Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Squirrels and Birdfeeders Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eileenonhim
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote eileenonhim

Anyone have a sure-fire method for keeping the squirrels away from birdfeeders?

I really want to hang feeders (especially ones the children have made) from a dogwood tree outside our living room window, but there are a couple of fat squirrels that are on the lookout for an easy meal, and the birds never even get a chance.

I also want to avoid attracting squirrels to that tree, because it hangs over the play yard. (Visions of fat, nasty squirrels chasing the children looking for food...)

Any ideas, links, etc?

Eileen

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Tami

Eileen, National Geographic sells this Safe Haven Bird Feeder

I saw it in a catalogue we received last week. There's a larger version as well, I just didn't see it on their site.

Looks like it would work. We have a cat, and I would like a birdfeeder as well...

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

You can also buy something from your local farm store (the name escapes me at the moment) which you can mix w/ your birdseed. It is the "hot" part of peppers and it doesn't bother the birds but it keeps squirrels out of the food. They don't like it at all. I have used it before and was satisfied w/ the results. Also, I haven't used it for a while but I don't recall it was expensive.
Good Luck!

"We can do no great things - only small things with great love." Blessed Mother Teresa
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

eileenonhim
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote eileenonhim

Oh, thank you both!

The Safe Haven feeder is actually pretty attractive, I could go for something like that, Tami! And Wendi, the repellent stuff would be perfect for protecting the kids' creations.

Maybe I'll try them some distance from the play yard first, just to be sure, but I'm excited to see if either/both will work!

Thanks for making this easy for me--I had visions of spending long hours weeding through online searches, only to end up using all the wrong advice (been there, done that, that's for sure!) I'm learning to come here first! :)

Warmly,
Eileen

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

OK, squirrels are basically the bane of our existence (altho, becuase of them, I've almost got dh talked into getting the kiddoes a puppy ) ... that said, and please take this in the spirit by which it's suggested (and by my first sentence of this post)....

I'd get this Yankee Flipper -- but my squirrels aren't eating the bird-seed, they're chewing up plastic trash bins, eating garbage, chewing thru our screens and coming in our kitchen (even ate a brand new loaf of Atlanta Bread company cinnamon-raisin bread! ). I'm thinking pellet gun!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Jamberry77
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote Jamberry77

We just had "Critter Control" come to our house to give an estimate to seal up the hole where squirrels are getting in our attic. The guy didn't come right out and tell me, "Get rid of your bird feeders" but he did say repeatedly, "well, when you have a bird feeder, there's a food source for them."

We are getting our roof fixed and keeping our bird bath (the squirrels have been drinking there; big drought here), keeping our thistle feeder (they can't eat that), and keeping our semi-squirrel proof feeder. I've read that squirrels won't eat safflower seeds, so I just put some of that in, and we'll have to wait and see if they'll let it be.

I really like having the birds, and am not ready to get rid of all that (but if the thugs get back in the house, I might end the feeding/watering of the birds).

The squirrels have never chased our kids, by the way. They do chew on everything, though.

eileenonhim
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote eileenonhim

Oh, Mary, the video on the Yankee Feeder site had my kids laughing hysterically and begging for more!! Now THAT's entertainment! (Our squirrels look a lot bigger and fatter than the ones they showed, though, so I'd be interested to see if it's really as big a deterrent as they claim!)

I keep envisioning how bold the squirrels are, Kelly, when they've been repeatedly fed at places like the zoo. It really struck me how a squirrel stared at us, unmoved, when it caught us looking at it through the window. That guy was not shy. I found it a little creepy, actually. You're right, though, offering food is less than wise if I don't want them around...(Like you, I'm not ready to give up yet, though...though if they ate a loaf of bread in my kitchen, I think I'd have to move!!    )

Thank you both. This is turning into a very interesting and fun thread, at least for me!   

Eileen

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2007 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

eileenonhim wrote:
(Our squirrels look a lot bigger and fatter than the ones they showed, though, so I'd be interested to see if it's really as big a deterrent as they claim!)

I keep envisioning how bold the squirrels are, Kelly, when they've been repeatedly fed at places like the zoo. It really struck me how a squirrel stared at us, unmoved, when it caught us looking at it through the window. That guy was not shy. I found it a little creepy, actually.

Eileen
Do you live near me? Our squirrels are EXACTLY like you describe and I'm getting to feel like they're only after us ... tons of pumpkins throughout the neighborhood, we put ours out one night and the next two have been chewed on and one has been scratched!

Like I said, if they get us a dog, it'll be almost worht the trauma! My kids see cute stuffed squirrels at the store and they say "but, we don't like squirrels, do we mommy?"

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version