Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Books for Christ the King? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I actually didn't know where to put this under picture books or Domestic Church?

Anwyay I'm wondering if anyone knows of any books for this feast day for the younger set??

Thanks!

ETA - I tried searching but got way too many results and didn't know how to focus the search.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2007 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

King of the Golden City is a great read aloud! It does have some pictures, and if you read a bit daily, you could read it that week between Christ the King and Advent.

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2007 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Not sure if this would work for you, but we enjoy a picture book by Max Lucado called "The Song of the King."

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2007 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Rachel --

My neighbor just lent me a bunch of books to look at for First Communion Prep... and the title you recmmended rang a bell!! She lent it to me in my pile!! And then I found this little study guide on chc's webiste Study Guide

And Michelle -- thanks!! I know our library has a lot of Max Lucado books, so I'll go see if they have this one!!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2007 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Oooooh! Maryan, thank you!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2007 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Maryan,
I know the feast is just days away, but remembered I had wanted to post this for you. There is a book discussed in past posts that I feel could be used for this feast - The Donkey and the Golden Light. I found it last Christmas, but it could be Christmas or an Easter (Palm Sunday) or Christ the King story. It is beautifully illustrated - gilded with gold. Anyway, it is the story of a donkey born in a Bethlehem stable on Christmas, then accompanies a mother and baby to Egypt. Many years pass and their lives cross again when he is chosen to carry a man (who seems familiar) into Jerusalem. Jenn and Anne liked it too, but did point out as a slight criticism that Jesus rode a colt, not an older donkey. But I think we agreed that is minor and could be explained.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 23 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I read recently from The Liturgical Year by Adolf Adam that

It has often, and correctly, been pointed out that this solemnity [Epiphany], which in the old calendar of feasts was of second rank, right behind Easter (a double of the first class with a privileged octave of the second class) is in fact the real feast of Christ the King in the liturgy. "Only an obscuring of the content of the liturgical feast of Epiphany and an intellectualization of liturgical theology could have led Pius XI in 1925 to introduce a second feast of Christ the King on the last Sunday of October. This move is typical of the development that modern piety has undergone; this development becomes clear from a comparison of the two feasts. The feast of Christ the King celebrates the general idea of Christ's kingship; it celebrates a title of honor, a name, a concept. On the other hand, it is essential to the liturgical feast of Epiphany that it brings before us, in a concrete way, a royal action of Christ, an event that is an essential part of the process of salvation. On the one hand, then, an idea; on the other, the reality of the mystery of Epiphany which contains in itself the entire mystery of redemption." (W. Durig, "Epiphanie" in Erscheinung des Herrn, 1971.)

This got me thinking that it might be appropriate to pull out some of the Epiphany books that touch on Jesus' kingship for this feast. Maybe only in my head...

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Hmmm... interesting Jenn! And MaryM -- I'm so glad you suggested that because I have that book and wouldn't have thought of pulling it out!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version