Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Monthly Composer Study Archive Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 12 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Here's a link list to the archived Composer of the Month Studies.

Sarah organized:

J.S. Bach for March

Johann Strauss II – the Waltz King

Frederic Chopin

Ludwig van Beethoven

Handel

Peter Tchaikovsky

Mozart

Helen organized:

The American Aaron Copland for June

Elgar (English)

Elgar study is followed by
Beethoven’s Adagios

Ralph Vaughn Williams (English)

Bird Songs in classical music

St. Florian’s Composer
Anton Bruckner

Gustav Mahler

Stefoodie organized:

St. Hildegard Von Bingen (1098-1179)

Johannes Ockeghem (Jean de Ockeghem)

Claude Debussy

Haydn

Palestrina

Duke Ellington

Felix Mendelsohnn

Franz Liszt

Dvorak

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 12 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

There is a wealth of info in this thread and I thank all who were involved. I am preparing our music plans for this year. My two dc 6 and 4 have thrived in taking music classes. Music (and all the arts) are VERY important to my dh and me but we simply are not able to continue the classes this year. So I am preparing plans for the year. Rather than reinventing the wheel I have been searching the archives. I have uncovered a wealth of info. I was thinking of a composer/composers per month chronoligically to include early, baroque, classical, romantic, impressionist, and modern music appreciation/history. Now I am questioning that. Does anyone recocomend a better approach for music education? (We are using CHC first grade and it would have been nice to do art appreciation/history along the same timeline but CHC doesnt lay it out that way)
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 12 2009 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

sunny wrote:
I was thinking of a composer/composers per month chronoligically to include early, baroque, classical, romantic, impressionist, and modern music appreciation/history. Now I am questioning that. Does anyone recocomend a better approach for music education? (We are using CHC first grade and it would have been nice to do art appreciation/history along the same timeline but CHC doesnt lay it out that way)

I think that sounds like a very interesting and engaging approach - though it could be a lot of material for one year (especially for first grade). Maybe just focusing on one artist per month in each of the different styles but use that timeline approach. I don't have CHC's plans so don't know how they approach it, but could they just be reorder any art/music appreciation to align with the history and fill as needed if they don't have an artist/composer to fit that time.

And since this thread has been resurrected, it's a great opportunity to ask a question of any readers here in this forum. There was talk at our last moderator retreat about reviving the artist and composer studies. They were a great resource, but after the first year started to lose steam and interest seemed to wane. Is there interest in reviving this and are there some members interested in volunteering to plan a month or coordinate the efforts?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 12 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

MaryM wrote:
   though it could be a lot of material for one year (especially for first grade). Maybe just focusing on one artist per month in each of the different styles but use that timeline approach.
First, thank you for your reply! Yes, I agree completely and I was not clear about that.
MaryM wrote:
I don't have CHC's plans so don't know how they approach it, but could they just be reorder any art/music appreciation to align with the history
I am new to CHC but it seems the artwork is choosen by the theme of the painting and I planned go further with the particular artist or style.
MaryM wrote:
Is there interest in reviving this and are there some members interested in volunteering to plan a month or coordinate the efforts

I guess I am interested

Lastly, I am now questioning the chronological approach because maybe some composers are more important at certain times in the liturgical year???
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version