it is a way to be around and discuss death. They aren't afraid of going and really enjoy walking around and reading gravestones, feeling the different textures, seeing different types of tombstones/monuments. It really is very interesting. Anyway, it is one way to introduce the subject.

I agree...and do it all the time. At Steubenville the most romantic spot for walks and picnics was this old Union cemetery. I bring my son, particularly the first week of November, to the cemetery here, but we have no family or connections to the graveyard. But when we go visit in Altoona, Pennsylvania to visit my mother-in-law I like to go to two cemeteries which have family graves from dh's side...including his father. So praying for family members is a key part of the visit. I think the Mystical Body of Christ is a huge part of our life, taught at an early age...and death shouldn't be scary.

So, you helped me. The final decision is up to me. I've got to decide whether or not the skeletons are scary or not for ds....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Jenn,
   I'm sure you've read the Mary Reed Newland "Year and Our Children" chapter on Halloween and All Soul's Day, but just in case not, I really like her discussion thereof. In Mexico, and even in very secular Europe, November 2nd is still the day to go to the cemetary, clean things up, take flowers, pray...and in Mexico, have a party to celebrate the lives of our beloved departed. When I lived in Washington D.C, I always remember visiting the National Cemetary at that time and they were having a cookout! A band, strategically situated near the grave of John Phillips Sousa, was oompah-ing away, and folks were flipping burgers on grills while children chased balloons. It wasn't sacriligious in the least, it was quite joyful. With that in mind, we usually have a little "cleaning session" around the family plot from time to time, and definitely try to get over with flowers and votive candles around, or on, All Soul's Day. We all enjoy it, no one finds it gruesome or wierd---in fact, I think they really enjoy the yard-work aspect (just wish they would clean our own house and tackle the yard-work at home with as much gusto! )

We've been doing "Dia de Muertos" for years, now, too, and the kiddies don't associate it with anything but heaven, despite our plethora of Mexican calaveras---liberally sprinkled with santo statues and saint votive candles, as well as a load of "Eucharistic" pumpkins carved with crosses and symbols of Christ. It helps keep it all in perspective. Just be sure to put out plenty of Soul Cakes (glazed donuts...).

I'm with Mary, I love the piety... and exuberance!... of Mexican liturgical art.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2005 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Kelly wrote:
We've been doing "Dia de Muertos" for years, now, too, and the kiddies don't associate it with anything but heaven, despite our plethora of Mexican calaveras---liberally sprinkled with santo statues and saint votive candles, as well as a load of "Eucharistic" pumpkins carved with crosses and symbols of Christ.

This week Michael's craft store has these wooden, ready to decorate skeletons on sale. I saw them at the store. They are just plain white. They would be perfect to decorate as calaveras - especially in the style of those in the alphabet book.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2005 at 2:32am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The illustrator mentioned earlier, Jeanette Winter, has another Day of the Dead book authored by Tony Johnson. The illustrations are great - I love the borders on each page. It does a good job of introducing the various traditions that are associated with the celebration.

As was mentioned in another post, many depictions of the Day of the Dead are really macabre or new agey, so it's nice to find ones that just talk about the traditions without that. Another book I found is Maria Molina and the Days of the Dead. It includes a recipe for Pan de los Muertos (Bread of the Dead)and author's notes where she explains the days are a combination of Spanish Catholic tradition and ancient Indian beliefs - I wondered about how she explained a few of the traditions in those notes as I think they get away from the Catholic practice. Overall it was an informative book - the only thing I wish they would have left out was a kind of running comparison to Halloween (how if Maria was in the US she would be celebrating Halloween instead of Day of the Dead).

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2005 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kelly wrote:
One thing I'm still looking for---and may have to go to Mexico to find!---is a cd of Spanish songs sung during Las Posadas, the 17th to 24th of December. There is a Tomie de Paula book on theis, "Night of Las Posadas" or something like this, and there are umpteen websites on Las Posadas---this is a lovely Mexican tradition.

Reviving an old thread to insert this on Las Posadas...a short excerpt from a booklet by the Daughters of St. Paul. Looks good. Does anyone have it?

Interesting enough, we had a teenager from Mexico stay at our home for a while and he gave a gift of a nativity set similar to the one on this page. I have always been fascinated by the "halos."

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2005 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

My mom bought that nativity when we were little. I was just telling my husband last night that I want one like it.

I have great memories of doing Las Posadas with (illegal) immigrant farm workers when I was younger. It was all in Spanish so I didn't really understand. I'd like to start this as a tradition with our kids (we already don't buy a tree until the Posadas start)so I may check out this one. I think we may go to a Daughters of St. Paul the 9th or 10th. I'll tell you if I find it.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 02 2005 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rachel May wrote:
My mom bought that nativity when we were little. I was just telling my husband last night that I want one like it.

Look on ebay! I've found quite a few things I grew up that I had to have in my own family. In fact, I just found a baby Jesus that my mother has that we all want. Ebay can solve the dilemma of every family member wanting the same item!

Rachel May wrote:
I think we may go to a Daughters of St. Paul the 9th or 10th. I'll tell you if I find it.
Alexandria's store has take your picture with baby Jesus (instead of Santa) which my sister has done over the years.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version